Jatropha Curcas

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jatropha (hig?erillo) has been promoted as the biodiesel salvation of both Brazil's northeast, Central America and Haiti, so it's not all that surprising to me to see it promoted in the DR too. It is ideal for poor soils not much good for planting anything else, but it requires about 10 times the amount of acreage to produce B5 biodiesel than does African palm (which has its own trade-offs). Even that acreage requirement assumes ideal conditions, i.e., that 38% by weight of the seed is oil, productivity would be 1.5 metric tons per hectare, successful oil extraction rates of 85%, etc. So it may not be the best source for biodiesel for the DR. As for whether it would be economically viable, that depends on competitive agricultural production costs, certain tax rates, the price of a barrel of oil.... I wonder if anyone has even attempted such calculations yet for the DR as ECLAC has already done for the Central American nations? [Maybe GTZ has, and that's why they're not enthusiastic!]

1Tech

Apr 6, 2008
Gtz ?

Mountainannie Thank you.

I have only read brief articles about the GTZ so I new little of its existence.
If anyone has a brief insight? Otherwise I will google it :)

We are only in a pilot stage of developing Bio Diesel. The more important leverage of our project is the location and its ability to, recieve produce and move diesel and the fact it also plays into some warm factors of ECO-Development. Reality prevails, more is needed from alternative energy sources. Ours is just a small portion in the grand scheme, but potentially enough to raise a large future investment (already discussed with our sources). And it's trying to do some good at the same time.

I'm British, I don't have any ill regards to Germans or other nationals for that matter :) but I see your point that cultures do differ and that sometimes makes it hard to do trade.

I simply liked the fact that they are considering ways to fix all the burned ground in Haiti and Jatropha was in the suggestion box.
I vacation the DR quite often, I had read about the Jatropha project.

I appreciate your response and hope to get further input to this topic.

BTW I'm just an old engineer not Jonny Exon :))

Best regards
Alan

1Tech

Apr 6, 2008
Thank You

That was very insightful information.
And adds to our project factors.

Thanks!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
GTZ is the German development & technical cooperation agency. They are all over Latin America and the Caribbean (indeed, the developing world), and particularly strong in environment, water and sanitation projects.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just meant that GTZ would not be really encouraging to you about the Jatropha - the head guy said that he has not seen that anywhere in the world has it proved to be a marketable replacement fuel -- BUT he may be thinking really of a fuel that replaces oil for cars, not something that will save the trees or save the lungs of kids from the carbon of indoor cooking fuels. And I guess I was bit startled since I thought that someone who was really involved with the project would be oozing with enthusiasm when talking with someone from the press. But, at least, they would probably be happy to have you go out and take a look at the project from which you could learn.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Biodiesel manufacturing in Azua

Here it is from the DR1 ..
Biodiesel plant in Azua
After long years of planning and waiting on government approvals, the Globasol company has announced the start of a program to produce biodiesel fuel in the south western province of Azua. The source of the fuel will be castor beans and a variety of pine nuts called pinon de leche. The investment is expected to reach US$65 or US$75 million. The project involves the construction of six eco-villages that will operate as cooperatives for workers and their families to live. It is expected that 12,000 jobs will be created. The plant is designed to produce 18 million gallons of diesel fuel per year without destroying local eco-systems. It will be located near the wharf at Pueblo Viejo in Azua.

and here from DT (the comments are the best part ;))
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...M-biodiesel-plant-in-Dominican-south-province

and here is a little more ...
http://www.listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=53998

and who are they? ...
Globasol