Living in Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Yes you can

Yes you can live in the DR very comfortably on that kind of loot. I have a friend from Orlando living very well in the DR on waaaay less, about $US1000.00. He has no kids and he sent a small SUV over from the States.

My advice is you get as far away from the tourist traps like Boca Chica and Santo Domingo with their 35% hotel and restaurant taxes. My friend lives in a small town just outside of san Pedro de Marcoris he is renting a small place there. He likes it so much that he is in the process of building his own. You also have to learn to say noooooo.

His Chica comes up with new ways and ideas weekly for him to spend money on. He just says NO.

Good luck, I've got 10 years left :( starting to make my bed now!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, $1000 dollars or less is very possible - $3,000 buys quite a lot of luxury - lobster, champagne, fine views, swimming pool servants, upper class restaurants etc. etc. In much of DR there are no heating or cooling bills. Nearly everywhere food is very reasonably priced.
pi2.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
200 dollars a month will buy about 50 lbs of prawns ; or 400 lbs or rice or veg; or many lbs of beans fruit etc. For one person! I suppose to convince you I wouid need to stack up on a table this food for a month.

100 pesos 2.5 dollars buys me a big bag of veg.

Remember many prices are half those in the US!

pi2

Eat your 400 lbs bag of rice while I'll have different things. Wipe your nalga with banana leaves while I'll use toilet paper. Make your ginger root wine while I'll drink good appellation control?e wine. Have your badom mayonaise and ketchup while i'll still buy Hellmans mayonaise and Heinz ketchup. Go on with your stupid vaina while I'll give it to the vaina and won't have to read your stupid answerssssssssssssssss again.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Eat your 400 lbs bag of rice while I'll have different things. Wipe your nalga with banana leaves while I'll use toilet paper. Make your ginger root wine while I'll drink good appellation control?e wine. Have your badom mayonaise and ketchup while i'll still buy Hellmans mayonaise and Heinz ketchup. Go on with your stupid vaina while I'll give it to the vaina and won't have to read your stupid answerssssssssssssssss again.

Finally decided to try out the "ignore" function. Kind of ironic that in another thread he talked about his dishwasher. Highly wasteful, both in energy (unless he can tell us he runs it from a solar panel) and water, and not in-line with what he suggests his life is like and ours should be.

Done feeding the troll, unfortunate for newbies that they'll need to sift around his advice to get to the helpful stuff. But then, that's the way the DR is too, so DR1 is no different.

With reasonable expectations, op will do fine.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP:

Yes, you can have a quite enjoyable retirement/time out on 35k post-taxes per year. The best things you can do to save money would be to

1) learn Spanish, then make a concerted effort to learn "Dominican" Spanish once you're in country;
2) consider living in smaller, less-touristy areas, such as Santiago (vs Santo Domingo) or Las Terrenas (vs. Sosua/Cabarete). Both options provide similar amounts of charm, culture and amenities, less traffic, at a substantially reduced cost-of-living, and you can always travel to see other parts of the country; and
3) remember moderation is the key. Getting a girlfriend (or three) :bunny::bunny::bunny: who is good at and enjoys cooking is much less expensive (and tastier and healthier) than eating out all the time. Having a few girlfriends is cheaper than chasing chicas all over the country all the time.

Do that, and you'll find your money will go quite a long way, though not nearly as far as some think.

To La Rubia,

CONGRATS, and welcome to the ever-growing number of people who have put yannadu/pi2 on "ignore." I find my experience on DR1 has vastly improved as a result. Sabor!

Finally decided to try out the "ignore" function. Kind of ironic that in another thread he talked about his dishwasher. Highly wasteful, both in energy (unless he can tell us he runs it from a solar panel) and water, and not in-line with what he suggests his life is like and ours should be.

Done feeding the troll, unfortunate for newbies that they'll need to sift around his advice to get to the helpful stuff. But then, that's the way the DR is too, so DR1 is no different.

With reasonable expectations, op will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.