Is the DR better where you came from?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
LOL, really!?!? I don't know nothing about Poland at all, but don't come with that BS that Poland economy is way better than the DR. You know how many Polish people are living in London and The Netherlands (and maybe / of course other western European countries) to have a better life!

I mean, to be a "better" country than the DR doesn't take much.. but come on now. Way better!?!?!
Its more organized, at least it seems that way. Here, have a look (click on the box with the arrows on the upper right corner and move the yellow doll around on the map):

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.222752,21.266785&spn=0.279301,1.454315&t=m&z=10&layer=c&cbll=52.223127,21.004833&panoid=Vc9Esim00nqpegtQDW5zFA&cbp=11,0,,0,0&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.222752,21.266785&spn=0.279301,1.454315&t=m&z=10&layer=c&cbll=52.223127,21.004833&panoid=Vc9Esim00nqpegtQDW5zFA&cbp=11,0,,0,0&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Ver mapa m?s grande</a></small>

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I got tired of my "Eyes Burning" in the US,every time I wanted to have sex with an 18 year old girl!
I never have that problem here.
Must have been the "Pepper Spray"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

18 is legal............but to young.......
I like women who know what they are doing......
REALLY know what they are doing.......

B in Santiago

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For me it is not about being better or not, it was what I wanted to do. I make my own happiness and choose the quality of life I want to live. Whether here or in the US they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now this works for me, will I stay for ever, who knows. One thing for sure there is never a dull moment here, always something.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I think it is different to directly compare the DR to a country that you have lived in or were born in when someone asks or is debating something like "Are you happy you moved to the DR?" or "What do you miss most about living here?", I think what drives me mad along with lots of others I know is when a thread is about crime in the DR, wages, drugs...usually a thread with a negative vibe and people throw in posts like "100 more people were murdered in colombia last year than the DR, So the DR is not bad at all" kind of comment, that is off topic and irrelevant. So thats one thing.

Specifically asking people or starting a thread about differences is...well different.

I moved from the UK because I was sick of working and not being able to get an appointment with an NHS dentist, or paying huge council tax bills, well paying so much tax in general when so many people I know didnt do a god damned thing and were sitting alot prettier financially than I was. Sick of asylum seekers coming in and demanding thier own schools so their children didnt have to mix with english children, ripping off the system and living in mansions with their whole family, sick of not feeling free and needing permission to do everything.

However having lived here for 8 years now I see the benefits of living in the UK, fantastic law enforcement, free medical care, free schooling, safe roads, excellent emergency services and I never went to bed at night wondering if that night was going to be the night someone was going to come in my house and chop me up with a machete lol. I am so glad I did move here as I will kiss the ground when I arrive back in the UK.

I will go back to the UK soon, especially now I have children. As a parent I have to put myself last and give my children the best I am able to give them. I feel living here in the DR is not the best...it is the easiest as far as money and living in big houses in concerned, so for the sake of my children I am planning to move back and I will feel better knowing that if one of them is sick or in an accident they will be seen by the best doctors and even things like taking them to the park to feed the ducks will give them so much more.

Apart from that I can go shopping and cover everything I eat in salad cream..yum!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Another thought, I was once asked "What is the best thing about living in the DR?" my reply was "I feel free to do what I want" then I was asked "What is the worst thing about living in the DR?" my reply "Everyone else feels free to do what they want".

Sums it up for me.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Specifically asking people or starting a thread about differences is...well different.

That's called thinking outside of the box.

After all, all the doom and gloom threads about the DR and how bad it is to live here become less dramatic if where one came from isn't a whole lot better.

Perspective - some people really lack it here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL, really!?!? I don't know nothing about Poland at all

if you do not know then maybe you can STFU? the economy back home is far more stable than in many EU countries and showed growth even when other states were struggling. poland is still one of the countries attracting investors from all over europe (god knows why since polaks are amongst most boring individulas gracing planet earth). this is why many of those who left have come back. and guess what, they are doing better than ever. one of my friends was fresh out of law school, came to london to learn the language, worked as a cleaner for two years. decided to go back and is now on the board of directors of one of the biggest hospitals in the country.
but why do i waste my breath...
to make it more DR related: population of poland is four times the population of DR yet dominicans are in the first 10 countries whose citizens immigrated to the states.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
NOT AT ALL!

The place or / and it's people do matter. I've only been here for not more than 60 days and I already know I can't do this for a year!

Maybe if I replace with taking the bus with owning a car, a lot of irritation would go away. Cos no, I don't own a car.

I'm taking the underground in London, pretty messed up but it's okay.. no biggie.

I'm taking the bus in Miami also, most of the time I'm having a good time because everybody is polite and willing to have a conversation with you.

I'm taking the bus, or those mini vans here in Santo Domingo.. boy o boy. Too much to mention. (and no, I don't have that type of money to take the taxi all the time)

The above is just a one of the many things that are fckng up my experience.

Yeah, Santo Domingo has good weather and girls to die for.. but Miami has that too and it comes with many more benefits than Santo Domingo or the Santo Domingo I experience to keep it fair.

Also for an example, I just like to walk around with my chain and watch, I never have to worry about getting your chain snatched in Miami.. but here I can't do that.

And then again, it is indeed the life you're living.. if you're living in a resort everything you need is there and you ain't getting involved with the daily BS that much and if you're a millionaire the place indeed doesn't matter.

But for me personally, nah..

I have to disagree with you on this one ME ENCANTA the guaguas in Santo Domingo. Everybody think I am crazy because I love riding in " carros publicos". In cities across the USA buses only stop at certain corners, pero en Santo Domingo if your home is close to the gas station just YELL OUT over the music " CHOFER EN LA BOMBA"!!!! Can't get this in Miami.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
That's exactly the problem with gua guas and publicos, they pull over whenever they feel like it with no regards to the other people on the road.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey, i'm in favour of the public transport. travelling in own car is alwyas kinda boring but public transport... always fun.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"JMB773,Talks "RICH" about Chicago,but rides in "Publicos" in Santo Domingo!!!
"Oh!",I forgot,on the internet,EVERYBODY is rich,AND Goodlooking!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
I'm neither one.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
The United States is not a failed state. The DR clearly is.
Although if you like street smart hookers, the place has those in plentiful supply..

After traveling a bit around Brazil and Costa Rica, I realized you can have all the things DR offers
(beaches, tropical weather, cheaper cost of living) without having to deal with Dominicans and their ghetto uneducated 3rd world ways.. Not much to do when so many don't care about ther own country...

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's WHY we are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Smart?",sure,but at a 90% discount over USA girls of the same age,body,and "Skill Set"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And they,just like "Doritos",keep making MORE all the time!
"Munch All You Want,We'll Make MORE!"

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
The United States is not a failed state. The DR clearly is.
Although if you like street smart hookers, the place has those in plentiful supply..

After traveling a bit around Brazil and Costa Rica, I realized you can have all the things DR offers
(beaches, tropical weather, cheaper cost of living) without having to deal with Dominicans and their ghetto uneducated 3rd world ways.. Not much to do when so many don't care about ther own country...
You don't live here, right?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The little village where I'm originally from hardly any place on earth can compare for clean air, water, and shear physical beauty of nature, however the fall is constant rain, the winters are largly miserable, in general the weather just sucks. The people that are there are friendly, but there is hardly anyone there. Prices for gas, food, ...etc expensive but the electricity is relatively cheap and always there. I could never live there again. In the past you didn't lock the doors on your house or cars. Much work done there is barter system. You build me a deck, I'll bring you 200 lbs of salmon and 100 lbs of potatoes...etc.
pi2 would love it there.

Bella Coola Valley, BC Canada

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
My village in Devon, England was similar in many ways to bob's and I don't feel I want to return to live there either. Also a barter system existed whereby the local farmer weighed his corn on our weighbridge in return for a bag of swedes!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My village in Devon, England was similar in many ways to bob's and I don't feel I want to return to live there either. Also a barter system existed whereby the local farmer weighed his corn on our weighbridge in return for a bag of swedes!!

Sounds like a good deal.......Nothing like a bag of Beautiful blue eyed Swedes....
If only they had that system here.......:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our homes in NJ and DR are both in beach towns, so I think we have the best of both worlds. We live on a small NJ barrier island [where we live it's only 4.5 blocks wide] in the US, so we can walk to the beach in either country. Neither our US town or our DR town have high schools. We're about 45 minutes from Philly in the US, about 45 minutes from Santo Domingo in DR.

Even with the aggravation of electricity, we find DR more relaxing. While we're there we forget most of the rest of the world - when we're in the US we're both news junkies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Sounds like a good deal.......Nothing like a bag of Beautiful blue eyed Swedes....
If only they had that system here.......:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

Was it a straight bag of Swedes or a mixed bag of Swedes?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
"JMB773,Talks "RICH" about Chicago,but rides in "Publicos" in Santo Domingo!!!
"Oh!",I forgot,on the internet,EVERYBODY is rich,AND Goodlooking!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
I'm neither one.
CC I was BORN on public transportation. I could have a Rolls Royce Ghost parked outside and I would still hope on the El, subway, publicos, guaguas or SF cable cars. I told you many TIMES I work at Burger King cleaning restrooms. I happy with what I do.

My wife has a car in SD, but I choose to WALK and take guaguas in Dominican Republic why is this in issue with you? Lastly I would NEVER want anyone to call me " GOODLOOKING", but rather you call me a player, hustler, paper chaser and my favorite" SWEET ICE"