Life in the country side DR

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
very true, HUG. a comforting veneer of innocence, which, when laid bare , reveals all manner of vicious deception, depravity ,and abhorrent behaviors. this is survival mode we are looking at. if you want proof, drag out one of these rural cherubs out of their wooden shacks, bring them to your villa, leave your wallet on the table, then see what happens.

How much did she take from you???? next time place your wallet in the oven and take out what you plan on giving her.

How did it go down??? The woman from the campo told you she love you and want to be with you forever and when you walked out to head to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to see if you were dreaming SHE WAS GONE!!!! right???? With your money.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There must obviously be different sorts of campo. Where I live, in the campo, the people are the kindest, most honest, most sincere I have met in my 14 years of living here. We have no locks on the door, no bars on the windows, the car is never locked and the gate is left open. No one has ever been robbed in this campo, no one in the village has ever been murdered. No there are not all the mod cons, although we do have an indoor kitchen and toilet, most don't. That is not just the campos though. Most Dominican barrios have latrines rather than indoor toilets.
The people may be poor in terms of money, but rich in terms of quality of life which doesn't depend on modern day appliances. Family, sharing, fresh food, hard work and the children have a freedom unknown of in the first world. I have no evidence of child abuse, there is no dengue, no chikungunya, no cholera, no malaria, so I have no idea where all these diseases spoken of come from. Instead it is the life of the Dominican Republic of 60 or so years ago. Obviously it is not everyone who would enjoy it, no international supermarkets, no restaurants, no cinemas, but to lump all the campos together as hotbeds of thievery, disease and child abuse is, IMHO, just plain loco.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How much did she take from you???? next time place your wallet in the oven and take out what you plan on giving her.

How did it go down??? The woman from the campo told you she love you and want to be with you forever and when you walked out to head to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to see if you were dreaming SHE WAS GONE!!!! right???? With your money.

i see that the concept of theoretical examples is lost on you. too much time chasing celebrities to understand this kind of reasoning_

Apr 13, 2011
I felt safe in the campos, not just because I with with family, but mostly because everyone knows everyone else. The only "lock" on the door was a simple latch... and that was only there to keep the door shut.

I also saw of the largest pigs ever, tied to a stake out in a field. I do not know what kind of pig, but they had to have been 4 feet high and very round...
And the fresh fruit, avocados, etc was great...
One time we had a butcher goat that made a great meal!!!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There are different class of campo, obviously. You have block building, TV, internet etc. This is relatively fururistic in terms of many campos.
Campo is thrown around like barrio, when in reality we all mostly live in either or. What we mean when we refer to either is different to the literal meaning.
I agree with something you mention though, that honest, good trusting people really was left behind a few generations ago. Times are changing with the generations, where it will be in another 50 years from now is difficult to say, but I'd guess you have locks on your doors by then.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
i see that the concept of theoretical examples is lost on you. too much time chasing celebrities to understand this kind of reasoning_

OK what about Matilda's post which is the total opposite of your post. I have spent time in the country in places like Costa Rica,Panama, PR, Mexico, and DR and I have NEVER encounter the deceit you speak of.

Now in Panama City, San Jose, San Juan, Mexico City, and Santo Domingo DECEPTION is a way of life in these places.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
OK what about Matilda's post which is the total opposite of your post. I have spent time in the country in places like Costa Rica,Panama, PR, Mexico, and DR and I have NEVER encounter the deceit you speak of.

Now in Panama City, San Jose, San Juan, Mexico City, and Santo Domingo DECEPTION is a way of life in these places.

The problem with you is that you spend an afternoon in campo, therefor have spent considerable time there. You used to spend a couple of months a year in DR, therefor you have lived here. You once waited on a street corner for a bus, therefor used to gangbang. Yet your posting really does speak volumes of contradiction and stinks quite strongly of google.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

and you have never spent time in a real deep campo, either. therefore, you are not soundly positioned to make any comparison. if my comprehension of the thread serves me well, i have seen nobody opinionate that city dwellers are the salt of the earth. the gravamen of the discussion is that despite misconceptions to the contrary, the campo is not some Norman Rockwell fairyland, replete with wondrous , pure spirited souls.

my best friend?s wife will have her disagreements. she comes from a vey poor region behind Altamira, and behind God?s back. one day he decided to put on a spread to feed the poor folks there, if only for a day. he went to Santiago, and bought two goats, and had them skinned and ready to prepare for the pot. he recruited the services of a local woman to do the honours. when the goat was served, my freind thought that the quantity presented appeared to be a bit anaemic. the upshot of the story is that the lady cooked one goat, and clandestinely sold the other...

yeah...the campo. if you want, i have a million more stories liike that one.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i see no mention of having your animals killed.

Wow below the belt or what?? Yes recently two of my dogs were poisoned and killed as they killed a cockerel belonging to a General. Poisoning animals is not something that only happens in the campo. I had not mentioned it on DR1 as I was too upset to talk about it. Malko had their brother who was also poisoned as were more of their brothers and sisters around the country. Rest in Peace Panda and Pandora.

168zu5e.jpg

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
and you have never spent time in a real deep campo, either. therefore, you are not soundly positioned to make any comparison. if my comprehension of the thread serves me well, i have seen nobody opinionate that city dwellers are the salt of the earth. the gravamen of the discussion is that despite misconceptions to the contrary, the campo is not some Norman Rockwell fairyland, replete with wondrous , pure spirited souls.

my best friend?s wife will have her disagreements. she comes from a vey poor region behind Altamira, and behind God?s back. one day he decided to put on a spread to feed the poor folks there, if only for a day. he went to Santiago, and bought two goats, and had them skinned and ready to prepare for the pot. he recruited the services of a local woman to do the honours. when the goat was served, my freind thought that the quantity presented appeared to be a bit anaemic. the upshot of the story is that the lady cooked one goat, and clandestinely sold the other...

yeah...the campo. if you want, i have a million more stories liike that one.

I have a question for you. When was the last time you were out of the DR????

Also have you ever been a part of or involved in a charity organization group?????

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
@ matilda
I had no idea your dogs had been killed, nasty reality of DR living, even more so in Campo than anywhere else. Some things you just can't get away from in DR. Even if you did slightly overcoat the reality of your village, killing others animals in retaliation is horrid and takes horrid people to do such things. Might be sooner rather than later when you might consider that lock on your gate.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have a question for you. When was the last time you were out of the DR????

Also have you ever been a part of or involved in a charity organization group?????

if you can establish relevance, then i will answer. i see nothing in your questions which has any bearing upon life in a Dominican campo. whether or not i come and go every week has scant bearing upon the goings on in San Jose de Ocoa.

the other more salient point is that this is DR1, and we are discussing the machinations within Dominican landscape. what transpires outside of those boundaries is peripheral to the issue, and, quite frankly, off topic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Campesinos are no different that town folks . Some are honest and hard working and some are dishonest and lazy. I know both types. I know a very large family from Paso Bajito. They are intelligent, hard-working but very dishonest people. I wouldn't trust them with anything. They are however very good people when an accident or death happens. Very quick to help out those that need it, but will rob anyone blind. Handsome men and beautiful women, they have suckered many a Dominican that tought they were Smart.
I know others from Manabao ( other side of the mountains from Jarabacoa) - Super people.
What HUG and Gorgon say is true, but what Matilda says is true as well. Both are realities.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
@ matilda
I had no idea your dogs had been killed, nasty reality of DR living, even more so in Campo than anywhere else. Some things you just can't get away from in DR. Even if you did slightly overcoat the reality of your village, killing others animals in retaliation is horrid and takes horrid people to do such things. Might be sooner rather than later when you might consider that lock on your gate.

I honestly don't think I overcoated the reality. The dogs were fenced in the front garden but dug a hole under the fence and escaped. They were killed a couple of miles away as they were off on their happy chicken hunting trip. No one poisoned them in the garden. My cats were poisoned in the garden in the barrio. Poisoning animals as you say is a way of life here and we can only do what we can to make them safe. Unlike some who post on here, I have had the advantage if you want to call it that, of living in a posh villa in a tourist area, swimming pool, security guards all that stuff; a barrio in a Dominican town and now the campo so I have pretty much seen lots of different areas. Having now spent 2 years in this particular campo I stand by what I said. No it is not perfect but I personally am much happier here than in the other places and I certainly feel significantly safer. It is not for everyone, but I think to lump all campos together as bad places is not right. Each to his or her own. One of the great things about this country is that there are so many different places to live, mountains to ocean, fincas to gated communities and each has their pros and cons. To me safety is a big issue, and I have never felt safer and love not having to look outside through bars over the windows. I also love having neighbours I know will have my back if ever I have a problem.

Matilda

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The thread is about displaying life in the campo PERIOD!!! It is not about the DARKSIDE of the campo in DR. Everybody knows their is dark part to every society all across the globe, but the video is NOT about that.

No education, no jobs , no careers, no human development training etc. It does not take a genius to under stand the cause and effect if NONE of these things are visible or common.

BTW It does not make gorgon or HUG intelligent by standing in the middle of a Dominican campo and saying to themselves " I think BAD things happen here"

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
@Matilda
Well its not difficult to feel safer than where you lived before, you got shot for gods sakes, and so that is understandable. Yes, I think more so fhe point here is what definition we use as 'campo', this varies greatly. Like I said earlier we all live in one or the other so the scope for varying opinion is massive. I wouldn't class you or how you live as typical traditional campo living, you might because its in the country, but I wouldn't say your standard of living is poor campo, which is the topic of the thread.