Is there anyplace in DR better than Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sorry!

Thanks Tamborista ! That's one place I'll refrain from visiting... Canadian Bob.
I did not see your question to me but let just say that it's true when they say:

In Guachupita, "te roban las medias sin quitarte los zapatos" (they will steal your socks without taking your shoes off). SOME say it's worse than Gualey.

Let me put it to you better:

If you are just passing by the neighborhood and they know you are not from there: MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!.

Aug 19, 2004
Jondaba I think you need to open your eyes and get out more. The only place worse than Sousa is Boca Chica. The reason why so many expats go on saying how the chav tourist capital of the Caribbean is so wonderful is that they can't bare to come to terms with the reality of the place - a tacky cheap resort.

B

batich

For many years Boca Chica with its beautiful blue-green Caribbean Sea was my favorite place to stay in DR. But in last years it became way too dirty and I relocated to Sosua. But I see here too signs of the same process of overdevelopment and too much influx of tourists .
That brings noise, dirt, water polution and crime.

For this reason I think that buying RE in Sosua is risky now.

I like Cabarete too, but water is not as good for long swimming as in Sosua or Boca Chica.

There are other areas in the country, that are much better to live than Sosua or Cabarete. But if you are gringo you must stay with gringo community, gated settlements, 24-hour armed security. Otherwise sooner or later you are in a very big trouble.

And such communities exist only in Sosua or Cabarete. So, for you (and for those like me) - Sosua or Cabarete are the best now.

It is only MHO, so if somebody is of a different opinion please do not attack me personally. I am only answering her question to the best of my knowleadge.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For a tourist, Sosua is like a tiny Carribean Daytona beach with hookers. It can be fun, but some find it boring after a while. One commodity hard to come by there is Trust, unless you come with friends or actually establish real relationships there-and then you still have to be careful.

Saying Sosua is representative of the entire DR is like saying the Bronx is representative of the entire US.

I remember Sosua from the mid-80's very well. After a 10-year hiatus, I came back and couldn't recognize the place. What was once a laid-back beach town had become a huge tourist Mecca and ex-pat community.

B

batich

For a tourist, Sosua is like a tiny Carribean Daytona beach with hookers. It can be fun, but some find it boring after a while. One commodity hard to come by there is Trust, unless you come with friends or actually establish real relationships there-and then you still have to be careful.

Saying Sosua is representative of the entire DR is like saying the Bronx is representative of the entire US.

I remember Sosua from the mid-80's very well. After a 10-year hiatus, I came back and couldn't recognize the place. What was once a laid-back beach town had become a huge tourist Mecca and ex-pat community.

Same thing happened to me when I returned to Boca Chica after three years in Western Africa and did not recognize it. I realized that good old places are gone forever.

Same thing will happen to Sosua with 10 thousand more tourists/expats and a couple more huge megahotels.

History goes in cycles. If my memory serves me well Sosua went through a similar boom and devastation about 50-60 years ago.

A smart developer should starting building a small gated high security town with its own ifrastructure and easy access to its own beach and to the road in about 20-25 km from Sosua and Cabarete. I want to be the first one to buy a house there.

Development and globalization eventually will destroy it too, but it will be after our life.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I've read all the posts about the different places that "may be better" than Sosua and that may be true but everyone has varying tastes. I for one go to Puerto Plata (Sosua) once a year ,twice if I can swing it. Each time I say I am going to take a trip to Santa Domingo, or Santiago and that hasn't happened yet. I feel so comfortable in Sosua, I just like to wander around the city and each time I manage to see something that I missed earlier.

The people that I have met there are great and each time I go back I make sure that I look them up. I think that I have made some good friends there.

WIth that said, I have been to Puerto Plata and Cabarete and I enjoyed both trips, but Sosua is the place for me for now.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think there is no place better than sosua. I think you should just stay there and don't even think of wasting your time coming to santiago or the capital.
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm proud of you

I think there is no place better than sosua. I think you should just stay there and don't even think of wasting your time coming to santiago or the capital.
AZB

AZB--now wasn't that easier?Said it all in 2 sentences and you dont have to vent. Good for the heart and the mind.

JOHN

jondaba

Sep 26, 2006
Fabulous Sosua

I was there last month again. I just love it. BTW I checked out Guachupita - rather go to Haiti.

But thanks for al the responses. But no one said anything about t Punta Cana

Where is the best place to go in the Mountains. Is there any fresh watter fishing?

Adios! and Thanks!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i think sosua is a good base for visiting the DR. when you get tired of sosua, just jump on the bus Gus. big cities like STI and SDQ are a little too crowded and lots of crime.
is there a place in the DR where girls are not trying to make money ? a simple "no gracias" will take care of that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You seem to like it up here lately ;) See ya in 2 weeks

Lets just say, i like your pool and it so happens it is located in sosua. I will brinb the rest from santiago.
See ya soon, I am freezing my butt in atlanta at the moment.
AZB

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
if you think Sosua i great then you surely hhavn't been around the island,how about monsion,Jarabacoa,Las tarenas,punta rusia,santiago,Santo Domingo look around a bit,unless you like spending all your time with tourists,I have to give the hos in Sosua credit they can take your money ,watch etc,and you'll never know its gone.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
If I ever get out of this place....

......Santiago is where I'd love to settle in. It is a relatively clean, medium sized city that's centrally located so's easy to get to mountain towns of Constanza, Jarabacoa. Also, the north coast is only about an hour away.
Santiago es mi tierra natal and I love it dearly. Someday I hope to move and spend the rest of my years there. Pero cuando sera?

yazzman13

Oct 12, 2006
"is there a place in the DR where girls are not trying to make money ? a simple "no gracias" will take care of that."

Yes, but saying it 453 times in one night out in Sosua can get pretty tiresome.

Personally I think much of the DR (at least the places i visited) has a prostitution problem. I am compiling a trip report which I will post on here in due course which goes into more detail.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
......Santiago is where I'd love to settle in. It is a relatively clean, medium sized city that's centrally located so's easy to get to mountain towns of Constanza, Jarabacoa. Also, the north coast is only about an hour away.
Santiago es mi tierra natal and I love it dearly. Someday I hope to move and spend the rest of my years there. Pero cuando sera?

Don juan, don't wait till you are old and tired to move down here. Make your move now and enjoy the life while you are young and healthy. I made my decision to move here when I turned 35. I drew a line back in atlanta. Whats behind the line stays there and the rest, pa' lanta. I had planned my move for many years so when the time came, I was all ready. Now I am the happiest man in santiago. So good that not many expats don't find this city so charming. You have to live here to appreciate this lovely town and its people. The weekend ferreteria warriors from north coast to santiago will only find traffic and dumb people who don't speak english. Jajajajaja. que bueno.
AZB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is an interesting thread..because for some people Sosua *is* the best DR has to offer, and for others it is the *worst* DR has...probably not too many places here that are so polarizing.

The thing that attracted me to the DR in the first place was it's diversity, both culturally and geographically...

Without trying to start another "best of" thread, a listing of what different areas are known for/best for would be interesting for those interested in exploring different and specific facets of the country.

The one thing I do miss on the North Coast are great restaurants...while there are plenty of great places to eat, and for the most part, I prefer the more casual vibe... and food of Sosua and Cabarete, Santo Domingo has some world-class restaurants...that being said..one of the best meals Ive had in my lifetime was at Papi's, on the beach in Cabarete :)

Status
Not open for further replies.