I met my Match.com man.....

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
I just got back from Santo Domingo. I just wanted to give everyone an update on the Dominican man I met on match.com. Well, let me say everything seemed legit!!!

He picked me and my brother up from the airport with on Sunday, and he was very polite and such a gentleman. I was a little suprised on this ride to the hotel, because he is a TERRIBLE driver, and that made me very nervous. Anyway, On Sunday everything was closed, so he took us a small little place to eat and it was so nice. Then he took us to the Malecon and around to an area called Conday. We did some shopping and he showed us the Cathedral there, which he says the the first in the country or something. He was so proud to show us his country. He was telling me about its History, and he acted like it was the best country in the world. It was sort of cute.

Anywho, the days I could go was bad because he had to work, but that gave me time to see the city with my brother. My Dominican man told me what taxi's to take, and he would even call the taxi for me to get a better rate. He met us for lunch a few days and I even saw where he worked. He brought me the first day there to his office, which was humble, but nice. Then the next day, I suprised him at his job and even talked to his boss first hand with out planning on his part.

At night he took us to a few bars that played Dominican Music, which was interesting. He tried to teach me to dance, which was funny. My parents are from Spanish descent, but I am a pure gringa. He was trying to get me to dance and speak spanish. He was saying, "You have Dominican and Cuban in your blood, you should be proud." It was really cute when he said that.

So, I can definately see he is so proud to be Dominican and to be from that country.

Well, next thing he wants to come to visit me in the United States. He is fun to be with and I enjoy his company. My brother liked talking to him about Baseball and other sports. It was a good time. So, I guess the next step is getting him a visa....:bunny:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
KariAnn,

Please note that you will be expected to perform certain duties you might not like if you get into a long relationship or you marry this gentleman.

I don't want to be the one to break it to you. But soon enough you will find out.

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
KariAnn,

Please note that you will be expected to perform certain duties you might not like if you get into a long relationship or you marry this gentleman.

I don't want to be the one to break it to you. But soon enough you will find out.

What sort of duties???

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
travel visa to where ? the US ? that decision is left up to Homeland Security.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
..Well, next thing he wants to come to visit me in the United States. He is fun to be with and I enjoy his company. My brother liked talking to him about Baseball and other sports. It was a good time. So, I guess the next step is getting him a visa....:bunny:
No more WAG .... better move on it fast, he's coming. :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, that cathedral was the first in the New World!! That city was the first administrative center for Spain in the New World...yeah, I'd be peoud of that, too.
That street you were on is the Conde (like a count), but we understood.

As for you getting him a visa? FORGETABOUTIT....you can do nothing to assist him on that count. UNLESS you declare that you are going to MARRY him....OMG!!!

Just be slow and careful...

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Come on guys...I know that you're all jaded, because you've seen these stories a zillion times, but THERE ARE exceptions. If he has a decent job (she didn't say where he works or what he does) and has traveled to The US before then why couldn't he get a visa on his own. You never know...maybe he's one of those people who don't necessarily want to leave The DR (of which there are many)...and she didn't say she would be the one trying to get it for him.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He told me he had a travel visa before, for work. And, so I think he should be able to get a visitor's visa too??? I do not think it is much different.

listen kariann, stop listening to these dominican experts. they only know jobless chopos , motoconchos or their maids. You are wasting your time with these pseudo experts. these people don't know a single decent dominican, nor they speak any decent spanish. they live in gated communities. Listen to expats who live in santiago and SD. they know the real deal.
the guy you have in your hands is 100 times better than the guys most foreign women meet in this island. he may not be the best but he is certainly not the ones I see arm in arm with foreign women in resort areas.

This guy will get a visa on his own just like thousands others. Amerian airlines, delta etc flights are full with dominicans traveling to USA and no, they didn't marry gringos to get visas. If these domincian experts get to see how the proud domincians live in santiago and SD, they would feel very little.
the guy you have in hand, may not be rich but he is better than the rest of the guys these experts know in this island.
stop being suspicious of him and try to understand him better.
now if you think these dominican experts are so well integrated in dominican culture to have an opinion on people here, I dare you to see their pictures in the Dr1 gatherings in sosua. Look at the way they are dressed and how they present themselves. look at what types of dominican men and women they bring to gatherings as their wives, husbands and boyfriend / girlfriend. then you will know what types of people they socialize with. Don't worry about them at all.
My domincian friends travel to USA and europe regularly and non of them needs to get married to a gringa to get visas. they live quite well on their own.
AZB

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Where are the wise ones?

Why is it that everytime someone meets a dominican and is interested in a relationship, all we hear are the doomsday warners with the same "I would advise that you forget about it" line?

There are people that are married to dominicans on this board but they also join the chorus. Well, why don't they tell us how they met their spouse so others can learn from them and see how smarter they are...than everybody else.

......or maybe the rule is 'You can marry a dominican as long as you don't tell anyone how you met ..... or before you do it or how you intend to did it'.

Why are you all going to live there and some of you are marrying women that are almost less than twice your age?. I sure would like to know how you met your spouse and whether economics did not play a role in her decision?.

I once met an expat in Sosua who actually married a former whore and he actually said that when her wife was whoring, she was only doing it sparingly so she is okay. Oh please!.

I think that a thread should be set up where those that have succesfully married dominicans can share their experiences with others (how they met etc) so that others can learn and see where they may be going wrong otherwise all these doomsday warnings do not make much sense.

It is very difficult to make a judgement about people without having come into physical contact with them. They are many things that go into judging an individual other than a 20 line report.

I guess that 'wise people' do not share their experiences. Only fools do that.

This is not written as a support for the OP, but to the extent that I am yet to read about an 'encouraging relationship ' based on the comments on a report, it seems that something is definitely wrong here.

I just came back not quite long ago from my 'querida cuba' and the afterglow is yet to subside so if my comments do not make sense, please blame it on that.

Saludos a todos

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
sholly 24

There is such a thread about sucessfull relationship with Dominicans. It is a sticky in the Mars and Venus forum.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
What sort of duties???

Things like cooking a fresh meal DAILY and if you behave you get Sunday's off. Making sure the house is spotless clean DAILY (this includes picking up after him) and doing a FULL HOUSE cleanup on the weekend. Sex whenever HE feels like it. And last but not least recognizing that he is the man of the house and he makes all the decisions. He is never to be questioned.

I'm sure I left some out but those are the basics.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
There is such a thread about sucessfull relationship with Dominicans. It is a sticky in the Mars and Venus forum.

Thanks for the information but most of them seem to be after the fact (after the marriage etc) . So maybe we should wait for the OP to give us a feedback in 8 years time and we might decide whether to stick her story there.

Suprisingly there is a story of a person that met an animacion guy and who has a successful marriage years after which just goes to prove what I am trying to say.

I am more interested in someone who writes an 'intelligent report' about meeting a dominican and is not being pulled down. By 'intelligent report', I mean a report that meets the standards of the doomsday warners

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's the point! the doomsday prophets will want PROOF that the relation is succssesful for at least 10 years before they let go and even then they'll say "fluke!"

kariAnn

Jun 20, 2006
Things like cooking a fresh meal DAILY and if you behave you get Sunday's off. Making sure the house is spotless clean DAILY (this includes picking up after him) and doing a FULL HOUSE cleanup on the weekend. Sex whenever HE feels like it. And last but not least recognizing that he is the man of the house and he makes all the decisions. He is never to be questioned.

I'm sure I left some out but those are the basics.

I am not worried about that. He loves to cook, and he lives by himself without a maid and his apartment is spotless. In fact, he offered to cook for me and my brother one night at his apartment, but instead we went to dinner.

And, no he does not make all the decisions. We have been talking for over six months and he knows what kind of person I am. Very strong-willed and independent, and that is what he is attracted to.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Kari: The only thing I would suggest is try to learn a little bit more about The DR as you came through as a complete airhead in your post i.e. You said "Then he took us to the Malecon and around to an area called Conday. We did some shopping and he showed us the Cathedral there, which he says the the first in the country or something.

He was trying to show you some important things about the history of the country and you obviously were not paying much attention or didn't care. If he's a proud Dominican as you say I can see how this could create friction in a relationship. It's as if you went out of your way to show him the Smithsonian and he says "She was trying to show me this place where they keep old stuff or something..."

Maybe it bothered me more than it would bother him as he's going to be getting some from you and I'm not...LOL