Interracial Relationships In The Dr...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Oooooooooooooh Snap!

bill11 said:
Stodgord
Question for caucasian foreigners. Why would you marry a dark skinned Dominican while in your homeland you would not dare to do so with a dark skinned person from your country?

Stodgord, To your question there are many white men and whomen who marry blacks or native americans in the USA and in Europe too. But they are in minority that is why it may not be called commonplace. Those who do not dare to marry a black whoman/Man in their homeland,I am almost sure would't not marry them here either.

Hahahahah... yo Bill11 is off the hook but on the MARK!

Yeah yeah yeah... Duke, that's what I was trying to say in my other post. That thing about dating outside ones race is NOT common place here the USA. I mean you think that many people (usually the upper class whites) would have got with the program! Ain't no one trying to feel that old school mentality of the Pre-Sixties segregation bull-shyte!

It's funny though because you're right, 9 times out of ten most folk would NEVER marry outside their race while in their same country! (HAhahahaha)... They leave and go a 1000 miles away to experience "Jungle Fever"... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Memon7 said:
Hahahahah... yo Bill11 is off the hook but on the MARK!

Yeah yeah yeah... Duke, that's what I was trying to say in my other post. That thing about dating outside ones race is NOT common place here the USA. I mean you think that many people (usually the upper class whites) would have got with the program! Ain't no one trying to feel that old school mentality of the Pre-Sixties segregation bull-shyte!

It's funny though because you're right, 9 times out of ten most folk would NEVER marry outside their race while in their same country! (HAhahahaha)... They leave and go a 1000 miles away to experience "Jungle Fever"... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh:

What's your definition of COMMONPLACE? There are all sorts of interracial marriage in all parts of Canada? For example just in my neighbourhood in a small town in Ontario there are japanese-white, black-white, philipino-black, east indian-black and many other combinations. Is it more common to marry within your own race, religion..etc of course, but it certainly isn't the exception to have mixed race marriage(lots of good looking kids as a result) There are a lot of countries in the world besides the USA.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
...yep... Uh Huh!

bob saunders said:
What's your definition of COMMONPLACE? There are all sorts of interracial marriage in all parts of Canada? For example just in my neighbourhood in a small town in Ontario there are japanese-white, black-white, philipino-black, east indian-black and many other combinations. Is it more common to marry within your own race, religion..etc of course, but it certainly isn't the exception to have mixed race marriage(lots of good looking kids as a result) There are a lot of countries in the world besides the USA.

That's just my point!

First off I never said it was "common place" if anything it's UN-commone place in America! I was speaking on America because I'm from this place. Don't know much about Canada (and here interracial marriages) other then what people said about our racist Montreal is (hahahahaha)... but that's neither here nor there!

So what was your point? Again... I can only speak on America Duke! :beard:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Memon7 said:
That's just my point!

First off I never said it was "common place" if anything it's UN-commone place in America! I was speaking on America because I'm from this place. Don't know much about Canada (and here interracial marriages) other then what people said about our racist Montreal is (hahahahaha)... but that's neither here nor there!

So what was your point? Again... I can only speak on America Duke! :beard:

You obviously need to take a trip to Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California...etc, because there are 1000's of mixed race marriages in the states. If someone is affected by jungle fever(your words, not mine) they can find that in their own country(USA, Canada, and most of Europe)

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
bob saunders said:
You obviously need to take a trip to Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California...etc, because there are 1000's of mixed race marriages in the states. If someone is affected by jungle fever(your words, not mine) they can find that in their own country(USA, Canada, and most of Europe)

Maaaaaaaaaan... yo, I have been to those places (well maybe not Oregon)... but yeah, I been those places and I NEVER notice a multi-cultural dating scene. I mean... even Cali (Los Angelas or even San Fran) for the most part interracial dating is still scene as a Taboo! I mean you might see it here and there but really? Most of those relationships are questionable in the first place because you got a black man dating a white woman but he's acting everything beside himself all in trying to "relate" to his caucasian woman (and the same thing vice versa)... I'm sure you seen the white girls running around with "cornrolls" in her hair or some other form of cultural "doings"... my point is this, if one can't be themselves and truly date someone from a different race soley for the fact that one fact a great person, then I don't consider those reason of dating genuine!

And that goes the same for people from different countries... :beard:

Just my experience!

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Memon7 said:
Maaaaaaaaaan... yo, I have been to those places (well maybe not Oregon)... but yeah, I been those places and I NEVER notice a multi-cultural dating scene.

This kid is very entertaining! ;)

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
bob saunders said:

Absolutely right! There's thousands of interracial couples in the u.s. In the area of virginia that I reside in, I see such couples just about every day.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'd like to remind everyone that the topic here is interracial relationships in the Dominican Republic.

yvette said:
My question is this: Are interracial relationships common place in the DR, and can you share some success stories on how you have made it work?

Yvette

Let's stick to this question please

Thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Anna Coniglio said:
I'd like to remind everyone that the topic here is interracial relationships in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks

As the majority of Dominicans are of mixed race and they marry each other usually, most relationships in the DR are of mixed race.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Yeah!

Anna Coniglio said:

Thanks

THAT'S RIGHT... Damnit! :beard:

(but really... it's still a toboo to date outside your race in the USA... sshhhh)

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:

Thanks

Can anyone share success stories of how they have made their interracial relationships in the DR work? I think we all are aware of the complications that exist. Yvette

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm sure the ones that are living in the DR might answer here or not, but the stories we have are of interracial relationships that are posted have in some cases moved away from the DR.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30782

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42010

Now, since I'm color blind I'm not sure what it is you're after. Is a white Dominican having a relationship with a white foreigner be considered interracial?

Please explain this to me. I would think that it's more about culture not how deep one's tan is. ;) Cultures and different way of living can be worlds apart which makes the adjustments harder than anything else.

But that's just my opinion. :cross-eye

mami

Mar 16, 2004
i agree

Memon7 said:
Nope... this is not a true statement. :disappoin

...And again I can't agree with you either. I don't know what country you come from but I know here in America people still have hang ups on interracial relationships! In fact it's worst now then it was in the past. Then you have to factor in what races are dating and what part of the USA the dating is taking place, because I live in the "SOUTH" now and the white folk here still can't except the fact that this is a new century and black and white folks ARE going to mix and mingle! But... I digress!!!

The fact is I know more about the racism here in my country then what's going on in some one elses country so when I read that "light skin" upper class folks don't date/mix with "dark skin" folks then I would have to say that racism and the sorry A$$ mentality that goes with it must be world wide and the same in many other places. Most people try and pretend that it don't exist!

Personally I don't care what a women skin color is... but then this is reality and here in the USA most people live by a social standard allowing their friends and family dictate to them how to live their own lives!

yeh when was the last time you saw a Kennedy married to a black person or a hispanic person (of any color). i truly doubt that there is another place on earth as prejudice as the U.S. a lot of people are offended if they hear you speaking in Spanish. Many highly educated whites with money(not yuppies or hollywood types) would never even consider marrying a Hispanic person even if that Hispanic person looked like Cameron Diaz out of fear of loosing their inheritance.

That is not to say that mixed persons haven't reached the millions in the U.S.
what i noticed in the Dominican Republic by less educated persons not necessarily poor. was that most of them found more beauty with a white person that with a dark person.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

mami said:
yeh when was the last time you saw a Kennedy married to a black person or a hispanic person (of any color). i truly doubt that there is another place on earth as prejudice as the U.S. a lot of people are offended if they hear you speaking in Spanish. Many highly educated whites with money(not yuppies or hollywood types) would never even consider marrying a Hispanic person even if that Hispanic person looked like Cameron Diaz out of fear of loosing their inheritance.

That is not to say that mixed persons haven't reached the millions in the U.S.
what i noticed in the Dominican Republic by less educated persons not necessarily poor. was that most of them found more beauty with a white person that with a dark person.
Very true.

Lets not forget that there is ALOT of racism in the DR. Racism, in many cases, when it has to do with a dominican dating/seeing a dominican. But it's more accepted when a dominican is dating/seeing a foreigner even if the foreigner is black, white, green or from the moon. Why?. just rub your index and thumb together and you will come up with the answer. Want a hint?: to SOME, a foreigner equals (=) money money money money money.

Yes, many rich people would not date out of their races. Just like SOME do not mind a trashy lowlife like Paris Hilton "banging" everybody and everything on sight!

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Now, since I'm color blind I'm not sure what it is you're after. Is a white Dominican having a relationship with a white foreigner be considered interracial?

Please explain this to me. I would think that it's more about culture not how deep one's tan is. ;) Cultures and different way of living can be worlds apart which makes the adjustments harder than anything else.

But that's just my opinion. :cross-eye
I don't think that a white Dominican having a relationship with a white foreigner considered interracial. I think that would be considered intercultural. In that instance it wouldn't really be about the difference in color but about the difference in cultures.

Now, regarding a Dominican white with a Dominican black is different. You see white Dominicans walking down the street with their black Dominican sweethearts and most people will not think it is rare. But racism does exist. I don't think that it exists to the extent where we will disown our children though.

Lets look at it from my experience. My family from my father's side is white and my family from my mother's side is mixed with many of them being black. My grandfather from my father's side had seven children. All of them except two, married dark skinned Dominicans. My grandfather used to say, "Ay dios mio, todos se casaron con prieto." That means oh my god, everyone married a black person. What happened to the other two that did not marry dark people? One of my uncles married a white Dominicana and my other very rubia(blond) aunt has not married at all. My grandfather used to say that, but once he saw how good they treated his children, he never said anything else. The darkest of the women that my uncles married goes to his house about 3 times a week just to talk about politics and he loves it. He loves her as well. He loves my mom, my aunt, my uncle. He loves his grandchildren, some of them white, some black, and some brown the same. Now my grandfather is white.

This is what happened with my black grandmother from my mother's side. My mother divorced my father when I was a baby. My mother was 26 at the time and was still very young. Do you know what's the first thing that my grandmother said? She said "No te cases con un prieto que no quiero nietos feos." That means do not marry a black person because I do not want ugly grandchildren. Now this is coming from a black woman. My aunt, her younger daughter has children that are really dark because she is dark and she married a dark man. Now, my grandmother loves those children to death. She gives them everything they ask for.

My point is that even though they may have said some racist remarks, they believe that family is above everything and love their children and grandchildren very much regardless of their skin color or who they marry. Nobody disowned anyone. Nobody broke out into fights. Nobody said anything bad to hurt the other person. We all love each other.

My former boyfriend was Moroccan. When I told my grandfather about my former boyfriend, one of the things that he asked me was "Is he white or black?" I told him that he was dark with fine features. He then asked me if I'm happy with him and I said yes. He then said, that is all that matters.

He is my former boyfriend because there were so many cultural differences between a Dominican and a Moroccan. Some things we could agree on and others we couldn't. I was doing my best to please him and to somehow blend our differences into something our own but it didn't work out. He wasn't trying as hard as I was. Are there other couples from different cultures that do work it out? Yes, many. There has to be love, dedication, and lots of work. I guess we didn't have one or some of those in our relationship in order to make it work. That's something that a Dominican in a relationship with a foreigner should think about. Plus, there are other cultures that are more similar to Dominican culture that will not make it as hard. Dominican Catholic and Moroccan Muslim is a difficult combination.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Interracial relationships exist

I am a white woman who is attracted to black men. I live in Oakland, CA which has probably one of the most diverse populations on this earth - part of the reason I love it. There are plenty of interracial relationships here.

I have dated African-Americans, was married to an African I met in Japan, and am now involved with a darker skinned Dominican. When we were in Sosua a few months ago a few people thought he was American - probably because he was with me. When he is here, people may think he is from here - until he opens his mouth.

It is unfortunate that we live in a narrow-minded society/country that cannot accept that people are attracted to what they are attracted to. But this country was also crazy enough to reelect Bush.

Glad I found the beauty of the DR to focus on.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
The hard part

Having been involved in an interracial relationship in the DR, I would say that it is much more accepted in the DR than it would have been here in the US. That is not to say that I would not do it here, it is just that the opportunity has never presented itself.

The cultural thing is the hardest part to overcome. Oh, yes, Miguel is right. Many Dominican women would date a man of any color if the $$$$$?s are right. And no I am not talking about sexual services for money.

Charlie

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good post, Dragonfly, I could tell similar stories about my Dominican family.

Mr C's family are white and he recalls being beaten by his grandfather when he was about 9 for playing with the black children next door. His mother was forced to marry his Dad, who was a cousin, instead of the man she was really in love with, who was not white. His Dad was also racist but could not do anything about his daughters marrying black men because by then he was living in NY and the rest of the family were in the DR. My MIL appears to have been determined to break with that particular tradition, to her credit.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
I'm not wise or poetic by any means but I'll say this ...

In a perfect world we are all color blind. In this world, we're not. Do what you can or can't live with, don't sell out and don't settle for any less than an "Oh my God, why am I so lucky?" when you wake up every day looking at the same person. But the important thing is that they need to feel the same way or else you're getting the **** end of the deal.

If you don't have that then you're probably settling and we all know that you get what you settle for.

Perhaps I'm being idealistic and that's probably why I'll stay single forever. White, black, green, pink - it's all about what makes YOU happy, content, fullfilled or whatever other adjective you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.