It seems as the DR is preparing for war?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think the war will be started by military forces but by civil Dominican population MACHATE is what I see on the media today.

Pedernales tomorrow will be Haitian-less an ultimatum for Haitians to leave was released today.

The entire civil population of this town was on the streets today.

Espero que la sangre no llegue al rio manana!

JJ

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Wow, two folks with military expertise and both from Canada.

Thanks for the detailed information Russell. The point is not to be afraid, rather concern.

Anytime small countries as these two come to blows it usually derives from small mishaps, misunderstanding which in turn end in military escalation.

Take Ecuador and Peru as sample of prior confrontation, the end state there was military confrontation and death.

Russell and Mr Bob, were you two officers, enlisted, combat veterans?

Are there more members with military background, SEALS, Special Forces, etc that could chime in as far as their experience with military deployments and maneuvers as this one?

100% normal. When i was assigned to NATO in Europe, there were tons of exercises, for various reasons. One, is for a show of military power, and, potentially act as a deterrent, Others are done in order to maintain combat readiness. Tactical Fighter wings have their ORI's (operational readiness inspection). Other Commands have their own; it's been that way since the '50s, I believe. (I really miss those chem warfare suites).

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Dozens of Haitians have returned voluntarily to their country for fear of reprisals from a group of Dominicans who gave them until 10:00 am on Tuesday to leave this province.

General Sugar Frugis Martinez, director of the Specialized Body of Border Security (CESFRONT), warned that "we will disband any plan of aggression or forced eviction to foreigners who are in Dominican territory."

This border area lives a tense calm. Last night the National Police reinforced security by sending more riot police. Also the Army and the Cesfront collaborate with the Police in the maintenance of public order.

http://almomento.net/pedernales-autoridades-garantizan-orden-pese-exodo-haitianos/

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
100% normal. When i was assigned to NATO in Europe, there were tons of exercises, for various reasons. One, is for a show of military power, and, potentially act as a deterrent, Others are done in order to maintain combat readiness. Tactical Fighter wings have their ORI's (operational readiness inspection). Other Commands have their own; it's been that way since the '50s, I believe. (I really miss those chem warfare suites).

Were you also Canadian military and I take Airforce?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the original point. Haiti is running out of water. Where will the people go when this happens? The repeated question of if the military collecting on the border has been done before is not as relevant as what will happen when Haiti runs out of water if the military is not at the border. The country with no hope is about to run out of all hope.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Back to the original point. Haiti is running out of water. Where will the people go when this happens? The repeated question of if the military collecting on the border has been done before is not as relevant as what will happen when Haiti runs out of water if the military is not at the border. The country with no hope is about to run out of all hope.

There is something the Dominican government is heedful of that the rest of us may not at this moment hence all the action at the border.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think it is about that finally is something done to avoid that 99% of the repatriated are not back again in between 24 hours...

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

I don't understand.....are Haitian rivers drying up or something????....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't understand.....are Haitian rivers drying up or something????....

When you cut down all the trees to burn them as a fuel source to cook the almost non-existent food supply, you eliminate the watershed provided by those trees. The rains then run off instead of being held in the watershed. If you have no viable sanitation systems, the remaining water is polluted and causes sickness. It is a very bad situation. I have new neighbors that recently spent almost 6 years trying to help in Haiti. They see a completely and totally hopeless situation there. A lost cause with zero hope of recovery. This is of tremendous concern to the DR since the DR cannot handle more Haitian refugees and there are up to 11 million of them in Haiti. And Haiti will only get worse and worse over time.

https://thewaterproject.org/water-crisis/water-in-crisis-haiti

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Thanks for the article...Haiti is not running out of water.....the major problem is access to reliable, clean water....according to the piece one solution is repairing wells that were destroyed by the 2010 earthquake....the operative word is access, but there is plenty of water there....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, since the USA is doing it and the DR likes to copy so much from the big northern country...

[video=youtube;YtSW5HEozWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSW5HEozWg[/video]

In fact, that's the perfect defense against any criticisms towards the DR if it decides to build a similar wall to enforce the border.

The answer? "Well, the USA is doing it, why can't we?"

Last edited:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

If we could for a moment use the word ''water'' as a metaphor ; the same is happening currently on the border between USA and Canada. Many Refugees from USA escaping hopeless situation with US Immigration Policy ; Illegal border crossing.
The difference is that Canada needs larger population base... the DR does not!

Freaking NGO's have the power and money to stop this madness ; somehow the Global Community must understand this situation.... maybe a collective Global protest against NGO Intentions just 'Might' (And that is a hypothesis) make a difference. But, alas! as usual it will be too late.
Now that PetroCarib (I think that is the Venezuela National Oil co) has stopped sending Mega Bucks to the Haitian Government for Administration costs... it will get even worse.
I applaud RD Government for Operational Readiness.
THis one ''Sh*t storm'' I do not want to see happen.
No water, No food no shelter ..... tell me "what would you do" .... if all you had was ''shanks mare'' for transportation.
Hoofing it to the RD is their only option. Poor souls!
Where is France in all of this tragic happening ....
They ''jumped'' into Rwanda with the FFL when all else failed. After millions paid the price with their lives.

Bravo Republic Dominicana ; it is your Country , protect it from all infiltrators and sh*t disturbers ''foreign and Domestic'' ..... sounds familiar?
Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If we could for a moment use the word ''water'' as a metaphor ; the same is happening currently on the border between USA and Canada. Many Refugees from USA escaping hopeless situation with US Immigration Policy ; Illegal border crossing.
The difference is that Canada needs larger population base... the DR does not!

Freaking NGO's have the power and money to stop this madness ; somehow the Global Community must understand this situation.... maybe a collective Global protest against NGO Intentions just 'Might' (And that is a hypothesis) make a difference. But, alas! as usual it will be too late.
Now that PetroCarib (I think that is the Venezuela National Oil co) has stopped sending Mega Bucks to the Haitian Government for Administration costs... it will get even worse.
I applaud RD Government for Operational Readiness.
THis one ''Sh*t storm'' I do not want to see happen.
No water, No food no shelter ..... tell me "what would you do" .... if all you had was ''shanks mare'' for transportation.
Hoofing it to the RD is their only option. Poor souls!
Where is France in all of this tragic happening ....
They ''jumped'' into Rwanda with the FFL when all else failed. After millions paid the price with their lives.

Bravo Republic Dominicana ; it is your Country , protect it from all infiltrators and sh*t disturbers ''foreign and Domestic'' ..... sounds familiar?
Russell

Those leaving the USA for Canada in no way can be compared to Haitians trying to get in to the DR. There is nothing hopeless about those invading Canada. They arent starving or in any danger in the USA. Canada just has a better welfare package for them andan idiot for a Leader. Haitians really are starving.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the article...Haiti is not running out of water.....the major problem is access to reliable, clean water....according to the piece one solution is repairing wells that were destroyed by the 2010 earthquake....the operative word is access, but there is plenty of water there....

There is also plenty of water in the ocean, but that water is also not potable. I will stand with what I said about Haiti running out of water that is useful for the people.

Repairing wells could help, but who is going to pay for and do the work with no real government at all?

A major issue is still the lack of watershed from a lack of trees.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
"The tensions between the Dominican Republic and Haiti will not disappear while the latter country remains in its traditional picture of misery. The Pedernales is part of "our daily bread"; it is the repetition of similar events recorded in other cities and different times.

It is indisputable that there is a permanent attempt by Haitians to penetrate Dominican territory; not violently and aggressively as in the pre-independence period, but peaceful and silent, unplanned, driven by the poverty and precariousness in which they live."

http://almomento.net/opinion-una-nueva-vision-para-enfrentar-el-problema-haitiano/