Living in the DR and Cynicism

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so basically its down to how many gringos are in an area as to whether the crime gets reported- not actually how much crime is commited

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Originally Posted by Fiesta Mama

the most to the point and as accurate of a statement as i.ve ever read on this web-site.

re-inforces my faith in humanity :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Although not currently a resident, my time spent living in the country for several months several years ago and my continuing attachment to the country via my Dominican husband and our life in both the DR and abroad helps me to understand the OP's question and to voice my opinion on it.

When I lived there, I met a TON of expats with negative attitudes towards the country and a TON of people with positive attitudes. There were major differences between how the two were living their lives. My observations then (and now) are as follows:

1. Those that speak Spanish (and if not at first those that make it a priority to learn) will be much much happier and have more positive experiences than those that don't. There are many reasons for this. First, if you don't speak the native language of the country you are residing in, you will live a somewhat limited existence that revolves around you depending on others who speak the language and can help you in situations where Spanish is required (i.e. with a local mechanic, at the bank, etc.).

I met many people who told me ALL Dominicans are out to screw gringos and those are same people who did not speak Spanish and therefore I saw those same people hanging with mainly other expats in the same situation or hooking up with Dominicans they called "friends" who they used as their right-hand man because those Dominicans "helped" them. They soon learned some of those same Dominicans were hustlers and made their living "helping" those gringos that didn't speak the language get out and about the locals and because the gringo didn't understand what was being said, they didn't always end up with the best deal. Those experiences would of course lead to stories of bad experiences, etc.

Also, those that don't speak the language are much less likely to travel around the country out of fear of being out of their comfort zone. They seek out only services, businesses, friends, etc. that speak English and they are therefore not really able to live a totally free life that you could if you were not limited by your language.

These same people that don't speak the language are also prone to get taken by other expats that feed on people like them and pretend to befriend them only to be using those people for their own personal gain (ie. taking someone to a business because the expat that speaks the language knows the Dominican owner and will likely be getting a kickback for the new business he/she is bringing). When I lived there, I met way more expats I didn't trust than Dominicans and the same still holds true.

2. The more time I saw people spending at bars drinking, the less happy they seemed. Many expats sat around for hours, day after day, reminiscing about their bad experiences. Many were alcoholics. If you choose to surround yourself with negative people in a similar situation instead of trying to improve your situation, it's easy to fall into the habit of being habitually negative about your adopted country and the more stories you hear from the other negative people just seems to verify your own experiences.

3. Those living outside of distinct tourist areas and gated communities and in Dominican neighbourhoods seem to assimilate much much better, have more Dominican friends, be more positive in general and live in the country for more reasons than the nice weather, beautiful people, the beaches, etc.

4. Those expats that are struggling to survive (ie. come to the DR to live the dream but can't really afford to) seem to be much less happy than those that either have businesses there, have retirement savings on which to live on or personal savings, etc. Anyone in any country would be miserable and negative if they were just getting by. They will continue to find negative things to say because they perhaps can't afford to do the things they envisioned or thought they would be doing when moving to the country in the first place.

5. Those married to a Dominican will more likely (if in an established, long-term relationship) be living in the country with more positive v. negative experiences. First of all, they most likely speak the native language out of necessity in order to communicate with their spouse and their spouse's family. They probably have many Dominican friends and have assimilated into the culture and they are obviously living in the country for more reasons than just weather, beaches, etc.

As for whether the negativity of expats on the North Coast v. anywhere else in the country is more prevalent, I think it's likely due to the fact that there are many more expats on the North Coast so of course there will be more with negative experiences (ie. if there are only 500 expats in Santo Domingo and 10% are unhappy, that's much fewer than if there are 5,000 expats on the North Coast and 10% are unhappy.). Those living in Santo Domingo, Santiago, and other areas where fewer tourists and expats are found are also much more likely to speak Spanish and have made friends with the locals. They probably live more independently without having to rely on a network of expats and more living in areas other than the North Coast might work or run business in the country while probably leads to a feeling of satisfaction.

Just to be clear, I am not at all bashing North Coast expats. Just passing on my own observations of why some seem so happy while others not so much.
Excellent post...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think there may be additional sources of cynicism.

-Many people coming here do so with a "holiday" mindset. That attitude can easily last over several vacations.

But at some point the holiday mindset vanishes and reality sets in. Big internal conflict, and that conflict creates some cynicism.

Living here f/t, not as a p/t snowbird resident, even in the middle of a tourist area is NOT a non-stop holiday.

Kinda reminds me of the old Peggy Lee song: "Is that all there is?"

-Some folks come here and refuse to really accept the country as it is. They still try living with baggage where they came from. They expect Dominicans to think and act as they do themselves. But Dominicans don't. So an attitude arises based on the expats inability to understand their new culture and not understanding ~why~ Dominicans won't be like them. And not accepting their new culture.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Some people are just never satisfied and easily get annoyed if things are going not the way they imagined...
Im living on the North Coast and i am really HAPPY. And trying to avoid or shut up people who speak out their complains about dominicans.
The key is to put yourself in the position, background and situation of other person to understand why he/she acts this way.
Nobody and nothing can make us happy or unhappy. Its our own choice...

Reactions: woofsback

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Whereas I would accept that those who sit at bars for most of the day (north coast/south coast or inland) get bored & then - for something to do - then they will get round to moaning about how many things go wrong with their life in 'The Paradise' they once envisaged, I feel that the whole essence of DR1 is to try to bring some form of 'Reality Check' to those who have not yet experienced the rigours of living here.

Many posters on DR1 read posts by people who think coming to live in the DR will be a doddle. Those with experience try to explain otherwise - that it takes teamwork (for a couple) & a load of networking as well as a need to understand that this country has its own way of doing things. Nothing we say or do seems to change this. As posters we try to indicate that it is up to US to integrate & adapt rather than fight the system head on.

Is this being cynical or is it being realistic?

I would contend that much of what is written here is mistaken as cynicism where in fact it is a desire to make the questioner (normally a newbie) see reality. Should that questioner respond in a positive manner of "I am willing to learn, please tell me more", then reality continues in abundance to that questioner. IF however, the questioner comes back with an 'Attitude' & an "I know better than you old fuddy duddies because ......", then they are treated to some examples that are embellished to make the point. THIS may come over as cynicism!!

I DO have my concerns for the country & its future. There are many things I would like to see changed, there are even more things that frustrate the H*ll out of me for 5 minutes or so .......... but I still think the DR is better than most countries, I am still happier here than I ever was in my home country (or other countries that I have visited & lived in) & there are NO plans to move on from here unless civil unrest gets to a level I consider too dangerous to remain in the DR. However, a 'CIVILISED' first world country will not be on my list of possible new homes IF such a decision was ever made.

IF I am ever considered to be cynical about the DR I can assure you I can be three or four times MORE cynical about first world countries!! :surprised ~ Grahame.

Reactions: woofsback

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Whereas I would accept that those who sit at bars for most of the day (north coast/south coast or inland) get bored & then - for something to do - then they will get round to moaning about how many things go wrong with their life in 'The Paradise' they once envisaged, I feel that the whole essence of DR1 is to try to bring some form of 'Reality Check' to those who have not yet experienced the rigours of living here.

Many posters on DR1 read posts by people who think coming to live in the DR will be a doddle. Those with experience try to explain otherwise - that it takes teamwork (for a couple) & a load of networking as well as a need to understand that this country has its own way of doing things. Nothing we say or do seems to change this. As posters we try to indicate that it is up to US to integrate & adapt rather than fight the system head on.

Is this being cynical or is it being realistic?

I would contend that much of what is written here is mistaken as cynicism where in fact it is a desire to make the questioner (normally a newbie) see reality. Should that questioner respond in a positive manner of "I am willing to learn, please tell me more", then reality continues in abundance to that questioner. IF however, the questioner comes back with an 'Attitude' & an "I know better than you old fuddy duddies because ......", then they are treated to some examples that are embellished to make the point. THIS may come over as cynicism!!

I DO have my concerns for the country & its future. There are many things I would like to see changed, there are even more things that frustrate the H*ll out of me for 5 minutes or so .......... but I still think the DR is better than most countries, I am still happier here than I ever was in my home country (or other countries that I have visited & lived in) & there are NO plans to move on from here unless civil unrest gets to a level I consider too dangerous to remain in the DR. However, a 'CIVILISED' first world country will not be on my list of possible new homes IF such a decision was ever made.

IF I am ever considered to be cynical about the DR I can assure you I can be three or four times MORE cynical about first world countries!! :surprised ~ Grahame.

BushBaby I have never found any of your posts to be cynical and I always find the information and experiences you share to be most helpful!

There is a big difference between the information you provide to newbies or those that may have lived in the country for several years in order to assist in some way to let people know what the reality of the country is and the posts provided by some that are just downright cynical and degrading to the country and it's people.

I cannot speak for the OP but I think he was referring to posts by people who consistently say Dominicans are no gooders who will screw you, and about people that consistently post about their bad experiences with locals or local establishments, or road problems or police problems, etc. and blame it on the country and the lack of education, etc. of the people. Those types of posts make one wonder why the heck the person is living in the Dominican Republic in the first place if it's so darn bad!

I have never ever thought for one moment that you Lambada were not the best type of expats to be living in the DR and the country is lucky to have people like the two of you! I read Lambada's book and I was impressed with all the things you both have done to understand the country and it's people and to integrate to the best degree and make it your new home.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I cannot speak for the OP but I think he was referring to posts by people who consistently say Dominicans are no gooders who will screw you, and about people that consistently post about their bad experiences with locals or local establishments, or road problems or police problems, etc. and blame it on the country and the lack of education, etc. of the people. Those types of posts make one wonder why the heck the person is living in the Dominican Republic in the first place if it's so darn bad!
Good points.

I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular. Just pointing out a trend I see and pondering "why?"

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Memories From Afar

Although not currently a resident, my time spent living in the country for several months several years ago

More or less on a holiday... :tired:
And: Several years ago life here was much different ...

Many people coming here do so with a "holiday" mindset. That attitude can easily last over several vacations.
FM's mindset then?

donP

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Those types of posts make one wonder why the heck the person is living in the Dominican Republic in the first place if it's so darn bad!

wouldnt you say its better to tell others if you have a bad experience with someone, other wise they will have an endless new supply of people to do the same to

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Tip of a Dung Heap

so basically its down to how many gringos are in an area as to whether the crime gets reported- not actually how much crime is commited

The bigger the town / city the more crime gets reported in the papers because that's were the journalists and TV stations are.

Police try to downplay / hide crimes (whenever possible) especially in touristy places. The smaller the place is the more success they have in doing so.

I know of numerous murders, house invasions and substantial robberies, etc. which never made it to the press.

Whatever is reported on DR1 is very little of all that (because... well you know :cheeky: )

donP

Reactions: waytogo

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Grumblers

Those types of posts make one wonder why the heck the person is living in the Dominican Republic in the first place if it's so darn bad!

Maybe you wonder because you do not live here? ;)

And then:
A person's decision to live here is nobody else's business.
Whoever lives here (and may even pay taxes!) has the right to be as grumpy as any Dominican (who may even not pay taxes).

donP

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
More or less on a holiday... :tired:
And: Several years ago life here was much different ...

FM's mindset then?

donP

Call it what you want but I probably know more about how the DR works than many who live there "full-time". My experience is not based on a few visits to the country. I am married to a Dominican, we own property there, we are in the country often, we speak to family on a daily basis and have more than a vested interest in the country. I certainly don't need to justify my views - no one else has had to. Perhaps my post hit a little close to home for some ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Call it what you want but I probably know more about how the DR works than many who live there "full-time". My experience is not based on a few visits to the country. I am married to a Dominican, we own property there, we are in the country often, we speak to family on a daily basis and have more than a vested interest in the country. I certainly don't need to justify my views - no one else has had to. Perhaps my post hit a little close to home for some ;)

Good answer. I don't live in the DR, YET, but visit every year and my wife has daily contact because of her school. Thanks to computers and Magic Jack, she is up to date on all that is going on, whether it be local, countrywide, political, financial...etc.

Reactions: drloca

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Whoever lives here (and may even pay taxes!) has the right to be as grumpy as any Dominican (who may even not pay taxes).

donP

Yes, just like in most countries where the "haves" are supporting the "have nots" ...it sucks to pay taxes when a large percentage of people arent, feel that pain everyday:ermm:. This is not endemic to DR.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Yes, just like in most countries where the "haves" are supporting the "have nots" ...it sucks to pay taxes when a large percentage of people arent, feel that pain everyday:ermm:. This is not endemic to DR.

It certainly isn't - here in the UK us "haves" are certainly feeling the pain. Hence the change of government next month! :ermm:

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is a big difference between the information you provide to newbies or those that may have lived in the country for several years in order to assist in some way to let people know what the reality of the country is and the posts provided by some that are just downright cynical and degrading to the country and it's people.

I cannot speak for the OP but I think he was referring to posts by people who consistently say Dominicans are no gooders who will screw you, and about people that consistently post about their bad experiences with locals or local establishments, or road problems or police problems, etc. and blame it on the country and the lack of education, etc. of the people.

Thank you for your kind words Fiesta Mama. We have a classic example of what you said above and what I said here

It is further compounded in some cases by having insufficient grasp of the language to know or understand what is going on around them. That is quite a powerless position to be in. There is something which can be done about it, of course, but that requires individual motivation and effort. Often what I see in posts here is the outward manifestation of that powerlessness.

In a thread in Living

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/102477-country-so-screwed-up.html

Again, I don't know if that fits Cobraboy's definition of cynicism or not. But it does add another dimension to the cynicism being geographical. I'm cross linking because there is so much learning material (for those who can see it) and those who want to learn are more likely to look for a thread about Living in the DR than one called This Country is so Screwed Up :cheeky:. And the classic example is of what Fiesta Mama posts

1. Those that speak Spanish (and if not at first those that make it a priority to learn) will be much much happier and have more positive experiences than those that don't.

So the cynicism can be seen to come from having to rely on others, feeling therefore at the mercy of others, feeling powerless, not knowing what to do about it (although it's fairly obvious), dealing with their own problems not in a responsible way but in a way which blames others but not oneself. And any 'others' will do as far as blaming is concerned.

All of these things are a matter of choice. We expats do have the ultimate decision in how we choose to live our lives. I am reminded of those many Dominican expats who live in the US or elsewhere, face huge challenges, who don't moan and complain but just get on with it.

I think those of us who are expats in the DR could learn a lot from Dominicans who have expatriated.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i did not read more than a dozen of the answers on this thread, so i answer just to the theme as a whole like started,not to specific answers afterwards, a great idea of a thread Robert, btw, interesting theme tho.

from my point of view on the north coast where i spent my own just less than 6 months in a row and that been 15 years ago, the expats live in their own closed community, they eat their german weisswurst, wiener schnitzel, drink german imported beer, some manage to have once in a while a local chic, none speaks real spanish.
hey, that's not meant as any kind of offence.
that is my personal opinion about my own experienced point of view about Puerto Plata and Sosua a decade and a half ago, i am myself German and i life since 15 years in punta cana now.
a few years ago i've been back up there on the north together with a friend who lives in punta cana since over 10 years now, like a lil revival weekend, we spent 5 days up there, but what he did and dragged me in been the exactly """going to the schnitzel and weisswusrt places""" and aside of meeting 2-3 guys i knew from long years ago who still been working and living there i found the whole 'revival trip' as a waste of time and money on Gas to go there.
in Punta Cana the years ago situation been different, you had to extremely different ways to live down here.
** 1st been the typical one and very similar to the one i experienced on the north coast, the one where for example a tourrep or newbie at a diving center comes down here, meets only all the ''cool???''' guys of his own nationality/or at least foreign nationality at the bars and clubs where he would within a short time not be able to pay his drinks due his future not enough salary as a dive assistance to do so, where they meet all those hot chics which of course waited their whole life just for that specific big guy to finally show up, none of them speaks any spanish after many years of course, most anyways did not survive many years, they come and go each month, they life within their own foreigner/Expats made fences and trap themselves within those borders, they can live here 20 years and will not understand any real word even if they would have learned some phrases of spanish, many do not even manage that lil thingy.
** and the 2nd part down here is the smaller crowd which moves right away in with the locals, with real dominican people the above crowd doesn't even know about their existence, some even meet a real dominican female/male and start to live together, doesn't matter the guy or Gal works for a diving school, a touroperator or runs his/her own business, lives in a wooden hut or in a nice Condo within a residence, and those are the maybe 2-5 percent of the expats who get to know the dominican republic. the ones who live the islandlife with the local family on daily bases, again, it doesn't matter if such happens on a low society level or on a high economy level with unlimited bucks available.

for sure the latter of both is the small group who learns automatically the language of this country, which is the first step of all to get in touch with locality, there is absolute no way around that one. they are the ones i would by my own understanding name Expats, b/c they expatriated themselves from their country of origin and Integrated themselves into the community of a new country, their new choosen residence.

heck,
if i read something about somebody who lives since very long years down here and still is not able to really understand his wife's explanations about a publically by speaker trucks announced advice about a power outing in his area planned and officially announced by the apropriate guys,
darn,
then i really think for MYSELF "what the heck been that guy communicating the last 15 years with his native Wife???", could he ever explain what kinda food he likes?, how he wanna get his pasta or breakfast eggs?, could he ever manage to find out how she would like to live with him? etc etc etc
that's an example of what i do not name an real Expat,
personally i do not accept at leats 80 percent of the so self named Expats as real expats. i name them just long term visitors who will def never ever understand any of the country or it's original people or their needs/likings/way of life, not in a hundred years. they are in my eyes the ones who will everywhere right away always be named just 'the gringo' where ever on any beautiful countryside they may visit in what ever company.

Mike