I miss the DR

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
let's not joke ourselves that your average european or american will be able to char about physics. i don't expect that from my man. but i expect some brains and education. i hate it when totally normal, educated and nice foreigners pair up here with some primitive, dumber than a box of soft cooked noodles. it's like saying: see this homeless, flea-ridden dog right there, eating crap from the nappy he found in a rubbish heap? that's my boyfriend. that's who i f**k, that's who i want to marry. he smells like stale pi** and dead rat but he is so nice and funny and tells me he loves me. it makes me cringe.

don't hold back, dv8; tell us how you really feel.

i just plumb flat out refuse to have anything to do with people who ask me if it snows in Grand Turk. sorry; i have standards.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah, but guess what. I've been propositioned, by families who could buy and sell most DR1 members a hundred times over, for a marriage of convenience-for them, not me-just to get their little girls to the US.

This is when I realized some expat know-it-alls really don't know what they're talking about in certain instances. I'm not saying you, AE-just speaking in general.

You can't automatically assume that just because you're a tourist that...

A)...you can't meet quality Dominican women on your own. This is a big falsehood. Your chances of meeting nice, well-educated Dominican women on your own are easier than running into an expat who isn't an angry, full of shyte a-hole, that's for damn sure.

B)...you won't meet scammers of all socio-economic backgrounds.

C)...that these so-called quality, university-educated chicas aren't just as amoral and slutty as their barrio counterparts. Pul-eeze.

D)...some barrio chicas ARE trash-and some will treat you better than you can ever imagine. They're just poor, that's all.

I agree with you Berzin, but I can't help but wonder if you have a different experience being latino yourself, and speaking the language fluently.

I suspect that the average gringo, without fluency in Spanish, would have another story to tell.

And most of all, I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all, because I certainly DON'T know it all. Not even close. I married the first Dominican I ever was introduced to. I do think that being a part of a Dominican family for almost 40 years does count for something, but not everything - not by a longshot.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, AE-I respect your opinions and made it a point to state that I did not include you in the "expat know-it-all" group.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, AE-I respect your opinions and made it a point to state that I did not include you in the "expat know-it-all" group.

I saw that, but it made me think that maybe I sound like that to others......

....then again, I admitted earlier that I never knew that all the gas stations charge the same amount before reading it on DR1 several years ago.

So much to learn, so little time. :laugh:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I saw that, but it made me think that maybe I sound like that to others......

....then again, I admitted earlier that I never knew that all the gas stations charge the same amount before reading it on DR1 several years ago.

So much to learn, so little time. :laugh:

you have never sounded like that to me. quite the contrary.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Part of the problem is who you choose to associate with. Unfortunately your average tourist is normally confined to a resort so that is their exposure to the Dominican culture. That is why I commented that it is hard to meet a "decent" guy while on vacation at a AI. However example I had friends from the US staying here in Santo Domingo for a week. They stayed at the Hilton. One of them was a single female. Bored at times (due to rain) she would go and sit in the lobby and people watch. She meet quite a few educated well to do men. Had good conversation and learned a few things about the country. Did they confess their undying love for her, no. Basically they gave her their business card and said if she ever came back to give them a call. So yes it is possible but for your average AI visitor it is more of a challenge. I guess after 22 years or so of marriage to a Dominican I learned a little something.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Part of the problem is who you choose to associate with. Unfortunately your average tourist is normally confined to a resort so that is their exposure to the Dominican culture. That is why I commented that it is hard to meet a "decent" guy while on vacation at a AI. However example I had friends from the US staying here in Santo Domingo for a week. They stayed at the Hilton. One of them was a single female. Bored at times (due to rain) she would go and sit in the lobby and people watch. She meet quite a few educated well to do men. Had good conversation and learned a few things about the country. Did they confess their undying love for her, no. Basically they gave her their business card and said if she ever came back to give them a call. So yes it is possible but for your average AI visitor it is more of a challenge. I guess after 22 years or so of marriage to a Dominican I learned a little something.

this is going to sound really harsh, but everyone knows old gorgon by now. some of the girls who end up at these AIs look like Joe Cocker. they are not going to be picking up some high grade Dominican any time soon. any educated Dominican, with a job, a home of his own, and any self respect, can pick up some primo Dominican trim. he is not looking for a WU stipend, nor a visa, so he does not have to run behind some grotesque matron from Sioux Falls, who breaks 5 plastic chairs before the vacation is over. similarly, some classy Dominican girl has no reason to hook up with some 70 year old gringo who is older than her abuelo, and who can barely climb a flight of stairs.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
What is that song? Looking for love in all the wrong places. Growing up I would have never even imagined marriage to a foreigner. But it does happen so it is possible. Times have changed since then and I think it maybe harder now to find a mate let alone someone from another country. But its obviously it is possible, AE, DV8, Matilda, Chirimoya, etc...are proof to that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What is that song? Looking for love in all the wrong places. Growing up I would have never even imagined marriage to a foreigner. But it does happen so it is possible. Times have changed since then and I think it maybe harder now to find a mate let alone someone from another country. But its obviously it is possible, AE, DV8, Matilda, Chirimoya, etc...are proof to that.

yes, but the aforementioned list are probably all fine ladies who could turn heads with looks and style. one has to recognize the fact that a lot of these AI bunnies are not going to attract a Brugal or Abreu by puking in his Land Rover after guzzling down 3 bottles of cheap vodka at the free bar

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This is going to sound really harsh, but everyone knows old gorgon by now. Some of the girls who end up at these AIs look like Joe Cocker. they are not going to be picking up some high grade Dominican any time soon. Any educated Dominican, with a job, a home of his own, and any self respect, can pick up some primo Dominican trim. He is not looking for a WU stipend, nor a visa, so he does not have to run behind some grotesque matron from Sioux Falls, who breaks 5 plastic chairs before the vacation is over.

Well, I've told this tale before and it bears repeating. One of the secrets of drama-free hooking up is with foreigners, at least the women.

The sankies won't appreciate it, which is why it's wise not to stay in an AI, but close enough to one where you can hang out and meet them at the discos and colmados.

For every foreign woman having the time of her life, there are always one or two sitting at the bar crying, lamenting why they flew all the way to the DR to get their hearts broken by some useless beach bum loser.

I'm sure Frank12 can vouch for this because one of the places I've seen this is at Jose O'Shay's.

I found my little Whore de France in Boca Chica, and a few young, beautiful Latinas visiting the capital with their families from the states. They seem to act differently when on foreign soil, more uninhibited and crazy. Then again, they want to have fun, too. And guess what? No requests for WU or third world tales of Dominican woe.

Similarly, some classy Dominican girl has no reason to hook up with some 70 year old gringo who is older than her abuelo, and who can barely climb a flight of stairs.

Um....a sugar daddy would be the reason. Just because some of these Dominican women come from money doesn't mean they're looking for down-to-Earth soul mates. They want to be taken care of, as long as someone is footing the bill for shopping sprees and an apartment on the Malec?n, their just reward for looking mahvelous.

Ever seen a middle-aged, bloated, idiotic Dominican wearing a too-tight Izod Lacoste shirt, totally full of himself in more ways than one, with a beautiful young chica on his arm or riding with him in his jeepeta? That's what that's about.

This is another fallacy-just because a young, pretty Dominican woman comes from money doesn't mean they have scruples. They are just as materialistic and vain as women from any other country. That's how rich, spoiled brats operate all over the world, so why would Dominican women who fit this type be any different?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, I've told this tale before and it bears repeating. One of the secrets of drama-free hooking up is with foreigners, at least the women.

The sankies won't appreciate it, which is why it's wise not to stay in an AI, but close enough to one where you can hang out and meet them at the discos and colmados.

For every foreign woman having the time of her life, there are always one or two sitting at the bar crying, lamenting why they flew all the way to the DR to get their hearts broken by some useless beach bum loser.

I'm sure Frank12 can vouch for this because one of the places I've seen this is at Jose O'Shay's.

I found my little Whore de France in Boca Chica, and a few young, beautiful Latinas visiting the capital with their families from the states. They seem to act differently when on foreign soil, more uninhibited and crazy. Then again, they want to have fun, too. And guess what? No requests for WU or third world tales of Dominican woe.

Um....a sugar daddy would be the reason. Just because some of these Dominican women come from money doesn't mean they're looking for down-to-Earth soul mates. They want to be taken care of, as long as someone is footing the bill for shopping sprees and an apartment on the Malec?n, their just reward for looking mahvelous.

Ever seen a middle-aged, bloated, idiotic Dominican wearing a too-tight Izod Lacoste shirt, totally full of himself in more ways than one, with a beautiful young chica on his arm or riding with him in his jeepeta? That's what that's about.

This is another fallacy-just because a young, pretty Dominican woman comes from money doesn't mean they have scruples. They are just as materialistic and vain as women from any other country. That's how rich, spoiled brats operate all over the world, so why would Dominican women who fit this type be any different?

Berzin, the benefit i have derived from my posting is that it animated you to give your take, which, as usual, is worth its weight in gold.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I have been fortunate enough to be exposed to some of this women in Colombia. Mexico and D.R. yes those women exist...the women like Sofia Vergara look alike...but only younger and with out the mileage.
And they always find the right man...and they dont look outside their circle..if they have any brains,,,which most of them do.
They take advantage of their implacable above average looks and style..and go through live in comfort and security.
I know...what about love...independence... and all the the rest of the malarkey...like if a good man takes care of you for life is a BAD thing.
This women not only ensure a future and stability for them..but for their children..which will know their father..and grow to have a positive influence.
Most of this guys are moral outstanding individuals that are established...and will rarely stray from their social class.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have been fortunate enough to be exposed to some of this women in Colombia. Mexico and D.R. yes those women exist...the women like Sofia Vergara look alike...but only younger and with out the mileage.
And they always find the right man...and they dont look outside their circle..if they have any brains,,,which most of them do.
They take advantage of their implacable above average looks and style..and go through live in comfort and security.
I know...what about love...independence... and all the the rest of the malarkey...like if a good man takes care of you for life is a BAD thing.
This women not only ensure a future and stability for them..but for their children..which will know their father..and grow to have a positive influence.
Most of this guys are moral outstanding individuals that are established...and will rarely stray from their social class.

Don Pork, i am glad that you mentioned 'social class' somewhere in your posting. a male of the Brugal dynasty will take some stellar barrio babe to a cabana, and buy her a Gucci bag. that's as far as it goes. he sure as heck is not taking her to meet his mother, whose first question to her is going to be "who is your father?". when Missy Passola says 'i do not know, and neither does my mother", then all bets are off, as Dona Mercedes y Mercedes drags him by his ear, and locks him in the bank vault for a week.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That is absolutely not true, and I'm offended by that statement.

They can ALWAYS find one desperate enough to provide them with a bed. (Are you sure you've been here before?)

The stories I could tell.......

I'm listening.......:bunny:

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Don Pork, i am glad that you mentioned 'social class' somewhere in your posting. a male of the Brugal dynasty will take some stellar barrio babe to a cabana, and buy her a Gucci bag. that's as far as it goes. he sure as heck is not taking her to meet his mother, whose first question to her is going to be "who is your father?". when Missy Passola says 'i do not know, and neither does my mother", then all bets are off, as Dona Mercedes y Mercedes drags him by his ear, and locks him in the bank vault for a week.

Oh you astute gorgon..you are learning..that is the way the kuky crumbles around here.

Sep 4, 2012
No, to the contrary; that's the way the cookies crumble everywhere. Social classes stay among a tight circle word-wide.