Looking for an inexpensive used car

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My friend is looking for a smallish used car that is in good condition but doesn't cost the earth. She has a budget of 500,000 pesos which I know many people will say isn't enough to buy anything any good. And the problem is that most cars owned by Dominicans in that price range will have had minimal maintenance. So, I am hoping that somebody on here may have something suitable they are looking to sell. We will travel anywhere in the country for the right car.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
My friend is looking for a smallish used car that is in good condition but doesn't cost the earth. She has a budget of 500,000 pesos which I know many people will say isn't enough to buy anything any good. And the problem is that most cars owned by Dominicans in that price range will have had minimal maintenance. So, I am hoping that somebody on here may have something suitable they are looking to sell. We will travel anywhere in the country for the right car.
supercarros.com.do
...for 500,000 you can get a decent car. Should not be any problem.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
supercarros.com.do
...for 500,000 you can get a decent car. Should not be any problem.
Yep. Just went through that. Tons of available options. You may want to try searching by your favorite brand first.

Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thanks for all the advice, which I appreciate.

Supercarros seems to be dominated by dealers and I always find the prices over-expensive, but yes, worth a look.

I have dealt with Mike "Gorgon" Logan before and I know he provides a good service and apart from that he's a good guy, which helps. I know he struggles to find anything good in the price range I'm look at, so finding a Versa was a bit of luck. However, as you have reminded me about him I'll get in touch, just in case he can come up with a winner.

I know that my hope of finding a gringo-owned and properly maintained car is a stretch, but I'll keep hoping!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe try all the different Everything Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, etc. on Facebook. There are gringos on there selling cars from time to time. Not all Dominicans trash their cars. Some do maintain them and keep them spotless. You should easily be able to get a decent used car for 500K.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
“I know that my hope of finding a gringo-owned and properly maintained car is a stretch, but I'll keep hoping”
When that foreigner bought it from a person, Dominican or not, that didnt the maitenance necessary the seller being a gringo doesnt mean nothing.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for all the advice, which I appreciate.

Supercarros seems to be dominated by dealers and I always find the prices over-expensive, but yes, worth a look.

I have dealt with Mike "Gorgon" Logan before and I know he provides a good service and apart from that he's a good guy, which helps. I know he struggles to find anything good in the price range I'm look at, so finding a Versa was a bit of luck. However, as you have reminded me about him I'll get in touch, just in case he can come up with a winner.

I know that my hope of finding a gringo-owned and properly maintained car is a stretch, but I'll keep hoping!
Give Facebook marketplace a try and see what pops up. The good thing is you can narrow down your prospects by value range, area, etc.

Reactions: drstock

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you want a good, economical, used car, but a Toyota or a Honda. I've had good luck with almost all the used cars I've ever bought. You have to know how to check one out though.

Reactions: drstock and Fulano2

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
You have to know how to check one out though.

Exactly . You pay for what you don't know in the DR ...

Buying and owning a used here can be a pain...yet prove invaluable...if you have the time and patience to fix and renovate said car to your desired standards.

Nothing quite like spending a Sunday afternoon ....at home ....with a toolbox....imported parts....a cold drink....instruction manuals....and YouTube videos...attempting to repair or enhance something or the other...... and hearing the kids tell their mama ..." Papi has killed the car , again" 😬😬😁

Some banks used to offer repo'd cars ...not sure if they still do ...the quality maybe much better.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm not sure how the pricing has evolved during the recent years, but we purchased our vehicle in 2018 and our budget was less than yours and we got a perfectly nice vehicle. Worth pointing out would be though, that we purchased the vehicle from someone we knew and prior to us, it had only been owned by expats... While it was a bit older, it was in a perfect condition for us... Over the years, I have seen quite a few vehicles for sale by members of DR1 and purchasing one of those would kind of give me more peace of mind than just going to an agency...

Back in 2010, when I was working in the capital, the company I worked for purchased a vehicle for me for me to use. They used a mechanic to evaluate possible candidates (I had to find them and then they checked the vehicle)... At that time, I could not believe the things he found out of perfectly good looking vehicles, so definitely need to be careful here...

There was this member on this forum (the gorgon, I believe?), who helped many in the selection and purchase process. Not sure if this member is still here but could be worth checking as well...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Nothing quite like spending a Sunday afternoon ....at home ....with a toolbox....imported parts....a cold drink....instruction manuals....and YouTube videos...attempting to repair or enhance something or the other......
That sounds exactly like many of my weekends...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
if you're a good mechanic and know cars or Motorhead you can find a needle in a haystack here

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly . You pay for what you don't know in the DR ...

Buying and owning a used here can be a pain...yet prove invaluable...if you have the time and patience to fix and renovate said car to your desired standards.

Nothing quite like spending a Sunday afternoon ....at home ....with a toolbox....imported parts....a cold drink....instruction manuals....and YouTube videos...attempting to repair or enhance something or the other...... and hearing the kids tell their mama ..." Papi has killed the car , again" 😬😬😁

Some banks used to offer repo'd cars ...not sure if they still do ...the quality maybe much better.
If you have the money to buy a new car - go for it! The OP is looking for a used car though and I think Toyotas and Hondas are the best bet in that case. Mechanics are very cheap here compared to the US. I don't waste my time on repairs unless it's something simple like replacing the windshield wipers.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you have the money to buy a new car - go for it! The OP is looking for a used car though and I think Toyotas and Hondas are the best bet in that case. Mechanics are very cheap here compared to the US. I don't waste my time on repairs unless it's something simple like replacing the windshield wipers.
I agree with you 50%. Yes, mechanics are very cheap here but there's a reason. They generally eff shit up more than they fix shit.

Reactions: Kricke87