How gay friendly is Sosua?

Herbwoman

Jun 21, 2009
Looking into moving to Sosua

Our business partner is currently there in Sosua and plans to move there next year. Hubby is afraid of where the US economy is going so we are in the early stages of looking into following.

I'm an Out and Proud Bi chick and I have no plans on going back into the closet for anybody. I've read that some parts of the country are not safe for members of the LGBT community so I'm kind of worried.

Am I worrying for no reason? I've read that there are no protections for LGBT people and there are fewer rights.

I'd love to hear any information anyone can give me.

Mar 2, 2008
I agree, you are worrying for no reason.

There are things to be concerned about, and there are things you should be at least aware of, but I haven't noticed any particular bias against gays or lesbians (or bi-sexuals) in Sosua.

That being said, it's probably not a good idea to flaunt any alternative life-style. In general. it is a pretty conservative culture. For the most part, people are tolerant as long as it doesn't appear to that someone is challenging their beliefs.

In my opinion. most overt displays of affection (apart from hugs and kisses in greeting, and occasional hand-holding) are best left to private settings, regardless of sexual orientation.

B

BettyDiamond

ive noticed some straight Dominican men like to hold hands......ive mostly noticed this away from tourist towns especially Nagua for some reason, ...has anyone else noticed this phenomenon