Libros en espa?ol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Existentialism in literature- 2 Posts

Existentialism in literature

When choosing literature and books to read do you consider the era in which an author wrote his/her novels? Other than contemporary literature of the twenty first century, what era in literature is most intriguing to you? Spanish and Latin American literature are both renowned for some great periods of writing for example from the eighteenth to the twentieth century. A writer’s work is a reflection of a period of time in history. In my opinion, the more the reader knows about the era of literature in which a novel was written, the more s/he can appreciate the literary work of an author.

If I had to classify a period that intrigues me most it would have to be contemporary literature and the reason being is because the themes do reflect modern day events that are easier to relate to and many books are not focused on heavy social and political themes. While some contemporary authors may bend in that direction, in a general sense their fictional literature tends to reflect themes of the day free of deep ideologies as well as political and social tendencies although most definitely present in the work of many authors.

The existentialist philosophy/belief was predominant in Europe and my interest is specifically in the nineteenth and twentieth century. I would like to go back in time and read some literature from the existentialist period in both Spanish and French literature. Many great authors emerged from this period in both languages and also it was a precursor to the new era that followed (social realism) from which many great authors also emerged and whose literature is popular today. Some novels of the existentialist period are considered classics and mandatory reading in literature courses. Some call it a doctrine, a trend or a philosophy; however, I am interested in understanding more about it because key authors in European literature centered the themes of their novels on this belief which ultimately reflected the way they viewed the world.

While there is a general belief about life according to the existentialist philosophy each author's belief either differed or had certain concepts/ aspects in common with other existentialist views.

Existentialism:

'Existentialism is more a trend or tendency that can be found throughout the history of philosophy. Existentialism is hostile towards abstract theories or systems that propose to describe all of the intricacies and difficulties of human life through more-or-less simplistic formulas. Existentialists focus primarily on matters such as choice, individuality, subjectivity, freedom, and the nature of existence itself'.

For more details:
What is Existentialism? History of Existentialism, Existentialist Philosophy, Philosophers

Other interesting definitions are found in this link:

existentialism: Definition from Answers.com

bhdh5h.jpg
15mlnhx.jpg

The French novel that I read over twenty years ago titled L’?tranger by Albert Camus is an example of existentialism extraordinaire. I enjoyed the novel at the time and it was one that I found very interesting and unique without even fully understanding the philosophy and the mind set of an existentialist. However, I knew that one day I would probably read the book again because I would have gained more life experience and knowledge and most likely look at life from a different lens. Well, the time has come and I am not sure what has triggered my urge to reflect about life from the point of view of an existentialist (I am not saying I am one but this philosophy intrigues now) It’s possibly because of the uncertainty of life given the many unforeseen events that have been occurring around the world. This year alone has many examples of the global instability.

I reference French existentialism because it was a renowned literary period par excellence and because many authors who were part of this era have translated literature in Spanish. Albert Camus is probably the most well known from that period followed by Jean Paul Sartre. I would like to re-read L’?tranger and then La peste in French (same title in both languages ironically just different pronunciation. I have the novel in both languages).

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Post #2- existentialism con't...

Who are the renowned existentialist authors in Spanish literature? The first two that come to mind are Jorge Borges and Miguel de Unamuno. I am not a fan of Borges’ literature although I have only sampled extracts but De Unamuno’s writing interests me. I have one of his popular books, Niebla which may be a good choice or one of his other novels.

2jetw7d.jpg

If I can find the time, I definitely want read one book from this genre this summer. I think I will be able to appreciate the themes presented in some of these novels that tend to be deep with heavy ideologies.

I am currently reading a French novel, Le go?t des jeunes filles by Dany Laferri?re and once completely I will pick an interesting Spanish novel from my huge pile to kick off the summer. The heavy favourite still is Los vivos y los muertos by Edmundo Paz Sold?n or one of my choices from post #110.

For those of you who are interested in some popular books currently in a few countries, here’s a recent list:

CHILE
1.- "Los hombres que no amaban a las mujeres" - Stieg Larsson
2.- "Antolog?a General" - Pablo Neruda
3.- "La elegancia del erizo" - Muriel Barbery
4.- "La isla bajo el mar" - Isabel Allende

ESPA?A

1.- "El asedio" - Arturo P?rez Reverte
2.- "El tiempo entre costuras" - Mar?a Due?as Vinuesa
3.- "Dime qui?n soy" - Julia Navarro
4.- "Venganza en Sevilla" - Matilde Asensi

MEXICO

1.- "A la sombra del ?ngel" - Kathryn S. Blair
2.- "Nerds: n?cleo de espionaje, rescate y defensa secretos" - Michael Buckley
3.- "El asedio" - Arturo P?rez Reverte
4.- "Arrebatos carnales" - Francisco Mart?n Moreno
……………..
8.- "Un dulce olor a muerte" - Guillermo Arriaga

-I did some research on this author when I read the list. Check him out; he has some great contemporary novels. I bought the book based on the reviews.

-MP.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
My book BETRAYAL: Clinton, Castro & The Cuban Five is being translated into Spanish now and it's tentantive publication date is January 2011

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
2011 new year, new literature----

Reading in 2011​

At the beginning of a new year I always have reading aspirations and my focus on a few novels that I hope to read. This year is no different from any other. This past year, 2010 was the worst for reading that I have had in a long time although I still managed to read four novels and I am very close to finishing my fifth which I was hoping to finish by year end but I was not able to.

I read both Spanish and French novels and this year will be the same game plan. The only problem is there’s always so much to read and time is always a factor. However, if I set a realistic target and stick to it as much as possible, I think 2011 will be a good year for reading.

I have been following the weekly top ten lists periodically from different Latin countries and surprisingly there are not too many popular novels across the board. Every country seems to have a unique list of the top ten most popular books per week. The only one that seems to have popularity in a few countries is "El sue?o del celta" by Mario Vargas Llosa.

Los 10 libros m?s vendidos de la semana - Yahoo! Noticias

……………..
8.- "Un dulce olor a muerte" - Guillermo Arriaga

-I did some research on this author when I read the list. Check him out; he has some great contemporary novels. I bought the book based on the reviews.
-MP.

I actually did read Un dulce olor a muerte in September and I was pleased with the author’s writing style. I am interested in reading more of his work in the future. It is easy to recognize that the author is Mexican by his vocabulary and phrase structure but Guillermo Arriaga has a very good command of Spanish which enhances his literature.

I don’t quite have a list of books but I have a few in mind that I hope to read this year. They are:

1) El cojo y el loco- Jaime Bayly
2) El asalto- Reinaldo Arenas (see post #110)
3) Tan cerca de la vida- Santiago Roncagliolo- new release
4) Demasiados h?roes- Laura Restrepo (see post #107)
5) Any new work by Isabel Allende if not I hope to read In?s del alma m?a

However, whatever I do read, I am looking forward to it.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
New release- Isabel Allende- El cuaderno de Maya

29qjz92.jpg

Here is some good news for those who truly enjoy literature and specifically Isabel Allende. Her new book will be released for sale (hardcover only for now) on May 24, 2011. I was waiting for news of a new release since I read her last novel La isla bajo el mar, 2009.

Isabel Allende’s tradition is to start writing a new novel every year on January 8. However, she decided to take a sabbatical last year thus the absence from writing. I only found this out recently after reading this article last week in El Universal.

Isabel Allende is the most popular/ most read author in Latin America (highest number of book sales) and appears to have a very high and dedicated readership. As I mentioned before in a previous thread (maybe even this one), I joined the bandwagon late meaning the first book of hers that I read was from her youth collection four years ago. I liked the style and decided to read one of her most recent novels and became interested going forward. Only a few books from her early years interest me and I think a must read is La Casa de los Esp?ritus, as the author herself classifies it as one of her best work. Thus far what I have read from her collection has been a delight and I am holding myself to completing the youth collection which is three books in total.

I will be starting a new book this week, a Spanish novel this time since I try to alternate by reading one in Spanish then one in French but I have been only reading French novels since September 2010 so I want read a Spanish one and frankly, I do feel like I am missing out. The hardest part was deciding what to read from the massive pile of books I have but I decided on one and hopefully it will be a very quick read time permitting.

Anyway here is the article about El cuaderno de Maya, Isabel's new book. I will be buying it as soon as it’s available.

More to come...

EL UNIVERSAL s?bado 30 de abril de 2011 05:10 PM

Los ?ngeles.- La escritora chilena Isabel Allende anunci? este s?bado que en junio se publicar? su ?ltima novela "'El Cuaderno de Maya', a la que define como "una historia medio policial", seg?n dijo en una presentaci?n en la primera Feria del Libro en espa?ol en Los Angeles (L?aLA).

"'El cuaderno de Maya' es una historia contempor?nea sobre una chica americana nacida en Berkeley (California) y con una abuela chilena, que se mete en unos l?os tremendos y su abuela la ayuda a esconderse en una islita de Chilo? (sur de Chile)", revel? Allende.

La novela "mezcla en la protagonista caracter?sticas de mis tres nietos" precis? la escritora. Y anunci? que el libro ser? publicado primero en Espa?a.

Allende anunci? su pr?xima publicaci?n durante la presentaci?n de la novela "La isla bajo el mar" (2009) -?xito de venta en Am?rica Latina el a?o pasado-, en una conferencia moderada por su colega colombiana, Laura Restrepo, en la Convention Center de Los Angeles.

La autora de "La multitud errante" (2001) alab? a Allende por "haber logrado lo que de verdad es un milagro en materia de libros, y es que sus libros son entra?ables y son objetos cotidianos en la casa de millones de personas".

La escritora chilena, por su parte, cont? que "desde hace 30 a?os" cuando escribi? "La Casa de los Esp?ritus" (1982) ha cumplido el ritual de sentarse cada 8 de enero a escribir un libro aunque este a?o se lo tom? sab?tico, inform? AFP.

Las novelas de Allende -un ?xito en las ventas en espa?ol- han sido traducidas a varios idiomas pese a que su obra fue calificada de "subliteratura" o literatura comercial por varios cr?ticos y escritores.

De hecho, al ser consultada por Restrepo sobre la estructura de su ?ltima novela publicada, Allende le respondi?: "Laura esas son preguntas de cr?tico, de profesor. Uno escribe como puede, yo cuando escribo no pienso para nada ni la estructura ni el s?mbolo ni qu? significa la isla ni qu? significa el mar, sino que quiero contar una historia y la historia es un drama personal y pienso que me pudo haber pasado a m? (...)".

Isabel Allende anuncia pr?xima publicaci?n de "El cuaderno de Maya" - Cultura - EL UNIVERSAL

-MP.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ms Butterfly,,, you are an inspiration.. I usually read fiction only in English but you have prompted me to look on Amazon for any of your listed authors on Kindle. I have ordered Tremblor by Rosa Monter and will start forthwith. It would be great if we could all pile on Amazon to have the Spanish books made available in Kindle since ... well. we really all need to be bi or trilingual in this hemisphere, no?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rosa Montero is a good writer with an excellent command of Spanish

Ms Butterfly,,,

I think you have me mixed up with the poster 'La Mariposa' which means butterfly. My screen name Marianopolita actually does mean something in Spanish.

,,, you are an inspiration.. I usually read fiction only in English but you have prompted me to look on Amazon for any of your listed authors on Kindle. I have ordered Tremblor by Rosa Monter and will start forthwith. It would be great if we could all pile on Amazon to have the Spanish books made available in Kindle since ... well. we really all need to be bi or trilingual in this hemisphere, no?

Thanks MA. I actually think I inspire myself to keep reading. There is so much good literature out there that it’s just a privilege to be able to read some of it. Time is always a factor but not a hindrance. My choice of Spanish literature tends to differ from most since I have not read many of what are considered modern day classics. Although I have read literature from many of the renowned authors in Spanish literature, I tend to be drawn to their books that are not as popular or have relatively no mention at all but still a delight to read. Yes, and to be able to read in three languages with no difficulty gives me a wealth of options not to mention the language benefits.

I have been following a discussion poll/ thread in El Universal which asks people to list their all time favourite book and why. What a difficult task! Those who have responded listed more than one because it is so difficult to choose one book in the sea of many. However, I found the choices very interesting thus far and the popular books mentioned with no surprise are:

Cien a?os de soledad- Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez
El amor en los tiempos del c?lera- Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez
La Casa de los Esp?ritus- Isabel Allende
El Principito- Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry
Las venas abiertas de Am?rica Latina- Eduardo Galeano
Most books by Paulo Coelho
Most books by Carlos Fuentes

Here is the poll:

El Universal

The responses are interesting to read and they gave me more ideas for book reading. I plan to add my response today before they close the thread. I have not joined the Kindle club yet but I am sure someday in the near future I will consider the option.

-MP.

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I think it had been mentioned here already, but I will recommend it again, "La Sombra del Viento" from Carlos Ruiz Zaf?n. I couldn't stopped reading this book once I started reading it. I love this book and I love how Mr. Zaf?n writes. I gave the book to my Argentine friends and he thanks me a lot for the book, he loved it too, and after he read it he gave it to his mother and she loved it too.

Marianopolita

I find "Cien a?os de soledad" too dull to read, I started reading this book and I stopped reading it and started reading another book. I will read it, don't know when, I guess when I finish reading my English books. I think the way Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez writes is kind of boring, I've trying to finish "El Amor en los tiempos de C?lera" for two months now, and I still don't get myself to finish it. I usually finished reading a book within 2 to 3 weeks, but not Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez books for some reason.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I find "Cien a?os de soledad" too dull to read, I started reading this book and I stopped reading it and started reading another book. I will read it, don't know when, I guess when I finish reading my English books. I think the way Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez writes is kind of boring, I've trying to finish "El Amor en los tiempos de C?lera" for two months now, and I still don't get myself to finish it. I usually finished reading a book within 2 to 3 weeks, but not Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez books for some reason.

Garcia Marquez is my son's favorite writer, and he keeps telling me I HAVE to read "Cien a?os de soledad" because "it's the best book in the world". He read it in Spanish, I'd have to do the English version. I did enjoy 'Love in the Time of Cholera' - when the movie came out my son took me to see it. Not bad, but few movies live up to books...

AE

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Garcia Marquez is my son's favorite writer, and he keeps telling me I HAVE to read "Cien a?os de soledad" because "it's the best book in the world". He read it in Spanish, I'd have to do the English version. I did enjoy 'Love in the Time of Cholera' - when the movie came out my son took me to see it. Not bad, but few movies live up to books...

AE

God bless your son for liking his books and how he writes, I had asked my friends from different Latin American countries, and they find his books boring and dull too. I thought it was only me. When I told my Peruvian friend that I was going to buy "Cien a?os de soledad" he told me that it was going to be a very boring dull reading, he was right.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Ezequiel- Response to post #129

La sombra del viento was the choice between two books that I will start reading this week and decided to leave La sombra… once again for later on (hopefully this summer) because of the length of the book. Yes, I mentioned Carlos Ruiz Zaf?n in literature threads in this form. I bought the book when it came out but with the size of my home library now it has to wait in line but I will read it. I bought it based on the editorial summary alone not knowing anything about the author.

I agree with you regarding Gabby in general. That’s why I said in my post above (#128) while most people read an author’s best seller; I read the other books in their collection. Such is the case with Garc?a M?rquez. I read Noticia de un secuestro and found it extraordinary although quite sad but a realistic look at the guerilla warfare problem that has plagued Colombia for over forty years. I tried reading El amor en los tiempos del c?lera and did not find it intriguing but I will attempt to read it again at some point.

I am very much into the contemporary authors of Spanish literature both Latin American and Iberian. It’s a whole new world with writers such as: Carlos Ruiz Zaf?n, Juan Jos? Mill?s, Rosa Montero, Luis Leante, Santiago Roncagliolo, Isabel Allende and so many others.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
El mundo- resumen

1z31iti.jpg

El mundo, by Juan Jos? Mill?s is an interesting journey of the author's childhood in the form of an intimate autobiography. The narrative style gives the reader a sense that the events are taking place as the novel is being read and in some episodes it's as though they just occurred. In my opinion, this style allows for a more vivid account of his childhood. The author is descriptive which enables the reader to get a good feel for the time frame in which it was written.

The author, "Juanjo" is the last of nine children who grew up in an economically difficult time in Spain- Madrid in the 1950's. For a casual read and curiosity about this author, it's worthwhile although there are a few slow parts of the novel/narrative. However, the epilogue alone makes the book worth reading. It's quite profound, and leaves the reader with some pondering thoughts about life. In a nutshell, the book is an example of good writing caliber.

I have spent the last couple of months reading various types of literature and reading material. The novels are past time reading and the rest is mandatory. Now that I have finished two novels the question is always what do I read next. Not for the lack of books, I have enough for a decade at least however, it's the time factor as I like to or try to read a book in maximum a month.

I have Isabel Allende's new novel, El cuaderno de Maya, as mentioned in post#126 and after browsing through it, it does look like a very enticing read in which the author incorporates life in Chile and California, which is a reflection of her life into the story. I just read the two reviews thus far on Amazon and they are good. Therefore, I may read it now although it's a new book in the pile. It's frustrating when I would love to read so many others like La sombra del viento not to mention continue reading the collection of a Haitian author I mentioned and in fact I will read one of his books (I am reading the ones I have in chronological order)- Le cri des oiseaux fous by Dany Laferri?re before getting back to Spanish novels.

-Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Article: Isabel Allende critica al gobierno chileno por la crisis estudiantil

This could quite possibly be the theme of her next book. I could see it happening since Isabel Allende is respected in Chile as a native as well as a Latin American writer. In my opinion, she is not respected just because of her family legacy in the country but because she earned it via her literature and thus far what I have read from her collection is indeed good writing both from a thematic and linguistic perspective. The quality of her Spanish is up there and on par with those who are considered the best of the best of Spanish literature.

I enjoy reading articles like this and was pleased that Isabel spoke out about the state of public education in Chile which according to the article is in a crisis. This is quite surprising to me because Chile is known as one of the emerging Latin American countries of the past decade or so and education has been one of their strong points. A poor public education system will directly affect the future of the country over time and Chile is not one of the Latin American countries that leads the list in having a poor education system although there will always be a segment of the population (in any country) that is deprived.

This is a great article from a great voice meaning someone who has the power to influence change if not vocally then in writing because Isabel Allende's books are the most read in Latin America (especially in South America namely Colombia, Venezuela and Peru.) Therefore, if she were to write a book on this new social ill in Chile it would certainly be a blow to Sebasti?n Pi?era’s government. Inequality really seems to be a growing problem once again and not just in Chile but all over Latin America. It has a direct impact on the future of the country. Per the article, in Chile's case, one has to pay for access to education for the most part (see the last paragraph of the article) therefore, this may be the start of a growing social need in the country.

El Universal

EL UNIVERSAL
mi?rcoles 17 de agosto de 2011 01:20 PM
Santiago.- La escritora chilena Isabel Allende sostuvo hoy que la crisis social y pol?tica que azota el pa?s tiene su origen en la "vergonzosa" desigualdad existente.

"Este pa?s tiene un alto ingreso per capita, pero la distribuci?n es p?sima, vergonzosa", remarc? la novelista, ganadora del Premio Nacional de Literatura, indic? DPA.

Allende, radicada en Estados Unidos, agreg? que para superar la crisis estudiantil chilena "tiene que haber cambios estructurales".

No obstante, estim? que ser? dif?cil avanzar. "Se necesita una profunda reforma (educativa) y no creo que el gobierno este dispuesto", opin?.

Asimismo, sostuvo que "lo que est? pasado en Chile es un reflejo de lo que sucede en el mundo" y que "no solo la juventud chilena est? indignada".

"Mientras no haya cambios estructurales en Chile, va a haber una creciente violencia", agreg? la escritora en gira por su pa?s.

La crisis estudiantil en Chile, que derrumb? a m?nimos hist?ricos el apoyo al gobierno de Sebasti?n Pi?era, suma tres meses de movilizaciones por educaci?n p?blica gratuita y de calidad.

En Chile, gran parte de la educaci?n escolar es de pago, as? como la totalidad de la educaci?n universitaria, con mensualidades incluso de 1.000 d?lares en la formaci?n superior.

-Marianopolita.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It was a pleasant surprise to come across this article in El Universal today and it was a treat to read it as well. Over the past five years I have been reading Isabel Allende's novels (whatever she has released in the past five years none of her older novels as yet except for her children's literature). I am glad that she is not putting her pen down anytime soon because she is a very good writer in my opinion and I have enjoyed all of her books that I have read thus far.

I do plan to read some of her older novels (some of first ones that she published) just to tie some loose ends together as I continue to read her work because many of the characters some of which are her family members are referred to in her novels. It would be nice to understand that aspect better. Thus far I have read (in Spanish):

• Mi pa?s inventado
  • El bosque de los pigmeos
  • La suma de los d?as
  • La isla bajo el mar
  • El cuaderno de Maya- I am reading this novel currently. In my opinion, it?s typical Isabel Allende in the sense that one cannot critique the writing caliber. It's a good enough storyline that takes place in two venues- Chile and the USA. Via the episodes of Maya's turbulent teenage life, we learn about a isolated part of Chile which becomes a pivotal place in the protagonist's story. (See post #126 in this thread)

The novels from the past that I would like to read are:

La casa de los espiritus- needless to say why this one would be good to read. This was her blockbuster novel.

I would also like to read Paula as well as the two other novels in her children?s series.

14bi7sy.jpg

Isabel Allende No Tengo Destino Si No Escribo - Arte Y Entretenimiento - El Universal

One aspect that I have observed is without a doubt her novels are well read in Latin America and especially countries in the region (referring to her native Chile). She is a very popular author in Colombia, Venezuela, Uruguay and Argentina.

Isabel is currently in the process of writing a new book but will not reveal any details about it. I can't wait to find out what it's about.

-MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.