Is it always just business as usual?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Kiwicanuck said:
AZB said:
Let me tell you who sankies are.
They are all poor from ugly barrios (ghettos) of this island. They work in resorts and resort areas (beach vendors, tour operators etc). They are always seen in discos and hotels. They have no education and their only art is talking in english, dancing and picking up easy women. These guys don't know where Dominican republic is on world's map, let alone know any other countries. They are usually from broken families and from country side with their family from their mother's side. The girls are also from poor back ground and often come to tourist industry to make a quick buck by going out with tourists............etc etc

A lenghtly post from AZB

Most troubling to me is that AZB never once uses a preface of it being his opinion. Something along the lines of "in my opinion".

Without the occassional 'preface' it has to be assumed then that he believes his statements are factual so this then points to a 'judgemental' personality. That is only my opinion of course.

The problem for me is that I have no idea what his background is to have these opinions and therefore no idea what validity I should give to them. I have looked at the member pictures posted on this site and can not tell by some of the photos of AZB what type of ethnic background he comes from.

It could be possible that AZB comes from a background culture where a 'Cast'
system was in place which would reflect possibily why his remarks seem in my opinion to be so 'class' slanted.

If AZB could enlighten me a little on a few points e.g. his country of origin maybe then I would have a better idea of what 'light' to review his harsh remaks in.
Don't worry about my background, ask me if I am right.
I have been living with dominicans for the last 7 yrs and have been coming to this island since 1986 as tourist. There is nothing that you folks can tell me to change my mind, I have simply seen too much. I live among the real domincians, not among sosua, cabarete expats. I speak to powerful and decent domincians daily. I have drinks with them a few times a week. I speak their language and I even think like them. I know this culture inside out, both the society and the low ghetto culture. I used to mingle with the dominican dirt in puerto plata and I also used to think all domincians were like them. I even learned some puta version of domincian spanish in barrios of POP. Then I moved to santiago and only then I realized how dumb I was when it came to knowing real domincian folks and culture. People used to correct me when I spoke vulgar spanish and pronounced wrong or spoke like a campesino. I slowly met the real respectable domincians and learned first hand what its really like to living among domincians, understanding their mindset and understand society's norms. All I have wrote is coming straight from dominican perception of things in DR. ask any domincian (real dominican, not some american wanna be dominican) and he/she will tell how correct I am in what I say about sankie affairs.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Malibook said:
How is it that other peoples lives are any of your business?
I just don't get it.

Since you must stick your nose into other peoples business, why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the simple reality that many people who go away for a 1 or 2 week holiday just want to have some fun and then go home.
Trying to be a wannabe socialite and mingle with the high society is not exactly a barrel of laughs for many people.
What a stupid question. Why do I respond? simple, becuase post their private life on a public message board. i am equally bored like them, so I give my response. If you keep your private life away from message boards, responses from me won't be warranted.
malibrook, I am not sure if you are a male or a female, but I can tell you the same, to mind your own business and simply put me on ignore list. this way you won't have to see a single message written by me.
Now go away and run over some begger with your new jag and stop boring me in this rainy day.
AZB

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
AZB said:
What a stupid question. Why do I respond? simple, becuase post their private life on a public message board. i am equally bored like them, so I give my response. If you keep your private life away from message boards, responses from me won't be warranted.
AZB
While many of your diatribes are indeed directly directed to particular posts here, many are not.

I don't see any need to put anybody on ignore.
This is actually one of your more amusing posts.

See, you can be occasionally mildly amusing.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
AZB said:
Don't worry about my background, ask me if I am right.
I have been living with dominicans for the last 7 yrs and have been coming to this island since 1986 as tourist. There is nothing that you folks can tell me to change my mind, I have simply seen too much. I live among the real domincians, not among sosua, cabarete expats. I speak to powerful and decent domincians daily. I have drinks with them a few times a week. I speak their language and I even think like them. I know this culture inside out, both the society and the low ghetto culture. I used to mingle with the dominican dirt in puerto plata and I also used to think all domincians were like them.........]

Your background AZB is very important in my opinion to shed a true light on your remarks because your many society and social status remarks seem to point to a lack of concern for the good of all Dominicans.

Were you not afforded such a place of societal esteem in your previous life ?

You seem to hold in such high regard now this 'place' and seem determined to rise to in the Dominican Republic.

Most traveled people have seen that the worst kind of prejudices are often perpetrated by there fellow countryman and not by other racial group's.

In my eyes you represent the 'dirt', not the one's living in the ghetto's as you refer to them.

In my opinion you seem to be the worst kind of Racist. One full of prejudices towards the majority of the population of a country that you immigrated into.

'Real' Dominicans you like to call the elitist.

Is it possilbe you personally are trying to prove the old adage wrong.

The one about not being able to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

You are obviously the one to befriend if one wants to learn properly pronounced Spanish.

There is nothing 'us' folks can tell you. We are already another 'kind' of people to you it seems by those kind of remarks.

I did and will always treat every single person in the Dominican Republic as an equal. From the little I have seen I think they have many qualities I could aspire to.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DRShine said:
I was wondering if the sankies/sankettes ever get attached to their, um, "targets." Is it always, "This poor dumb*** really thinks I like her/him! Ha! How gullible!" or have there been cases where they've actually fallen for the, "target." Any stories or hear-say? Just curious.

Can we please get back to the original question.

Thanks

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Can we please get back to the original question.

Thanks

Indeed! And I really think that it's a question that is worthy of discussion.

Is it possible for a person who preys on the emotions of tourists for financial gain to become attached to thier victim? I doubt it. When finding another victim is always an option, why would a sankie/sankette bother to work at building a lasting relationship? It hasn't happened in my experience, but I'd really like to hear others who may have experienced something different.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I do know from talking to some of the guys that used to drag, I mean convince people that they need to hear a spiel about timeshare, I mean banking time, :nervous: and this was some of the things I heard.

Some had never met a foreigner before coming to the tourist areas. One of them told me that he met a girl from Holland and she seemed to really like him so how can you say no right?
They spent time together and she kept coming back to visit and they really had a good time but when the time came to move forward the girl didn't seem interested. At that point when she returned home she stopped writing or calling or recieving the calls. He had truly fallen for her.

So he said he would never let anyone break his heart again and that he would take whatever any other women had to offer without getting attached.

Could it be that good guys become jaded therefore became sankies? Kind of, keep as many of these women on the hook in case they change their minds? How many plane full of people arrive each week?

I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just saying what if?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Is it possible: of course.

Is it likely: eventually one or two are going to actually fall for a tourist, just look at the numbers, it has to happen.

Is it probable: Naaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Ask a prostitute if she is likely to fall in love with her clients. Remember this is not the movie set of Pretty Woman.....

These people are in the "business" of targeting tourists. Plain and simple.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
AZB said:
You have no clue about dominican republic. I bet you don't even live here. If you do, then you are totally isolated from the dominican republic and live in some sort of a beach community. You are only blowing hot air in the wind and no one is impressed with your idealistic dogmas.
Stay in canada and do come here to visit the beaches.
AZB

Yo! I thought we were through with this. How about discussing: do sankies/sankettes get attached to thier victims? These personal vitriolic diabribes are really boring!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
RonS said:
Yo! I thought we were through with this. How about discussing: do sankies/sankettes get attached to thier victims? These personal vitriolic diabribes are really boring!
It doesn't matter if they get attached or not get attached to their victims. There is nothing to gain out of friendship from these ghetto rats. they will latch on to you like leeches and suck your blood dry. Why mingle with these folks who have zero to offer. If sex is all you want then all I can say, you folks are missing out on all the fun. One of our cute barrio chopa will put all the UBH of sosua, puerto plata and cabarete to shame. This is also true for domiican men from larger cities, they are gentlemen when they take a date out for dancing. They will pick you up in their cars (no rental needed), fancy dinner, drinks and dancing in classy places. They will even take you to motels which egual in luxuary and style to sadam hussain's palace.
So tell me this, if you have all this in cibao valley and capital, why would anyone in their right mind pay for a sankie or a puta in coastal areas?
not me.
AZB
P.S. i am not talking about rich, elite, white, blah blah blah folks here. I am talking about common folks of cibao valley and santo domingo.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
I will tell you whats boring,

RonS said:
all this talk about sankies. I f you did not know where your next meal was coming from and had to make a living under these conditions, you would be the first one to put your *** out to work.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Dogstar you said:

I f you did not know where your next meal was coming from and had to make a living under these conditions, you would be the first one to put your *** out to work.

That is the issue here. These sankies do not have this issue THey have decent paying jobs by Dominican standards based on their qualifications and education. The issue is that they "pretend" to be something they are not!! They put on this whole act like they care and their "victims" fall for this crap. Now, everyone has a degree of responsibility here! The hotels and management allow it, the sankies do it, the tourists allow it and participate in it....

They whine and moan about it later! Sorry, no sympathy here....

In many ways I agree with AZB, not sure I would state it quite the same way....LOL but he makes some very very valid points.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
AZB said:
It doesn't matter if they get attached or not get attached to their victims. There is nothing to gain out of friendship from these ghetto rats. they will latch on to you like leeches and suck your blood dry. Why mingle with these folks who have zero to offer. If sex is all you want then all I can say, you folks are missing out on all the fun. One of our cute barrio chopa will put all the UBH of sosua, puerto plata and cabarete to shame. This is also true for domiican men from larger cities, they are gentlemen when they take a date out for dancing. They will pick you up in their cars (no rental needed), fancy dinner, drinks and dancing in classy places. They will even take you to motels which egual in luxuary and style to sadam hussain's palace.
So tell me this, if you have all this in cibao valley and capital, why would anyone in their right mind pay for a sankie or a puta in coastal areas?
not me.
AZB
P.S. i am not talking about rich, elite, white, blah blah blah folks here. I am talking about common folks of cibao valley and santo domingo.

Now we're getting to the heart and soul of the matter! It's not that I don't agree with what you just said, AZB, because basically, I do. But the good points that you make can get lost in the personal attacks.

As a foreigner, my first introduction to the Dominican Republic was the poverty and sexual husslers of Santo Domingo and Boca Chica. I think there are a lot of others who have similar experiences if for no other reason than that for a lot of visitors SDI is the point of entry into the country. When I ventured out of the capitol into the countryside and traveled to the north coast, to Samana and Las Terrenas, I found an entirely different invironment and a different attitude among the people. There, although the area is similarly frequented by many tourists, you don't get the same intensity and desparation.

I find that it is difficult for foreigners to meet and associate with Dominicans of class. Now, before I too get accused of being an elitist, let me quickly add this: 'class' and 'elitism' have different connotations in different cultures and what many may be resonding to is how those concepts play out in thier own culture. Unfortunately, we all filter things through the prism of our cultural and ethnic experience, and we must make every effort to break through this in order to truly communicate and understand each other. I think I can say that we are all looking for quality people. The question that was originally implied on this thread is are there quality sankie/sankettes who don't take forming relationships as business as usual? Perhaps there are, but I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
planner said:
THey have decent paying jobs by Dominican standards based on their qualifications and education.
They do?

What jobs are these and how much are they paid?

What exactly are their qualifications and education?

Some of these sankie/ghetto rat bashers make it seem as if they are turning down good jobs and scholarships just to be a sankie.

I'm sure all of these compassionate and sensitive humanitarians would have risen out of the barrios to become the pompous elitist asses that they are today.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Seriously Malibook: most of them are completely uneducated and have few skills. Some have been fortunate to pick up a language. I am specifically referring ot the animation staff in hotels.

For someone with no skills or education they start making somewhere in the range of 6,000 pesos a month, they get food and transportation on top of that. In some cases they will also receive a clean bed to sleep in and showers!!! Their uniforms are provided.

With many many people unemployed and with no prospects this is a darn good job.

We can also consider the waiters at maybe 5,000pesos, or the staff who clear the tables at a little less money.....

Second to that is the access to tourists, tips and other "benefits".

No - in many cases this is the option they choose. They are not turning down other offers - there aren't any other offers.

NOW, let's be clear that many employees at the AI"s etc are not Sankies!!! They are really decent hard working people.

Sankies are not limited to AI"s they are motoconcho drivers, taxi drivers, tour guides on excursions, down in the central park area, they can be the guys bagging groceries at the supermercado.

Sankie is a way of life, an attitude a way of taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves! It isn't about a job description or a particular area. They are wherever the opportunities are. And let's face it, the best access to gullible tourists is in the AI resorts.

My own experience: being hit on by the supervisor of animation. I turned him down. THe next day the story goes I bought him a bottle of scotch so he would sleep with me.... I think not...

My friend: got hit on by the senior manager of hte resort. She said yes. I'm pretty sure they had a good time and he did not tell his wife!

This is the example being set for the other staff members.

Just to show you once a sankie, always a sankie. Before you jump on me - YES of course their are exceptions.....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you planner. That was well put.

Malibook it's the BS and making these girls believe that the they are truly loved and that they are the one and only that most people are against. If it was just a straight business transaction we wouldn't be discussing this over and over again.

Everyone wants to be loved but being conned is not the way. Being poor is no excuse. There are many poor Dominican that wouldn't do his.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
planner said:
Seriously Malibook: most of them are completely uneducated and have few skills.

No - in many cases this is the option they choose. They are not turning down other offers - there aren't any other offers.

Before you jump on me .....
Hola Planner.

I enjoy your posts and certainly have no reason to jump on you.

If a sankie chooses to supplement his meager earnings by providing a service to another consenting adult (albeit some are naive), I don't see how that is any of my or anyone else's business.
Perhaps some of them do it for the good of their kids and parents.

Salut.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Malibook said:
Hola Planner.

I enjoy your posts and certainly have no reason to jump on you.

If a sankie chooses to supplement his meager earnings by providing a service to another consenting adult (albeit some are naive), I don't see how that is any of my or anyone else's business.
Perhaps some of them do it for the good of their kids and parents.

Salut.

Did you read my reply? Look up . hehehehehehehehe

So you are saying it's ok for them to lie and cheat and bull crap their way into someone's heart because they need money? What about the victims?

It's NOT the consenting adult that we are having a problem with.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Malibook it's the BS and making these girls believe that the they are truly loved and that they are the one and only that most people are against. If it was just a straight business transaction we wouldn't be discussing this over and over again.
Hola Anna.

Of course this is true but people need to accept responsibility for their own naivete, gullibility, and stupidity.

Many guys have been using BS to get sex and whatever forever.
Women have been known to do it too.
This isn't something unique about sankies and if anything, it is more understandable that this is a part of their motto/MO.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Planner, you are wasting you time with folks who live in canada and log on the Dr1 and try to impose their social values on a culture which is totally arcane to them. They have no clue as to what living in Dr is all about. I simply feel its better to bang my head against a concrete wall then to try to explain things to these idealists. Thanks god I have my turbin on or I would be brain dead by now from the blows.
Planner lives in POP and knows what she is talking about. Unless you folks live here, you have no idea what its like to live in a 3rd world caribbean country.