Hookworms in Punta Cana

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now that the word is out and the media is interested, we'll have to watch and see if any more reports of hookworm infection are reported. For now it's an isolated case that could have happened to anyone. Yet another reason to get a handle on the stray dogs and cats in this country. While it is tempting for tourists to feed the animals they encounter, it's not a good idea to encourage the strays to hang around.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Those pics are severe! That would be worse than stepping on a cigarette butt and squeezing out nicotine that would leach out and kill the reef off shore! Like we were warned about last month!
Der Fish

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Wash, wash, wash

It is unfortunate the Canadian couple got infected. However, the hookworms are endemic, common to tropical zones. The DR is in the tropics.

Although the couple stayed at IFA Resort and Spa, it is not written in concrete or evidenced they acquired the infection there. The walkable beach extends from there for kilometers in front of many other resorts to El Cortecito.

The parasites are not prejudiced, they are everywhere. The parasite is hosted in animal including human feces that contaminate soil. The resorts clean the beaches and grounds daily. They fumigate against mosquitos and apply insecticides. However, the practice does not prevent pests from being carried into grounds and building interiors from tainted shoes or other means from elsewhere.

It is not an uncommon practice in the DR for persons entering a house to remove their shoes at the door out of respect and sanitation.

Recommendations to travelers and others is to always keep some form of footwear on, wash wash wash, see the house or local medical professional at first unusual symptoms of anything, and travelers purchase medical insurance. If ill back at home consult a tropical illness professional if your own medical provider does not have a clue.

Regards,.

PJT

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Those pics are severe! That would be worse than stepping on a cigarette butt and squeezing out nicotine that would leach out and kill the reef off shore! Like we were warned about last month!
Der Fish

Do you have a specific scientific methodology to back up this assertion?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No responsibility

Now that the word is out and the media is interested, we'll have to watch and see if any more reports of hookworm infection are reported. For now it's an isolated case that could have happened to anyone. Yet another reason to get a handle on the stray dogs and cats in this country. While it is tempting for tourists to feed the animals they encounter, it's not a good idea to encourage the strays to hang around.

There are indigenous animals, feral animals, and pets. All can be hosts and transporters of parasites. To control them from hosting parasites is a large undertaking and not a priority for the government. What is annoying is pet owners not taking the responsibility to clean up after their creatures. What is more annoying is allowing their pets to do their duty in any common area, public or private, other than areas of their own masters.

An observation is this hookworm incident is receiving foreign media attention and local attention is nil at the time of this posting. Arrive at your own conclusion.

Regards,

PJT

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe there is more to this story than is being revealed. Albeit, a very serious and unfortunate health incident, but were these two young tourists only confined to and infected by the beach area of their hotel? How do we know this for certain? How many times do we see visitors, both young and old, pledge the "I am in my holiday moment relaxing" mode, and participate in bizarre liberties. How often do tourists kick off their shoes, and frequent areas they should not be walking barefoot in? I for one have seen global air travelers frequently use airplane restrooms barefoot. I have seen hotel and resort occupants kick off their shoes on the dance floors of discos, and then later casually walk to the restroom of said businesses. Many individuals leave the beach, again barefoot, and frequent restrooms lining the respective beach area. Just yesterday, I witnessed a 60+ year old European woman walk through a puddle of urine that a Haitian street vagrant had just deposited 10 minutes earlier. As she was in all her glory at the moment, she did not heed one warning to steer clear of the unsanitary condition, and actually laughed it off. Regardless if you are a north shore, south shore, east end or city dweller, I take it that you have all at one point in time witnessed something done by a tourist that would make you cringe. Utilizing a restroom barefoot is one of these matters that occurs way too often. It is disgusting, but does occur. I would not be too quick to condemn this particular hotel, it's beach, or region for this unfortunate incident.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Well actually, I’ve mostly just seen Dominican men urinate whenever, wherever.  I’m not arguing with you, just stating my personal observation.  

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I can remember Parasitology Class in 1973 and it was stressed then to never walk bare foot on the sand in any Caribbean region as Hook Worms are prevalent. I've always made it a point to wear flip-flops on the sand and have thus far been quite lucky avoiding these little buggers! I think the Dominicans probably use Vicks Vapo Rub to treat this condition! :confused:

Sorry, but I think this couple could have just as easily picked up this problem at their resort, even in their own room. I have never heard of anyone else ever contracting hookworm walking down a beach. Additionally I don't see many people wearing flip-flops on there stroll down the beach in LT.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Stop letting dogs sh*t on the beach. Should do the trick.
Don't Forget horse mines, they must be loaded with cooties too. Horse and dog diapers hand out by the cigarette police on the beaches is surely in our future!

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Sorry, but I think this couple could have just as easily picked up this problem at their resort, even in their own room. I have never heard of anyone else ever contracting hookworm walking down a beach. Additionally I don't see many people wearing flip-flops on there stroll down the beach in LT.

A couple of years ago a fellow in Cabarete had told me he contracted a hookworm from Cabarete beach. Nothing so gruesome though. The doc gave him some medication and it went a way. I suppose while rare, it can happen on all beaches and anywhere people go barefoot.