Help With Marriage License Questions

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
We had the luxury of visiting for the 1st time this past year, and loved it so much we are going back next year to get married. My question is regarding certified copies of marriage license. ( with the raised seal) In Jersey...USA..we have to show these copies in order to go to Motor Vehicle...Passports...social security etc... I want to make sure that before I venture out of the USA for something this important, that I will have everything required by the USA... when I get back. ( hopefully tan n relaxed) Can you tell me how I make sure I get everything needed before I come home? Thanks so much

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
A little bit of Help

Hello...

I got married in the capital this past February. Lived in Maryland. I had to go to a Dominica Consulate in Baltimore Maryland and get both my husband and my birth certificates translated into spanish and stamped as well as having a single affadavit translated and stamped. (Prior to sending the single affadavit to the consulate I had to have it notarized while in english). Then once I got here all I needed was those 2 things and both of our passports. That is what I gave to the Justice of the Peace. At the wedding I got a piece of paper stating we were married like a certificate. After the wedding I had to wait 3 business days and then go to the license place in the capital (sorry forget the name) and get what is called the Acto (?) That then was very official with more detailed information and all the stamps. It worked fine in the United States for changing my license, however when going to change my social security card the social security office requested that I go back to the consulate and have the acto translated into english with all the stamps. After I did that, it is accepted for any documentation anywhere.

Hope this helps.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks so much for your help.....I guess I would have to contact the consulate in NYC..and go from there. After what you have told me..it may not be worth it.. I was an army brat..and I have SO MUCH trouble now just getting stuff as my birth certificate is in french..and from France....the idea of all these translations kinda scares me....But I am gonna check it out, and thank you again for all the helpful info