how do i say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm not absolutely sure, maybe one of our members with more recent experience of academia can clear this up, but I would have said Maestr?a (Masters) is more common on this side of the pond, while Posgrado (post-graduate) is a more European expression.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
I'm not absolutely sure, maybe one of our members with more recent experience of academia can clear this up, but I would have said Maestr?a (Masters) is more common on this side of the pond, while Posgrado (post-graduate) is a more European expression.

No, actually both terms are used in the Dominican Republic. A posgrado takes only one year or less where as the maestr?a takes normally from one to two years to be completed. The term mag?ster is slowly being phased out.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
How do I say master degree in Spanish?

As others have stated, "maestr?a" is the translation. However, the Spanish language also accepts the term "m?ster" (from the English master and this from the latin word magister[/I)]. The term m?ster is used by many universities in Spanish-speaking countries. A university might list the m?steres it offers.
http://www.ual.es/contenidos2008/educacionMasteresDoctorado.shtml

In the US and the DR (and in some other countries) a master's degree falls under the category of "postgraduate" studies. In order for an individual to enroll in this program, he/she must possess a bachelor's degree - licenciatura, in the DR. (Some universities might offer a combination of the two.)

How long does it take to get a master's degree? It depends on the student and the university. Most universities do give a time limit. I did it in two years, but a classmate of mine had to ask for an extention since she did not get to finish it wihin the time allotted -7 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chirimoya

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
In many countries, including the DR if I am not mistaken, you can take a pos-grado that is not a full degree. In the States it is the equivalent of a certificate course.

If you mean a MS, MA, MBA that you would get in the States, then use maestria or master. Here I say "m?ster." Most people I work with know what I mean, whereas people I encounter in personal situations will get it after I say "maestria."

Either way, you'll sound like a smarty-pants. :)

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
In many countries, including the DR if I am not mistaken, you can take a pos-grado that is not a full degree. In the States it is the equivalent of a certificate course.

That is correct. I addressed the original question: How to say "master degree" in Spanish. I expanded on it for clarification. I also said that a "master" falls within the category of postgraduate studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.