Lost property title

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Thank you so much. I will have my wife look it over when she comes home from work since I can not figure out how to translate this file. We now have the builder of our house looking into it, so I am starting to feel a little relieved. When we figure this out and get a copy of our title, I will post it.

Don't post a photo of your title anywhere public, that would be dangerous. Only let people see it on a "need to know" basis

Reactions: Gregor

Gregor

Jul 27, 2018
Don't post a photo of your title anywhere public, that would be dangerous. Only let people see it on a "need to know" basis
Ok, thank you. I Just got a registration of title for my property an everything looks good. Still working on getting the title. My friend did ask me if I ever picked it up from the title office when I purchased the house and to that, I am not sure.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
Purchased a property in Juan Dolio back in 2009. I want to put the property up for sale, but can not find the title. I do have the contract, taxes paid and request for the title certified at closing. I am wondering what I would have to do to get a copy of my properties title. I live in the US and before I make a trip back to the DR to resolve this, I would like to see what I need to do first. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I would first go to the corresponding Registro de Titulos and see if the property is actually on your name. Which we hope! If so, then you can get a copy from Registro de Titulos for $5000 pesos. You fill out a request form, + a sworn statement as to the circumstances why u lost it, etc. (before a notary - so that s another charge of about $3000 pesos), a ad in a newspaper and after a month or two your copy should be ready...

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
I don't know why so many people always suggest to hire a lawyer for things like this. You can do most legal things in DR without a lawyer, even if your Spanish is limited. I don't remember when I needed to use a lawyer last time, 10 years ago maybe? or 15 years ago?

If you lost any document issued in DR, you have to go to the office where it was issued and ask what exactly is needed to reissue it. Keep in mind that what's needed today maybe not exactly what was needed a year or two ago, or the fees have changed, etc. So, if you live in US now, you better just call that office responsible for your type of document (Registro de Titulos in your case) and ask them what exactly is needed now for that and ask for all details (how long, how much, the list of documents required, etc). In general, it will be what Winkeladvocat described in the post above, so just call them and ask is it still like that or something has changed. Then you will know how to plan your trip to DR for that and what to expect.

Reactions: Winkeladvocat

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know why so many people always suggest to hire a lawyer for things like this. You can do most legal things in DR without a lawyer, even if your Spanish is limited. I don't remember when I needed to use a lawyer last time, 10 years ago maybe? or 15 years ago?

If you lost any document issued in DR, you have to go to the office where it was issued and ask what exactly is needed to reissue it. Keep in mind that what's needed today maybe not exactly what was needed a year or two ago, or the fees have changed, etc. So, if you live in US now, you better just call that office responsible for your type of document (Registro de Titulos in your case) and ask them what exactly is needed now for that and ask for all details (how long, how much, the list of documents required, etc). In general, it will be what Winkeladvocat described in the post above, so just call them and ask is it still like that or something has changed. Then you will know how to plan your trip to DR for that and what to expect.
Keep in mind that whether you are referring to a lost title or other things in this country, Remember to bring a copy of not only your current passport, but the original passport that you used when you got the title or opened an account, sometimes they want both.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Keep in mind that whether you are referring to a lost title or other things in this country, Remember to bring a copy of not only your current passport, but the original passport that you used when you got the title or opened an account, sometimes they want both.

Good point. I carry old passports with me because one of them is on our title/deslinde, and another is on our bank account. Mr AE normally does our withdrawals, but can you imagine me trying to get money in case of an emergency without that old passport? One of these days I’ll try to update it, but nothing is easy in banks.

Reactions: reilleyp

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Good point, but it all depends on what exact document is lost and how it was issued, using passport number, cedula number or what. For example, if a foreigner who does not have cedula, buys a car, DGII doesn't put passport number in the matricula (car ownership title). Instead of that, they issue RNC number for that person and put that RNC number in the matricula. And somewhere in their database they have a file that that RNC corresponds to that person with that passport number. What if that person has another passport now? Good question, they might have a procedure to prove that you is you, but once again, the best way to know it is to call them directly and ask.

All DR government offices are pretty good with answering questions when you call them on the phone. If you don't understand something, don't be shy to ask again and again. They will answer until you understand.

Reactions: reilleyp

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's been a year since you posted about your property title concerns, and I hope you've made progress since then. If you're still in need of assistance, reaching out to legal professionals or the local land registry office in Juan Dolio could still be a viable option.
He mentioned in post #23 that he obtained his title. Good advice, nonetheless.