Importing a vehicle from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
old thread on auto shipping

I am resurrecting this thread from the doldrums. It contains a lot of good information on shipping an auto into the country. Hopefully anyone who has recent first hand knowledge of shipping regulations/rates/etc. can provide some updated information.

Larry

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
A week ago, I shipped my 2001 Ford Explorer sport Track 4WD through Montero Shipping in the Bronx. I will be claiming the SUV in the seaport of Caucedo, Boca Chica, hopefully everything will go without a hassle. I plan to be in DR by the end of this month. Because I want use the residency and the one year rule I had to get the history of Title certificate and Registration certificate from NYS DMV (around $20), this is to show that I had the vehicle for over a year. Since I am trying to apply the one-year rule and couldn't ship it door to door. Anyway, shipment cost me $1,550 it includes consular letter and certification of the Dominican gov't. It is being shipped in a container as oppose of being shipped in the open ocean air on a cargo ship. Once I am done with my ordeal with DR costum I will report my experience on the Dominican side.

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
Anyone know?
In a couple of weeks we receive our temporary residency,,, can we bring in a vehicle on this or must we wait for permanent residency?
Thanks!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
This is how it went

I shipped a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Track (pick-up type explorer) from NY under "ley 168".

USA
1-First I ordered the Title record certificate and the Registration Plate record from the Department of Motor Vehicle in NY and gave it to the shipping company Montero Shipping.

2- A month before my trip to DR, I contracted a shipping company Montero Shipping. A good and responsible company. They charged me $1,600 that included shipping in a container as oppose to open sea air, and consular paperwork. Since I envoked "Ley 168" I needed to have the consular paperwork. If you want to save money you can do the paperwork yourself. The transit took around 3 weeks.
3- Make sure you make copies of all papers and bring your original car registration.

Custom broker

1- After my car was on its way, through recommendation I contracted a Custom broker in the DR. He charged me $10,000 pesos around $310 US dollars. A little hefty, but it was worth it.
2-I took all the paper work from Montero Shipping and sent it to him for the initial legwork as the Vehicle was going to arrive before I did. If you let the shipping company send the paper themselves then you who have to have a power of attorney for someone else to receive the paper work for you in DR.
3- The custom broker was very reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy. He has been doing this since 1983. He took care of the initial fees and macuteo (shake down) at the receiving end. He really did an exceptional job.

Upon my arrival

1- I landed on a Sunday and I met with my Custom broker the next day. He informed me on what to expect and conduct myself at the Direccion de Aduanas.
2- On Tuesday,we went to Aduanas to deposit the paper work and interview for "ley 168". I had to purchase the right to the interview for 300 pesos. At the entrance to Exoneraciones, we were informed that Aduanas no longer accepts papers on Tuesdays and Thursdays as they had done before. The new days are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Caution, these days my change on a whim without notice.
3-We came back on Wednesday, the broker took another look at the paperwork a second time to make sure they were in order.
4-I went in to the department "exoneraciones" (tax exempt department). Tthe broker was not allowed in with me, the lady collected all my paper work and told me to wait for the interview.
***Make sure you have photocopies of your last and most recent passport cover to cover to include blank pages. Also, have copies of all original paper work*** Aduanas requires ogirinal and copies***You must must have the orignals no if and buts. A lot of people were sent away because the were missing originals and copies.

5-Lucky me I had a Custom Broker that put all my papers in orders. I had no problems.

6- The interview was short and sweet. The interviewer asked me
a. Where I was I going to reside in DR.
b. Was I going to bring households goods. I told them later on.
c. Was I married and how many children and were where they. I told them they were with me at my mother in laws house ( our new residence). Not entirely true. You must give the impression that you are coming for good. Don't tell them that you plan to travel every so often otherwise the law "ley 168" is not applicable.
d. What was I going to work. I told them that at the moment I had no plan. That I have my savings and that I own a finca that I plan to work, hence the reason why I needed the vehicle.
e. The interviewer concluded her questioning and told me to wait. She told me that an inspector was going to visit me at my residence.
7- I waited more than two hours, when a lady called my name, gave me a piece of paper with a serial number and phone number to call on Friday.

Observation while at the waiting areas.
1-Most people did not have they papers in orders.

2-Many had come several times before and because they were missing something they had to come back. Many still did not get their act together after several trip back and forward.

3-Few came in with big wigs (Generals and other government employee). It got them in alright but if they were missing something they were turned away with Genereals and all.

4-Many people who shipped their vehicle through a mom and pop shipping company had a problem with their manifest because their vehicles where shipped under the name of the shipping company and not the owner. This created problems for all.

For Canadians
1-There was a Canadian guy that did not have a record of registration or Title record. He claimed that in Canada they don't do those things. He was told to get some type of paper that show the history of the vehicle and its past owner.

The Call

I called Friday morning as I was told. The "oficio" was not out yet. I called are 2:30 and finally it came out. The oficio was transported to the port that Friday afternoon.

Aduanas at the port
Be physically and mentally prepare for this.

1- My broker and I went on Saturdays to retrieve the vehicle. We learnt that although the oficio arrived on Friday it was not received by "Audotoria" because they had no way of verifying it with the main Aduanas. Aduanas do not open on Saturday. So the oficio was still in archivos. Here I leant that I received a 50% percent reduction as oppose to the 60 or 70%.

2-We went on Monday. My broker got there first to start the long and tedious process. He was to call me with the amount in fees and taxes that needed to pay. It was around 12PM when he called me and told me that he did not have the total amount yet, because the personnel in audotoria locked themselves out of the office and were waiting on the Locksmith. I became anxious and told the broker that I was on my way.

3-I arrived and my broker had made some head ways, he spoke with the Colector (comptroller?) and explained the situation.

4-I was finally told of the amount that I have to pay. From $230,000 Pesos down to $40,473.40 Pesos under the "ley 168" that include a 50% discount. Don't ask me what formula they use or how they applie it.
5- I left for the bank to Boca Chica to a Cashier/Register check fo that amount.
6-Well I think I went thorugh more than 10 different departments, checking, rechecking and signatures. I arrived aroung 12:30 PM and left around 5 PM. My broker was there since 9:00 AM.

Finally I got my vehicle.

Amount spent in US dollars

USA
-Title and registration record $22 dollars by phone/internet. Cheaper at service centers.
-Shipping and consular paperwork $1,600 dollars. Cheaper if you don't plan to invoke ley 168 or plan ship it on your own.
****Note: My brother shipped a vehicle not using the service of a well established shipping company to save money. His vehicle took 3 months to arrive, was subjected to the elements on the ship and was shipped out of Boston instead of New York where he lives. The shipping company was trying to save money as well.
-Custom broker $310
-Tax and fee on the vehicle $1,263 dollars at a 32 pesos exchange.
-Fee for the right to the interview $9.40
-Macuteo (shake down) money at the port $15, (480 pesos) for 4 or 5 different people. My broker told me who to give 100 pesos to. 80 pesos were given to the people at the gate of the parking lot were my vehicle was located.
-Parking fee for the vehicle while at the parking lot $78 (2,500 pesos).

-Grand Total $3,275 Dollars.

I hope this helps. If you need a Cutom broker please PM me.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Stodgard, a great post. I think it's one of the more comprehensive posts on this issue that I've come across so far. However, could you give a more thorough explanation of the "ley 168" rule or law? Who can use it and for what reason(s) it can be used? Thank you.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
jackquontee said:
Stodgard, a great post. I think it's one of the more comprehensive posts on this issue that I've come across so far. However, could you give a more thorough explanation of the "ley 168" rule or law? Who can use it and for what reason(s) it can be used? Thank you.

What I understand anyone (Dominicans and foreigners) can use it as long as they are making the DR their home. Ley 168 is for vehicles and under this law you are allow to bring one personal vehicle that you have own for more than one year in your respective country at a heavily reduced import tax. In my case if I did not invoke ley 168 I would have paid 230,000 pesos instead of the $40,000 pesos. This is why they require the Title record and Resgistration plate history.

Another thing about ley 168, you cannot sell your car for 3 years. I also hear that you have to wait another five years to invoke this law again on another vehicle you wish to bring.

While I was waiting for the interview I saw a Canadian, a Korean and an American invoking ley 168 for their vehicle. I saw other people invoking the householdgoods ley I think (ley 214, not sure).

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Stodgord, great post. It should be made into a sticky, so we can point to it when people ask, "Should I bring my car with me to the DR?".

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
WOW this was such an informative post. Yes this should be made a sticky. Can the moderator of this forum do that?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Chris said:
Great Post! You know what, it is easier to buy here.

A lot of people have told me that too Chris. When it's my time to move there I will definately buy down there. I don't know if I can go through all the hassle.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Chris said:
Great Post! You know what, it is easier to buy here.

Chris, could you elaborate a little further on what it is that makes it easier to buy there as opposed to shipping a vehicle there? I am curious as I am close to closing on a home (assuming that all goes well) and need to decide between shipping or buying. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jackquontee said:
Chris, could you elaborate a little further on what it is that makes it easier to buy there as opposed to shipping a vehicle there? I am curious as I am close to closing on a home (assuming that all goes well) and need to decide between shipping or buying. Thanks in advance.

For two reasons - firstly, just the time, effort and energy spent while going through the process as detailed by Stodgord. It seems easy while you read it, but when you're having to step through this process youself, it is not easy on the central nervous system ;) It is unnecessary stress to my mind.

Secondly, in Stodgard's case, all went well. The poster had his/her paperwork in order and planned for most every contingency - a good shipper and broker is a 'must-have'. Having dealt with aduana many times over the past few years, it is not a given that things go well, even if you're prepared to the max. One time, it may go well, another time, it may not go well. It truly is the luck of the draw. With such a convoluted process, anything can go wrong, anytime. Not wanting to speak bad of my new countrymen, let's just say that the focus frequently is not on getting your vehicle out of aduana, but getting your money out of your pocket. :classic: It may not be much money, but it is very frustrating.

So, in comparison with the importation process and the risks around that, buying here is easy. You select your vehicle, pay for it, sign some stuff and drive away. If you're buying for the first time here, I would suggest a used vehicle for many reasons. Espaillat Motors in Moca is a good place to go. If you ask nicely, Marco from Rockys will go with you - and this is a good idea. You need two days - one to select your vehicle - you then bring the vehicle back to Sosua for a check by a good mechanic with all the necessary equipment to do the checks. If all checks out, you go back the next day to sign paperwork and pay.

Nothing to it and a great road to travel over while you do it.

Somewhere on the board is a post by Robert describing a vehicle buying process from a dealer in the Capital. If I remember correctly, he was very satisfied, and it was easy.

I'm just thinking out loud for a moment - If you import a vehicle, you're in the hands of a broker and a shipper and aduana. You have no control over this process, by the nature of the DR, the process will control you - scary stuff. If you buy a vehicle here, most of the good people of the DR1 will give you a helping hand where-ever you need it, and you make your own choices.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Chris, not that there's a check in the mail, but thanks a million. LOL. I have been offered by someone to take me to Moca and look around. So, you are correct, there are some good people on this board, though that goes without saying. Again, thanks.

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
Stodgord said:
I shipped a 2001 Ford from NY under "ley 168".
Stodgord, AWESOME post.

BTW can you (or anybody else) tell me if ley 168 allows for a vehicle older than 5 yrs and an 8 cylinder motor to be imported (such as a 1992 Chevy Silverado pickup)?

web

Nov 5, 2005
What about motorcycles? Same 5 yr rule? Anybody know? And would it make the process any less painful if you did the paperwork in a DR residents name? Please advise. Thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Actually, Robert didn't buy from a dealer. We stopped shopping through dealers after finding the ones we looked at had problems (checked with Carfax). We bought from an owner whose car had a one-shop maintenance record because it was still under guarantee.

Note that Law 168 only allows for partial discounts on the tax to be paid on the car, not a full exception as it allows on household goods.

Re the question about doing paperwork in a DR resident's name, that may not apply, unless the person is a very recent foreign resident. There are limitations to who can bring in what. The experience is hit and miss, as Chris describes above, regardless of whether it is a foreign person or a returning Dominican, who also has the right to the law's benefits if having resided two years abroad.

la_salsa

May 25, 2006
hey

hey do you know the company that your brother used to ship the car

A week ago, I shipped my 2001 Ford Explorer sport Track 4WD through Montero Shipping in the Bronx. I will be claiming the SUV in the seaport of Caucedo, Boca Chica, hopefully everything will go without a hassle. I plan to be in DR by the end of this month. Because I want use the residency and the one year rule I had to get the history of Title certificate and Registration certificate from NYS DMV (around $20), this is to show that I had the vehicle for over a year. Since I am trying to apply the one-year rule and couldn't ship it door to door. Anyway, shipment cost me $1,550 it includes consular letter and certification of the Dominican gov't. It is being shipped in a container as oppose of being shipped in the open ocean air on a cargo ship. Once I am done with my ordeal with DR costum I will report my experience on the Dominican side.

meiris

Oct 18, 2006
Importing a 1995 car to DR

I have a 1995 Montero Mitsubishi and it is good contion, I have been the only owner on the car. I am planning to move to Moca in a couple of months.
I was told that if i prove that I will be moving and living in DR i can ship the Montero. Is this true or flase

IM
iris2130@bellsouth.net

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think you have been misinformed. I believe 10 year cars are still banned from import in the DR. It would be risky to chance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.