Local Government?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Rick - Sorry to hear that your laid up. To continue (when you can) -

Last month in Sosua, a local road in Villas Ana Maria was connected to the main road and some new traffic lights were installed - both very welcome improvements. I assume that the proper department of the Ayuntamiento of Puerto Plata made the decision and provided for these things in the budget. That's the level of local government I'd like to know more about.

My significant other is Dominican, and is friendly with some police officials and Fiscals. Occasionally she can call them and get help (or a prompt response) with a problem. But I feel kind of helpless, and if i am going to live there full time I'd like to feel enfranchised. When I see these improvement being made I feel like there is real hope for the country - that not every dollar is stolen by the politicians.

Do you think citizens are allowed input in this process beyond just participating in the election? And to raise money for campaigning and curry favor among the voters, do the elected officials meet with community groups and try to get funds directed to filling their needs? Or does the new national party just sweep in it's own group on the local level as well? - D

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rick - now you are making me laugh too.

In response - your understanding compared to my understanding it huge. But I understand that your understanding is not truly understood in that as you understand it you really don't understand it all.

Now I understand! :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!
WHAT A MOUTHFUL OF "UNDERSTANDING"

Deep it up and you'll have me rolling on thefloor.

Texas Bill

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As referenced in my post #2, the elected officials of the Ayuntamiento take office and usually fire everyone that held a job in that entity. They hold on to those that may be friends of someone the newbie owes a favor to. As a general rule they will hire people to fulfill those jobs that need filling and create jobs (botellas) for others if they have the ability to do such. This is the reason you will find so many members of an extended family usually working in the same entity and also the reason you will find people employed in an office that have no ability to read or write. I am not saying that this is a wide spread problem, though it might be, but as I have witnessed it myself I know it happens.

Almost all of this information I am passing on to the board is the way it is done here in El Seibo but I am of the opinion that almost everything I pass on is how it is done in other municipalities throughout the DR also.

The Ayuntamiento holds a monthly meeting which is open to the public. They will listen to that which the public has to offer but they are under no obligation to act on that which may come up in discussions.

El Seibo is a small town made up of 14 different barrios. There have been people that have suggested that each barrio have a central representative who would have the obligation of forming barrio meetings as a way to get a feel for what a barrio may want or need from the Ayuntamiento and to present same at their monthly meetings. I have been hearing this now for the last 4 years and it still hasn?t happened yet.

The elected individuals in the Ayuntamiento are of the upper-class and as such you will very rarely find them in the Ayuntamiento but rather at their house or off in the capital or such. They are usually difficult to contact unless you happen to be a friend that has a cell phone number. Once you corner them they are usually very open with the public as they do know that it was the vote that got them into office.

It has been my experience that the towns work basically as everything else here when it comes to politics. The barrios that contain the upper and middle classes will usually have water two times a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. They will usually have trash pick-up twice a week. The barrio I live in happens to be one of the poorest in town and because of that we may get water once a week and trash pick-up once every two weeks. As I live at the top of a hill that happens to be the highest point in town means that when there is water it only reaches half way up the hill which requires transporting the water by hand.

Earlier this week there was a scheduled gathering in front of INAPA (the water division) to voice concerns on the lack of water to certain sections of town which turned out about 300 people. My wife was the only person from my barrio to attend. Sound strange? When the people transport water by hand here in my barrio 95% of the transporters are female and range between the ages of 5 to 80.

LF came to our town on 15 April of last year and promised new roads for us and within 3 months we had 80% of our roads paved and/or repaved. Before this was done we only had about 40% of our roads paved. The money for this was supplied by the state separate from that which is supplied each month to the Ayuntamiento.

El Seibo is a very small town and I can?t imagine what they do or will do with the 9.5 million pesos that was given to them. I do know that for such a small town we have over 600 employed workers for the Ayuntamiento. As the law states that only 25% can go to payroll, 35% for services and 40% for infrastructure this would equate to 2.375, 3.325 and 3.8 million pesos respectively. Using the figure of 2,375,000 pesos divided by 600 workers would equate to 3,958.33 pesos per worker per month. I don?t think soooo!!!! On top of that they are to set aside enough monies each month to have sufficient funds to pay the 13th paycheck in December.

As I stated previously the expenditures and purchases here in El Seibo are not available to the public.

I also wish to add for your information that the Civil Service Act here has a loophole that permits civil servants to hold parallel jobs in the private sector.

Rick

I just found out that all checks issued are in fact machine, (computer??), generated for what that may be worth.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Rick - Thanks for you enlightening post. Just a few more questions for now.

- Is a "barrio" an official designation? If so it seems strange that each barrio would not have a representative.

- Does the law require the expenditures and budget to be available to the public and the law not adhered to, or is there in fact no legal transparency?

- Do you think that attendance at a monthly meeting by private citizens is welcome at the monthly meetings?

- D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danny,

Barrios are nothing more then a sectioning off of a town. It would be similar to the boroughs of New York city but on a much, much, much smaller scale. The 14 barrios of El Seybo just represent different sections of the town of El Seibo. Their designation can give a person an idea as to what portion of a town is being mentioned and therefore a reference point. These barrios can also be broken down into sub-sections. As an example I live in the barrio Ginandiana of El Seibo. As this is one of the first barrios of this town it is rather large. Many years ago, about 60, a couple of people climbed the hill in Ginandiana and settled on it. They also named it Loma de Chivo but as it is in what was determined to be Ginandiana barrio it became a sub-section of that barrio and that is where I live. Different classes of the people as the original settlers of a town set up shop in different areas and because of that you usually find the rich living in the same barrio together. This is usually true for the middle class and the poor. I don?t think you will find much of a mixture of all classes in all barrios but I could be wrong.If you were to come to El Seibo you could ask a motocouncha to take you to Giandiana or Loma de Chivo and once in either just ask for the house of the American. As this is such a small town you could stop anywhere in town and ask to be taken to where the crazy American lives. All will net the same results.

Most people here in El Seibo have no idea as to the names of all the streets. This is partially due to hardly any names being posted. I live on calle 5 which is about a mile long but most people in town would have no idea as to where it?s at without the designation of barrio Ginandiana. Because of that I use the barrio in all correspondence and place it between the street number ? house number and the name of the town.

Other towns here may well have active representation of their barrios in the dealings with the Ayuntamiento but El Seibo doesn?t.

The law 19-97 does in fact state that the Ayuntamientos must make public their financial dealings to include wages paid. I made reference earlier as to how Higuey does in fact do this by posting same on a bulletin board in their town. El Seybo does not, I repeat, does not let the public know anything about their financial dealings and will not tell anyone that asks. Direct violation of the law???? You bet your sweet bibpy!!!!!

When the Sindico, Presidente de Ayuntamiento and Regidores have determined to spend Money on a Project they are required by law to inform the general public. They use these meetings to do such and therefore enjoy that the public takes part in their meetings. If they are spending money supplied by the government to make improvements to the town they will blow their bugles in any way possible as they always have the thought that it was the public that elected them into office and they would like to get reelected in four years.

Rick

Need more info??????????????????

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
That's enough for now. I'm going to find out where and when our Ayuntamiento meets next and take a peek at the proceedings. I'm also going to see if the budget is made public.

Rick, I couldn't ask for a better primer on local government. Many thanks. - D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danny,

I think you will find that there are weekly or at least monthly meetings. I would imagine they are monthly more then likely.

I would imagine you are familiar as to what sections of your town are poor, middle-class and where the rich live. Just for the heck of it I think you should check out the different sections and determine if they all receive the same services the same number of times daily or weekly etc.

Good luck on your search for understanding and the truth. I would be very interested in knowing what you discover. Please keep us informed.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
For those that may be interested I came across some government information that I have always been unable to access before and some that I have known about.

Here is the main web site for the Senado.

Here is the main web page for the C?mara de Diputados.

Here is the email addresses of the Deputies but I?ve never been able to get an answer from any of them.

At these sites you can see what bills ar presently before each house, when they have been in session and a number of other things that were not available before.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
After going through Ley 3455, which is what the Ayintamientos must use as guide lines, I came across the following information.

The Ayuntamientos will hold a meeting at least twice a month but usually weekly.

Each Ayuntamiento will have at least 5 Regidores.

The position of president of the Ayuntamiento is held by a Regidor.

The position of Vice President is held by one Regidor.

The controlling power of the Ayuntamiento is held by the Sindico.

Therefore;

For ANYTHING to be done by an Ayuntamiento there needs to be at least a 51% approval vote from the voting authorities. The Sindico has one vote and each Regidor has one vote.

Here in El Seybo we have 5 Regidores and 1 Sindico which equates to 6 votes. A vote of 3 for and 3 against will get NOTHING passed therefore we need 4 people voting the same to get anything passed here.

Speaking of El Seybo again we have a Sindico who is PLD, 2 Regidores PLD, 2 Regidores PRSC and 1 Regidor PRD. As can be seen no party has a majority and therefore wheeling and dealing are always being done.

Using El Seybo as a hypothetical example let us say that the authorities determined that they would hire 400 people to fill slots and botells. The ruling 'Sindico' here would then say, "Okay we will hire 400 workers and I'll pick 200 of them and the PRSC can hire 100 and the PRD can hire 100". Everybody says "sure" and life goes on.

El Seybo has well over 600 employees and the majority of them live in one barrio here, belong to the same political party and a very large part of them are related.

That is how politics work here.

Rick

Ley 3455 says that the Regidores will work for free but as they are allowed to write their own laws in addition to Ley 3455 they have allowed themselves to receive a monthly payment of 40,000 pesos each and they draw a percentage of any public works that get approved.

And life goes on......................

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I have this link that was submitted by the Office of the Attorney General of the Dominican Republic. It has some interesting reading in it.

I wish to thank Vince 1956 for bringing this link to my attention.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Corporanr,
Your answer;

Per Article 22 of the Dominican constitution;
?P?rrafo.- Los naturalizados no podr?n ser elegidos Senadores sino diez a?os despu?s de haber adquirido la nacionalidad, y siempre que hubieren residido dentro de la jurisdicci?n que los elija durante los cinco a?os que precedan a su elecci?n.?

Article 25;
?P?rrafo.- Los naturalizados no podr?n ser elegidos Diputados sino diez a?os despu?s de haber adquirido la nacionalidad y siempre que hubieren residido dentro de la jurisdicci?n que los elija durante los cinco a?os que precedan a su elecci?n.?

Article 50; (To be President of the DR)
?Ser dominicano de nacimiento u origen.?

Article 51;
?Para ser Vicepresidente de la Rep?blica se requieren las mismas condiciones que para ser Presidente.?

Article 61;
?Para ser Secretario o Subsecretario de Estado se requiere ser dominicano en el pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos y haber cumplido la edad de 25 a?os.?
?P?rrafo.- Los naturalizados no podr?n ser Secretarios ni Subsecretarios de Estado sino diez a?os despu?s de haber adquirido la nacionalidad.?

Article 65 ? ?Para ser Juez de la Suprema Corte de Justicia se requiere:?
1. ?Ser dominicano por nacimiento u origen y tener m?s de 35 a?os de edad.?

Article 66;
?Para ser Procurador General de la Rep?blica se requieren las mismas condiciones que para ser Juez de la Suprema Corte de Justicia.?

Article 69 ? ?Para ser juez de una Corte de Apelaci?n se requiere:?
1.?Ser dominicano.?

Article 72;
?P?rrafo.- Para ser Presidente o Juez del Tribunal Superior de Tierras se requieren las mismas condiciones que para ser Juez de una Corte de Apelaci?n, y para desempe?ar el cargo de Juez de Jurisdicci?n Original, las mismas condiciones que para ser Juez de Primera Instancia.?

Article 74;
?Para ser Juez de Primera Instancia se requiere ser dominicano, hallarse en el pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos, ser licenciado o doctor en Derecho, y haber ejercido la profesi?n de abogado durante dos a?os o haber desempe?ado por igual tiempo las funciones de Juez de Paz o de Fiscalizador?

Article 75;
?Para ser Procurador Fiscal o Juez de Instrucci?n se requieren las mismas condiciones exigidas para ser Juez de Primera Instancia.?

Article 77;
?Para ser Juez de Paz o Fiscalizador o Suplente de uno u otro, se requiere ser dominicano, ser abogado y estar en el pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos. Tendr?n las atribuciones que determine la ley.?

Article 81;
?Para ser miembro de la C?mara de Cuentas se requiere ser dominicano en el pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos, haber cumplido la edad de 25 a?os y ser doctor o licenciado en Derecho, licenciado en Finanzas, o Contador P?blico Autorizado. La ley determinar? las dem?s condiciones para ser miembro de dicho organismo.?

?TITULO VIII - DEL DISTRITO NACIONAL Y DE LOS MUNICIPIOS?
Article 84;
?La ley determinar? las condiciones para ejercer los cargos indicados en los Art?culos 82 y 83. Los extranjeros mayores de edad podr?n desempe?ar dichos cargos en las condiciones que prescriba la ley, siempre que tengan residencia de m?s de 10 a?os en la jurisdicci?n correspondiente.?

Article 86;
?P?rrafo.- Para ser Gobernador se requiere ser dominicano, mayor de veinticinco a?os de edad y estar en el pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos.?

Hope this helps.

Rick

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
I have this link that was submitted by the Office of the Attorney General of the Dominican Republic. It has some interesting reading in it.

I wish to thank Vince 1956 for bringing this link to my attention.

Rick
no problem :bunny: also sent to nals but nothing, to do with polls ha ha