Hit or Myth

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know people in Canada/USA that drive drunk and have never been caught !!
Top that !!

I know people that have shoplifted and never been charged.

But the real question is "do you know anyone in THIS country that HAS been charged for driving with a foreign license."?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
1. yes
2. not true
3. yes but it will be more than 50 dollars
4. a lie
5. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, maybe if they are over 10 year old

nr 3:
Yes, you can have a car insurance here for less than US$ 50, it's the minimum insurance you need by law.

The other answers are correct.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was under the impression that even the minimum insurance depended on the car, that is 6 cylinders cost more than 4 cylinders. but i'm not gonna argue that.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
But the real question is "do you know anyone in THIS country that HAS been charged for driving with a foreign license."?

Very true. We don't hear such stories.

What we do hear of is stories such as the Oregon driver who recently got locked up for many days after he had an accident driving a hired car near La Romana. Having an accident whilst driving on a foreign license it appears leads to greater difficulties for the driver. We don't hear of foreigners with local licenses having problems too.

Following the law and driving with a current Dominican license appears to be a problem for Dominican society as a whole. It has been highlighted very recently (fourth para. of recent article below) and is considered a cultural problem that needs tackling by the relevant authorities. When that happens is anybody's guess. Know the rules, the risks and make your choice.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...in-licencia-en-republica-dominicana-KN1618059

El director de Tr?nsito Terrestre explic? que solo con esos requisitos, sin examinar, le dar?an la licencia. Sin embargo a?ade que aun as? no lo aprueban. Estrella expres? que es un problema cultural, que hay que estudiarlo y corresponde a las instituciones que tienen que ver con la fiscalizaci?n, en este caso la Polic?a Nacional y la Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte (AMET), tomar las medidas en esa direcci?n. Con relaci?n a los autom?viles, explic? que el pa?s tiene un mill?n ochocientos mil con licencia, de esa cantidad casi el 40% la tiene vencida y alrededor de 100 mil la tienen caducada, “o sea que dejaron pasar 9 a?os sin renovarla y han perdido el derecho. Esas personas tendr?n que hacer el procedimiento completo

Will DR remain in the Dark Ages with a terrible traffic accident rate of will they at some point the relevant authorities do something about it?

Aug 6, 2006
One thing that seems universal in Latin America is the old Spanish saying about the law: "se obedece, pero no se cumple".
One obeys, but does not comply.
I recognize the law and the need for people to obey it , but do not personally feel the need to comply with it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If a Dominican with NO license has an accident with a Gringo holding a Dominican license guess who is at fault?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I know people in Canada/USA that drive drunk and have never been caught !!
Top that !!

I know people that have shoplifted and never been charged.

Had a Canadian friend in Luperon who sailed down here many years ago, live with a DR lady, had a child with her,ran a boat brokerage and sold a bit of real estate on the side. Did it all without a residence permit and never paid taxes the whole time he was here. He died last year. Complications due to chickV. A bit of a character but you got to admire his approach to life here. You could probably get away with it in el campo. I miss him.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes, but when I get pulled over for traffic infractions I pass them my Tenn license and have never had it declared invalid, though i realize it is.

Cool! Wonder if I could do that with my Newfoundland license?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Eco49

Car ownership for infrequent users can be a headache....
repairs, insurance....it's a long list.

I keep two in RD and two in NoAmerica..... an expert of sorts.

For your situation, renting is the way to go - albeit a touch more $$$
but perhaps cheaper in the long run.

Good luck

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A brief search found this one for $11,500. It's a 2006
http://www.corotos.com.do/distrito_nacional/carros_jeepetas_y_camionetas/Honda_CRV_1999441.htm

2892520901.jpg

They'll take $9,500 cash on the spot...

Jan 9, 2004

I think your basic premise is correct about being charged for driving with a foreign license. I too have never heard of anyone.....but, I have heard of an insurance company denying a claim for automobile damage because the operator did not have a valid license to operate in the DR.

And while I am not sure how that eventually worked out, they initially did deny the claim.

To the OP.......given your circumstances.....IMHO, I would continue to rent....for lots of the reasons cited above.....and then some.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree PC2....

In fact , I would argue that any insurance company in any country would deny a claim on the basis of an invalid/expired license.

A classic case of buyer beware...... paying for nothing in this case.

Basically, will you be charged ??? Dunno
but one thing for certain.... you have a claim to nothing.. no protection, no insurance

When you are not covered under the law............. as would be the case here.

We have beaten this to death in other threads
but always, the loose lips flap.

They'll really flap when they're in the hoosgow.....
if they have internet !!!

hahaha

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If I was the OP, I would consider living life a little close to the edge and having an adventure. If I was staying for three to four months at a time, go away and come back a few months later I would want my own wheels too. The car rental companies are such rip off merchants, even the big brand ones like Avis and Hertz have their own little twists with a sting at the end of rental.

I would go on the classified ads and buy a $2,000 jalopy and keep it in the original owners name. Just get a sales contract drawn up with a local lawyer. Get it insured with the minimum cover allowed by law and make sure your windscreen stickers are up-to-date. If you do ever get pulled over the only documents you need are either red or blue. The red one says 1000 and the blue one says 2000.

But in order to do that one would need a little mechanical knowledge and some tools, because it will break down. And also good command of Spanish would be essential. For me it would part of the adventure!

$30 a day for three months car rental is $2,700, so what's the risk? And if you're lucky you'll have your own wheels when you return!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They'll take $9,500 cash on the spot...

Gracias Pichardo. Looks like it's in excellent shape. So my friends were right about a CRV in the $10,000 range. It's just a matter of shopping around. I spend a fair bit of time visiting friends in the country where the road require a vehicle with a bit of height.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I agree PC2....

In fact , I would argue that any insurance company in any country would deny a claim on the basis of an invalid/expired license.

A classic case of buyer beware...... paying for nothing in this case.

Basically, will you be charged ??? Dunno
but one thing for certain.... you have a claim to nothing.. no protection, no insurance

When you are not covered under the law............. as would be the case here.

We have beaten this to death in other threads
but always, the loose lips flap.

They'll really flap when they're in the hoosgow.....
if they have internet !!!

hahaha

Point well taken Bill. Thanks.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
If a Dominican with NO license has an accident with a Gringo holding a Dominican license guess who is at fault?

I had an accident with a Dominican with NO license, in Santo Domingo, in front of AMET officers. I was driving a big jeepeta with steel offroad front bumper, so I had no damage, his car had a rear door and rear fender damaged. He tried to make a left turn from the right lane where the left turn is prohibited, I was going straight forward in the left lane. AMET officer came to us, asked me for the license. I said ask him first. The guy said he has no license. I said ok, I have to go. AMET officer asked me if I want to exchange our phone numbers and other info with the guy. I said no because I have no damage and it's not my problem, and why the hell I have to give my info to the idiot who has no license. After this I just went back to my truck and left the scene. Nobody tried to stop me. Happened about one year ago, intersection of Tiradentes and 27 de Febrero.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Once again you have been a wealth of information. Thanks to one and all for covering my back. After reading all the posts, I will stick to rentals until I move here and run the red gauntlet of bureaucratic tape to get my temporary citizenship, drivers license and then purchase a vehicle. You can be a rowdy bunch but your a good bunch!

Enjoy your day for tomorrow we may die.

Btw. The Canadian guy who was arrested by the Policia Cestur at my resort yesterday was back free by late evening. His Canadian girlfriend refused to press charges for his assault on her. Lucky SOB!

Still cheaper to buy a vehicle and have a driver OR drive yourself.
As for your friend, if he really assaulted a chick I wish they kept him and moved him to a prison. If any women ever deserved a beating it was my ex but thank God I was never enough of an a**hole to stoop to that.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Still cheaper to buy a vehicle and have a driver OR drive yourself.
As for your friend, if he really assaulted a chick I wish they kept him and moved him to a prison. If any women ever deserved a beating it was my ex but thank God I was never enough of an a**hole to stoop to that.

He's not my friend. Just an arrogant young ahole. I totally agree. A few months in a DR jail would change his perspective on assault.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Remember the Alamo!

Yes, but when I get pulled over for traffic infractions I pass them my Tenn license and have never had it declared invalid, though i realize it is.

You gotta have some of Davey Crocketts gumption in you to continue to scam the police with your invalid Tenn license. My favourite defender of the Alamo. When he told Congress he was going to defend the Alamo, they told him he was insane. He said, "Gentlemen, you can all go to hell. I'm going to Texas".

I visited the Alamo twice. Found a defender from a West Virginia Regiment with the same family name as mine. Not saying he was related but was extremely proud anyway. I've taken on a few lost causes during my lifetime.