Legally producing and selling beer

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I could definitely do the high alcohol brew if need be. I could see that being a hit with a lot of people looking for more bang for the buck in terms of booze content.

If people can get wrecked on four, then they do not need to buy 8 - you've just cut your sales in half.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I have been making wine and hard cider at home in NYC for about 3 years now. I always have to wait until the temperature is relatively stable to start production. The DR high temperature would probably speed up the fermentation. The yeasts will hibernate as soon as the sugars are gone. I don't believe the faster fermentation would harm the taste. Keeping the carboy out of the sunlight would be my concern. I know winemaking kits say cool dark place but in NYC in the summer is hot and humid. My batches turned out fine. You can probably get some nice grapes in DR also. Would be interesting to make a sparkling Chinola Wine.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
A good project might be rum. I think you could probably get the molasses cheap from the igenio. Then with a reverse thumper distill the mash double distill. Use turbo yeast to get good alcohol and maybe infuse with something nice. Get a good flavoring to add taste and nice color. Keg that baby for about 5 years. I have seen one gallon mini kegs and I am sure they sell 5gal kegs. So if bootleg moonshine is in mason jars. What do you put moonshine rum in?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Don't mean to deflect, but does anyone know where I could find small quantities of glass bottles 16-20oz at reasonable price? Im doing a home project which may require them on a regular basis but small quantities like few dozen a month max.

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
Don't mean to deflect, but does anyone know where I could find small quantities of glass bottles 16-20oz at reasonable price? Im doing a home project which may require them on a regular basis but small quantities like few dozen a month max.

Expat would presidente bottles suffice? I cant think of a more plentiful bottle there in the DR. I'm not living there but maybe if you tried bars or a happening colmado you could find some. I have gotten some from a bar here in the states for homebrewing (it was a mix of different brands).

I have also purchased the 16 oz plastic screw top bottles made for homebrewing that work well. You could probably get those shipped to you cheaper than an equal qty of glass. the website i used was homebrew.com they are located in charlotte, nc. Great customer service but im sure there are a ton more options for the same bottles.

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
I have been making wine and hard cider at home in NYC for about 3 years now. I always have to wait until the temperature is relatively stable to start production. The DR high temperature would probably speed up the fermentation. The yeasts will hibernate as soon as the sugars are gone. I don't believe the faster fermentation would harm the taste. Keeping the carboy out of the sunlight would be my concern. I know winemaking kits say cool dark place but in NYC in the summer is hot and humid. My batches turned out fine. You can probably get some nice grapes in DR also. Would be interesting to make a sparkling Chinola Wine.

Joe at minimum i would have a temp controlled chest freezer or similar where i could ferment anything from a lager to an ale. I have a lot of the needed equipment here at home in the states but will have to buy the big stuff the next time i get to the DR. i know the electric is unreliable there so im a little worried about not having the juice to keep the brew at a stable temp - i will have to rent a space in a good area that doesnt lose power every 4 hours like where my wifes family lives. Not sure that exists in santo domingo! now im thinking everything should run on gas! burners on hot liquor tank, kettle and mash tun will definitely be propane.

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
I wish you the best of luck. And for God's sake do not cross the road in front of a Presidente truck.
Cheers

thank you melphis. I will keep an eye out for the presidente trucks for sure. luckily Trujillo sp? isnt around anymore i know he had a big investment into that company and I heard he wasn't one to mess with!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A good project might be rum. I think you could probably get the molasses cheap from the igenio. Then with a reverse thumper distill the mash double distill. Use turbo yeast to get good alcohol and maybe infuse with something nice. Get a good flavoring to add taste and nice color. Keg that baby for about 5 years. I have seen one gallon mini kegs and I am sure they sell 5gal kegs. So if bootleg moonshine is in mason jars. What do you put moonshine rum in?

Bringing ice to Eskimos might also be a good idea...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DRDYL. I would love for a project for a microbrewery to work in the north coast. But, I just see it being very hard to survive.
While there are many micro brewers in the US that seem to do OK, there are also craft brewers such as the Genesee Brewing company which people use to brew their own craft beers using Genesee's equipment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Microbrewery in Santo Domingo sold all of their equipment to a Swiss fellow on the north coast who also tried to get into the brewing business.

I asked about him not too long ago. He was the Swiss mechanic with a shop near the bridge over the Camu river, not far from the airport entrance.

His business didn't survive either.

The big copper tanks were pretty big.... I'd say they were easily about 8-10 ft high and 5-6 ft diagonally. Maybe they were trying to produce too much?

I think I'm gonna grab my Friend and go check it out before he leave for vacation to the states.

I spoke to that Swiss mechanic years ago after the tanks had already disappeared. He said that he and his partner had imported the equipment and that his partner filed a lawsuit against him and stole it from him before he could start brewing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The plot thickens.

How long ago was that Windy? I've often wondered about him. He's a cranky old fart, but one of the best mechanics I've ever used.

I think that was about 6 years ago when we had a motorcycle head reworked by him.

KMotley

Apr 23, 2018
Hi, Did you ever make like this happen? Would love to know what you learned? Anyone who has any insight, please shoot me an e-mail... kicynyc at gmail dot com