Had to use the escopeta last night

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed.. You could try loading beanbag rounds in the shotgun.Two questions on this. Why? And where would you buy such ammo if you wanted it here in the DR? Non leathal and gets the job done. If someone is attacking you, getting the job done is killing that person. I would however have the 38 tucked in close just in case the beanbags didn't make the intruder run away. That means you have to get both a shotgun license, which has been perpetual here AND and pistol license which needs to be renewed each and every year complete with drug test and a trip to Santo Domingo for an annual ballistics check.
Any firearm here is going to be very expensive to purchase. Pistols are expensive to purchase and to keep.
If I have a weapon here, it will be loaded only with lethal rounds.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've considered getting a pistol crossbow for such occassions. Silent, decent range, and I'm pretty sure I can bring bolts back i my luggage (there was 0 interest in the knives I brought in when I came here and they searched *everything* that trip).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've considered getting a pistol crossbow for such occassions. Silent, decent range, and I'm pretty sure I can bring bolts back i my luggage (there was 0 interest in the knives I brought in when I came here and they searched *everything* that trip).

I do not expect that would be a problem at all. Archery equipment does not appear to face any type of scrutiny. The main issue I have with such devices is their single shot ability. A compound bow would be able to shoot arrows more quickly than a crossbow, however more skill would be needed.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Any firearm here is going to be very expensive to purchase. Pistols are expensive to purchase and to keep.
If I have a weapon here, it will be loaded only with lethal rounds.

Two answers. Probably buy the beanbag rounds in country considering they are available in PR, USVI, and SXM. Have you ever more another human being Winde?? I get a kick out of people thinking that it's *no big deal.. Why is simple. I would rather NOT kill another human being unless it's absolutely necessary.*

BTW, the OP already stated he had a 38 in a previous post.. Do try and keep up! *

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
LOL, I have a wrist-rocket and a bag of marbles, along with a 4 ft ironwood club and a 7 ft long sharped pole, as well as a machete or two. I have no interest in having a gun in my house, although I understand how much better a killing device it is. I have people living on all sides of me that although somewhat noisy make the place quite a bit safer. We have good street lighting and also several very bright lights on the house in good locations. We also have a number of very possessive street dogs that are aggressive and noisy , especially after dark. No place is fort knox, but we are pretty secure, and our cameras have not picked up any attempted entries.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I do not expect that would be a problem at all. Archery equipment does not appear to face any type of scrutiny. The main issue I have with such devices is their single shot ability. A compound bow would be able to shoot arrows more quickly than a crossbow, however more skill would be needed.

That's what gives me pause; the reload time involved if there are 2, or if I miss with the first shot. I'd need 2-3 seconds on a good day, and nerves would add to my response time.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
i don?t believe that a transplanted foreigner is going to be able to bring the weight of his clan to the proceedings.

It has worked for me, albeit in less serious instances. It's funny when you go into the fiscal's office and the other party finds out he's your wife's primo .

I imagine it's the same for some of my friends like CB, Frank or Bob Saunders.*

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It has worked for me, albeit in less serious instances. It's funny when you go into the fiscal's office and the other party finds out he's your wife's primo ��������.

I imagine it's the same for some of my friends like CB, Frank or Bob Saunders.*
The DR is a country of relationships.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And never forget Lloyd Bridges..........SeaHunt

A speargun is a good weapon...
silent and lethal
I had three standard Olin (now Orion) flare guns on my boat. I also has three sleeve adapters that could convert a flare gun to a single shot .410 shot gun.

Some sleeves adapter go up to 12ga, but I can't imagine shooting a 12ga. pistol because the kickback on a 12ga. shotgun is stunning. Other adapters accommodate bullets of different calibers.

I didn't like a gun on board, but the flare gun adapter offered some security. I kept one loaded with a .410, but no one knew but me.

Flare guns are plastic. I wonder if one could be bring in pieces in different bags. Sleeves are innocuous enough. Are .410 shells available in the DR?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Lost my old underware shorts last night in a similar incident at my house.....About 9.30 pm. someone rings my front bell at the gate 3 times, I cant see anyone so I figure they are checking to see if I am home... so I turn on and off the lights 3 times.... I figure something will happen soon and at about ten pm it does....I hear the neighbors dog giving that bark that means some ones out back.....I also hear some one climbing my back wall... and then playing with my back door.... I was out the side door at this time with ball bat in hand, as I had left the back light out... anyway before anything very stupid could happen.. all hell breaks loose in the house next door....while one person was robbing my back yard of old laundry...another was doing some serious robbing of the second floor bedroom of the grandfather of the Dominican family that lives there.... the grand father wakes up waves a gun at the bandido....Any way both bads guys dissapear in to the night????? leaving me standing in the dark holding a ball bat.......Then i notice I am missing my favorite old hanes underware shorts, and 2 t shirts... but they have left behind a very nice ,almost new bicycle..... I was thinking what a deal I made, new bike , old laundry gone.... then my Dominican neighbor comes over and says. have you seen my new bike?????Like I said before i lost my shorts.... just cant make that up...................Doc.................

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lost my old underware shorts last night in a similar incident at my house.....About 9.30 pm. someone rings my front bell at the gate 3 times, I cant see anyone so I figure they are checking to see if I am home... so I turn on and off the lights 3 times.... I figure something will happen soon and at about ten pm it does....I hear the neighbors dog giving that bark that means some ones out back.....I also hear some one climbing my back wall... and then playing with my back door.... I was out the side door at this time with ball bat in hand, as I had left the back light out... anyway before anything very stupid could happen.. all hell breaks loose in the house next door....while one person was robbing my back yard of old laundry...another was doing some serious robbing of the second floor bedroom of the grandfather of the Dominican family that lives there.... the grand father wakes up waves a gun at the bandido....Any way both bads guys dissapear in to the night????? leaving me standing in the dark holding a ball bat.......Then i notice I am missing my favorite old hanes underware shorts, and 2 t shirts... but they have left behind a very nice ,almost new bicycle..... I was thinking what a deal I made, new bike , old laundry gone.... then my Dominican neighbor comes over and says. have you seen my new bike?????Like I said before i lost my shorts.... just cant make that up...................Doc.................

nobody has accused some of these guys of being bright...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had three standard Olin (now Orion) flare guns on my boat. I also has three sleeve adapters that could convert a flare gun to a single shot .410 shot gun.

Some sleeves adapter go up to 12ga, but I can't imagine shooting a 12ga. pistol because the kickback on a 12ga. shotgun is stunning. Other adapters accommodate bullets of different calibers.

I didn't like a gun on board, but the flare gun adapter offered some security. I kept one loaded with a .410, but no one knew but me.

Flare guns are plastic. I wonder if one could be bring in pieces in different bags. Sleeves are innocuous enough. Are .410 shells available in the DR?

I know of people that have brought flare guns and flares in their checked bags from the US. I don't know about .410 shells. I doubt it because they tend to focus only on 12 gauge shotguns here.