Manipulation of Exchange Rate...

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
hugoke01 said:
I liked your explanation which is indeed a great explanation on how currencies exchanges are determined ..
The real world is somewhat different ..
a) The theory of offer and demand is totally correct in a floating system but there are other factors playing " The speculation factor" ... Every day billions of USD /Euros /Yens etc. are bought and sold by analysts (looking at inflation , economic and political stability , public debt etc )but also based on speculation for short term gains . The speed this is done with, makes it impossible to have a physical stock currency exchange market..it's all computerized (Swift system ) .
Furthermore although the system is floating when a currency is under pressure Central Banks normally will intervene ..

b)Psychological factors have their impact as well ..the Lewinsky case , Changing of presidents of the FMI or the European Bank make rates fluctuate as well ..a.o.

Nal, if I'm wrong just feel free to correct me ..

I have a question for you :

What determines the exchange rate US$ versus Dominican Peso today ? Does this not require a continuous intervention of the Central Bank ( with great risks involved for the banking system and the people in the DR )

Many thanks

About expeculation you are correct. The volume of the Spot Currency Exchange System or Forex is actually 1.5 to 1.9 trillion dollars a day. Central Bank intervention is very costly and continuous intervention would totally ruin any economic system.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Riu said:
About expeculation you are correct. The volume of the Spot Currency Exchange System or Forex is actually 1.5 to 1.9 trillion dollars a day. Central Bank intervention is very costly and continuous intervention would totally ruin any economic system.

There is hardly any free flow of peso's outside the DR.. so international peso speculation is not an issue..

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
There is hardly any free flow of peso's outside the DR.. so international peso speculation is not an issue..

Though it is local, ther is speculation nonetheless. It is worst because there are only a few major exchange houses that artificially manipulate rates. In a larger context (the "4 majors" currencies trade i.e. Yen, British Pound, Euro and Swissy), the movement needed for a speculator to make a profits is a few cents and a lot of times even less than a cent. Translate this to a smaller, much smaller economy like DR, where X or R exchange house can make the peso move in certain direction, they would benefit from the spread. Although this is confined to a local arena, speculation is there and for the exchange houses purpose of profiting that is all they need, as businesses, producers and even government need to exchange pesos for dollar to trade.

So you see, the peso does not need to be largely traded outside of DR.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
porfirio

the problem arises when Leonel wanted to look like an ecomomist hero, he manipultated the dollar ratio from 50 to $1, to 28 to $1. all done to buy cheap dollars. The Banks, and large businesses loved it because now they can buy dollars on sale, and pay their bills. Leonel blessed them and permitted both banks, and super markets to charge the highest prices, and fees with no consideration for the cheaper dollar, which permitted them to operate at the peoples expense. Bad boy Leonel, the only result will be more Dominicans on the boats to PR. and those who can afford a flight will do so. the only difference between Hippollito and Leonel is Hippo is loco and dangerous, Leonel is smarter and dangerous.
Snuffy said:
I have a question that I hope some of the intellectuals here can answer for me. I always thought that the exchange rate was based on a worldwide consensus of the value of the currency. That if the Dominican government needs to buy dollars to for example purchase oil and they don't have the dollars then they need to exchange pesos for dollars either at home or abroad. Now I can understand if they are able to force an exchange rate at home. But how does that work if they are wanting to buy dollars abroad. If some bank will not sell them dollars at 29 to 1 but demand 36 to 1 do they pay the 36 to 1? At some points they must have to go outside the country for dollars?

I'm obviously in the dark on how this works and would like someone to enlighten me. thank you.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Riu said:
Though it is local, ther is speculation nonetheless. It is worst because there are only a few major exchange houses that artificially manipulate rates. In a larger context (the "4 majors" currencies trade i.e. Yen, British Pound, Euro and Swissy), the movement needed for a speculator to make a profits is a few cents and a lot of times even less than a cent. Translate this to a smaller, much smaller economy like DR, where X or R exchange house can make the peso move in certain direction, they would benefit from the spread. Although this is confined to a local arena, speculation is there and for the exchange houses purpose of profiting that is all they need, as businesses, producers and even government need to exchange pesos for dollar to trade.

So you see, the peso does not need to be largely traded outside of DR.

Rui,

Thanks, but I never stated that there was no local speculation, in fact if you were to read my posts prior to the one you quoted I insisted that all speculation was local and quite easily done either by govt or exchange houses... still under govt control though; see the installation of currency exchange committees last year, consisting of military going by the exchange houses to 'persuade' the exchange houses to exchange their dollars for govt held pesos.. see my conversation with Mondongo on this issue..

I will however insist that there is hardly any international speculation on the peso, esp since the control over the exchange rate is largely local (govt)..

Cheers,

MD

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Porfirio said:
the problem arises when Leonel wanted to look like an ecomomist hero, he manipultated the dollar ratio from 50 to $1, to 28 to $1. all done to buy cheap dollars. The Banks, and large businesses loved it because now they can buy dollars on sale, and pay their bills. Leonel blessed them and permitted both banks, and super markets to charge the highest prices, and fees with no consideration for the cheaper dollar, which permitted them to operate at the peoples expense. Bad boy Leonel, the only result will be more Dominicans on the boats to PR. and those who can afford a flight will do so. the only difference between Hippollito and Leonel is Hippo is loco and dangerous, Leonel is smarter and dangerous.

Porfirio,

I don't agree with your motivation behind Leonel's actions... he is just doing what he must for the country to survive.. paying back loans and paying for oil at affordable prices, for which he needs to keep the value of the dollar artificially low... as long as sufficient dollars roll into the country from tourism, exports and other sources he can continue his exchange rate game.. and yes he lets the Dominican people pay their bills.. they voted in the Hippo.. they shall pay his bills too.. I've invariably posted that the Hippo has mortgaged the future of his people.. now you see the effects of this.. the bills come due, the piper needs to be paid...

Oh and nobody forced Hippo to loan money.. not the IMF nor anybody else...he did so out of his own volition to pay for jeepeta's and houses for his croonies.. not even to invest in the future of his people..

Leonel is caught in a difficult situation and will try to do his best.. he also needs to cut public spending and payroll.. but those items are difficulty to tackle with a deadlock in parlaiment.. let's see what happens after the parlementairy elections of next year.. then he can really clean house..

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
Rui,

Thanks, but I never stated that there was no local speculation, in fact if you were to read my posts prior to the one you quoted I insisted that all speculation was local and quite easily done either by govt or exchange houses... still under govt control though; see the installation of currency exchange committees last year, consisting of military going by the exchange houses to 'persuade' the exchange houses to exchange their dollars for govt held pesos.. see my conversation with Mondongo on this issue..

I will however insist that there is hardly any international speculation on the peso, esp since the control over the exchange rate is largely local (govt)..

Cheers,

MD
You are correct. The dominican economy is simply too small for its currency to be internationalized and openly traded in the FOREX market. On the local speculation I was simply reafirming your point while asserting that the peso has no market outside its local boundaries.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
Porfirio,

I don't agree with your motivation behind Leonel's actions... he is just doing what he must for the country to survive.. paying back loans and paying for oil at affordable prices, for which he needs to keep the value of the dollar artificially low... as long as sufficient dollars roll into the country from tourism, exports and other sources he can continue his exchange rate game.. and yes he lets the Dominican people pay their bills.. they voted in the Hippo.. they shall pay his bills too.. I've invariably posted that the Hippo has mortgaged the future of his people.. now you see the effects of this.. the bills come due, the piper needs to be paid...

Oh and nobody forced Hippo to loan money.. not the IMF nor anybody else...he did so out of his own volition to pay for jeepeta's and houses for his croonies.. not even to invest in the future of his people..

Leonel is caught in a difficult situation and will try to do his best.. he also needs to cut public spending and payroll.. but those items are difficulty to tackle with a deadlock in parlaiment.. let's see what happens after the parlementairy elections of next year.. then he can really clean house..

I agree Dutchie. No matter what the DR leader does people will always complain. Hippo destroyed the economy and Leonel waving a magic wand and making everything allright should not be expected. Cause and effect, for every action there must be a reaction. The alternative? would they rather LF did nothing and let the country sink or implement measure to fix the damage although not in its entirety even at the expense of public distaste for the measures? Thing have certainly improved from a year ago, wouldn't you agree? I doubt Dominicans would rather be back in 2004 under Hippo than 2005 under LF.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
porfirio

Snuffy said:
I have a question that I hope some of the intellectuals here can answer for me. I always thought that the exchange rate was based on a worldwide consensus of the value of the currency. That if the Dominican government needs to buy dollars to for example purchase oil and they don't have the dollars then they need to exchange pesos for dollars either at home or abroad. Now I can understand if they are able to force an exchange rate at home. But how does that work if they are wanting to buy dollars abroad. If some bank will not sell them dollars at 29 to 1 but demand 36 to 1 do they pay the 36 to 1? At some points they must have to go outside the country for dollars?

I'm obviously in the dark on how this works and would like someone to enlighten me. thank you.

The value of a nations currency is calculated by International Currency Exchange. In the case of the Dominican Peso, the current ratio of 30 to $1 US has been forced on the Country by Leonel. When Hipo was in office the ratio went as high as 60 pesos to $1 US. Pesos were expensive. Now Leonel has artificially set the ratio in the 28 pesos to $1 US, putting the US dollar on sale. Leonel did this devious manipulation to permit him and his cronies to pay their bills with cheap dollars. Leonel worked out a deal that permitted the banks and business community NOT to pass along the savings they were enjoying. That is why Dominicans work for 4000 or 5000 ($125 to $150 US per month) that is why Banks still charge over 20% interest, but pay you 7% for depositing money in the same banks. That is why Super Markets are 20% to 40% more expensive than Super Markets in Miami or New York. While Leonel is on another of his trips dreaming that he is an international statesman and lunching on Lobster & Steaks, his constituents find it difficult to put food on their tables. Unless Leonel behaves himself, and puts the peso at 40 to $1 US, Zona Franca will disappear. and the poor will get poorer. And Leonel will become richer than he already is, and his cronies will all become multi millionaires. We, the people will continue suffering and hope for another Duarte.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I read somewhere that the lower exchange rate has saved the Dominican government billions of pesos in loan payments. If this is accurate don't you believe that the long term beneficial effects of this savings could outweigh the short term negative effects?

Porfirio said:
The value of a nations currency is calculated by International Currency Exchange. In the case of the Dominican Peso, the current ratio of 30 to $1 US has been forced on the Country by Leonel. When Hipo was in office the ratio went as high as 60 pesos to $1 US. Pesos were expensive. Now Leonel has artificially set the ratio in the 28 pesos to $1 US, putting the US dollar on sale. Leonel did this devious manipulation to permit him and his cronies to pay their bills with cheap dollars. Leonel worked out a deal that permitted the banks and business community NOT to pass along the savings they were enjoying. That is why Dominicans work for 4000 or 5000 ($125 to $150 US per month) that is why Banks still charge over 20% interest, but pay you 7% for depositing money in the same banks. That is why Super Markets are 20% to 40% more expensive than Super Markets in Miami or New York. While Leonel is on another of his trips dreaming that he is an international statesman and lunching on Lobster & Steaks, his constituents find it difficult to put food on their tables. Unless Leonel behaves himself, and puts the peso at 40 to $1 US, Zona Franca will disappear. and the poor will get poorer. And Leonel will become richer than he already is, and his cronies will all become multi millionaires. We, the people will continue suffering and hope for another Duarte.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It really depends on which side of the trade you are on.
Yes, a lower exchange rate is better to buy oil pay the utility bills, it costs less in $RD to buy $USD.

If you were smart and bought Pesos in the mid 50's and sold them below 30 then you are as smart than the Funglode boys.

Since food prices have never been readjusted to reflect the stronger RD Peso, then NOBODY but Uncle Leonel and his Cambio Club benefit from a stronger Peso.

project9

May 29, 2004
Porfirio the Leonel must share his tricks with the next president so every president has the recipe to "force" an exchange rate for more than a year. Hipolito would've been more than happy if the "force" had been with him.

Here's a little colmado math for you:

Suppose that we buy weekly the 129,000(2004 est.) we consume every day, that would be 903,000 barrels every week:

With an exchange rate of 50*1 and oil prices at US$57(an average) RD$2,573,550,000 would be needed every week to buy oil.

Now, with an exchange rate of 30*1 and oil prices at US$57 we would need RD$1,544,130,000

See? the difference is over one billion RD$ ... sure that's the kind of stuff that's not beneficial to our country even if it affects (in a positive way) almost every dominican ... but maybe what's good for this country is to have some businees exploiting a situation that only benefits them.

project9

May 29, 2004
And more colmado math:

Let's give our debt a round number: US$7,000,000,000

At an exchange rate of 50*1 we would need to produce (just to pay that debt) RD$350,000,000,000

At the current exchange rate of 30*1 we would need to produce RD$210,000,000,000

... That's a difference of 140 billion RD$ ... and still that does the country no good, in your eyes that is.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Project 9,

Exactly.. by the way Leonel is not paying his bills, he is paying the bills he inherited from the Hippo.. let's get this straight once and for all.. so Porfirio save me the demagogic tricks.. if you want to debate on merits you're more than welcome and your arguments do hold enough merit on their own for you not to have to resort to cheap tricks..

Cheers,

MD

leekirkpatrick

Mar 9, 2005
I'm interested in your last statements below. Let's assume Leonel gets what he needs out of the parlimentary elections next year & enough seats are filled with folks from his political party for Leonel to do what he wants/needs to "fix" the country.

What is Leonel likely to do? What are his plans?
What effects will this have on the economy?
What effect will this have on the exchange rate of the peso?

This has been an excellent thread. I really appreciate everyone's insights & opinions.

MerengueDutchie said:
Porfirio,

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
Porfirio

Nal0whs said:
Determining of the Currency Exchange Rate

I will try to explain in the best way I possibly can how the exchange rates are determined worldwide. This is based on the exchange rate floating, not fixing.

Each nation has an adopted currency from which economic transactions can be made with. The reason for currency (as oppose using a good or service) to pay for a good or service is used, is because its more efficient and allows for more material gain.

Let's use Dominican Pesos (DOP) vs United States Dollar (USD) for the sake of discussion. Let's also assume that the two currency are the only two currency in the world. Let's also assume that the DR produces only agricultural products and the US produces material goods only.

With no trade between the two countries, each currency will be worth 1:1 also known as at par. 1 DOP will buy you 1 USD and vice versa. However, with no trade, that would mean that the DR will have an overabundance of agricultural products and a complete absence of material goods and the US will have an overabundance of material goods and a complete absence of agricultural products. Thus, in order for both nations to be better off, the two will have to trade.

In order for the DR to be able to buy American material goods, the DR will need to get USD?s because that is the currency that the US recognizes and is the only currency that can be used to purchase US material goods. On the contrary, the US will need to get DOP?s if it wishes to buy Dominican agricultural products, because that is the currency the DR recognizes and must be used to purchase Dominican agricultural products.

The way the pricing of the currency is done is based on supply and demand. In order for the DR to be able to buy American stuff, it will need to first buy American dollars. At an exchange rate of 1:1, each Dominican peso will be redeemed with one American dollar. Thus, the exchange rate remains at par. With the Americans, the same ordeal follows and the exchange rate also remains at par.

Now, let?s add a new twist. In the above examples, we were assuming a simple purchasing of foreign currency for the sake of redeeming them for foreign goods. Now, let?s add a new twist, which correlates somewhat with reality.

The only way Dominican businesses can get their hands on American currency in order to buy and import American goods is through the Dominican banking system. The only way the Dominican banking system can get the dollars need by the Dominican merchants is through deposits of American dollars or through reserves. Every time a Dominican merchant asks to exchange his pesos for dollars, the reserves for dollars in the Dominican banking system diminishes by the amount demanded.

If there is only 1 million USD?s in the Dominican banking system reserves and 1 million USD?s in the American system, depending on the availability and the demand the price of each currency will either go up or down.

Let?s assume that the Dominican economy (the merchants, etc) are demanding 3 million USD?s from the Dominican banking system in order for them to be able to buy American products and import them into the Dominican economy. Obviously, there are only 1 million USD?s, this means that in order for the banking system to avoid running out of dollars and causing an economic collapse, the premium paid on the currency must rise to meet demand. Thus, the value of 1 USD will now cost 3 DOPs. At the same time, the value of 1 DOP will now cost 33 USD cents. If the total demand of Dollars by the Dominican economy rises to 10 million, then the value of 1 USD will be 10 DOPs and the value of 1 DOPs will be 10 USD cents.

Thus, in order for a Dominican merchant be able to import American product, he will need 10 Dominican pesos for every 1 US dollar he wishes to purchase. On the contrary, in order for an American merchant be able to import Dominican products, he will need 10 US cents in order to buy 1 Dominican pesos.

At the same time all of this is occurring, the interest rates paid on deposits fluctuates according to the scenario. When both currencies are at par, the interest rate will be 0%, because there is no demand and no shortage of either currency in either market.

However, as the reserve amount of USD?s in the Dominican banking system diminishes, the Dominican banking system must find a way of attracting more US dollar into it?s system in order to be able to supply the demand of the Dominican merchants for more Dollars. Thus, the interest rate on deposits of US dollars increases as well as the reserve of dollars decreases. This will motivate US dollar owners to put their dollars in the Dominican banking system in order to gain from the good interest rate.

If more dollars fills the Dominican system than its being extracted, eventually the reserves will reach their previous levels and the interest rates will subsequently drop until they reach zero, assuming the Dollars simply keeps flowing in.

This was a very simple, diluted version of how exchange rates are decided. If you need further explanation, simply ask?

-Nal
XXXXXXXXFROM PORFIRIOXXXXXX
Your explanation is long and confusing. simply put, Leonel saw a devious opportunity to inflate the value of the peso, and in turn devaluate the US Dollar. The true value of the peso is 39-40 per each dollar. Leonel corners all dollars at a bargain price (during Hippolitos reign the dollar was as high as 60 to 1$US) ThIS fraud works because Dominicans are paying for this fiasco as the banks now pay minimum interest of 1.5% to 2.0% for US$, and 7%-9% on pesos, where formerly banks paid as high as 12% on $US, and the Central Bank paid as high as 50% for peso CD?s. Prices in super markets never adjusted for the cheap US$ they were now buying, and Dominicans suffer for this joke perpetrated by Leonel, who personally is laughing all the way to the banks (he reputedly owns). Let?s remember Margarita Gomez, who Leonel enriched with over $350,000,000 DR. (THATS MILLION) Let?s remember the Santiago Hospital Leonel gave $25,000,000 US$ (THATS MILLION) to (his friends). Let?s remember Plan Renove, where vehicles supposedly destined for the poor drivers, wound up in the ?nsiders hands?Over $125,000,000 (MILLION AGAIN) was absconded by these same insiders, and Sam Goodson lives a life of a king in Miami. Treason is a punishable offense by execution, and our ?leaders?are commiting treason when they keep the poor in bondage, and fatten themselves on a daily basis.We need the death penalty here to control these ?leaders?who commit treason against the people they swore to protect.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Porfirio said:
XXXXXXXXFROM PORFIRIOXXXXXX
The true value of the peso is 39-40 per each dollar. Leonel corners all dollars at a bargain price (during Hippolitos reign the dollar was as high as 60 to 1$US) ThIS fraud works because Dominicans are paying for this fiasco as the banks now pay minimum interest of 1.5% to 2.0% for US$, and 7%-9% on pesos, where formerly banks paid as high as 12% on $US, and the Central Bank paid as high as 50% for peso CD?s. .
I guesss you just ignore the Laws of Economics the rest of the world runs on. Sure the banks were paying 50% when the inflation rate was 80%. Your net at the end of the year was a loss of 30%. I would much rather earn 7-9% with an inflation rate of 4%, a 3-5% net gain.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
editor

Only Cuba, China and the DR go against the international monetary currancy formula of setting a value on their currancy. This is proven when a visitor from the three Countries identified above (Cuba, China, DR) arrive in Europe, Canada or United States and attempt to convert their countries currency to Euros, Canadien $, or US $. They will not accept the currency from the three mentioned above. So, prior to departing from any of these three Countries, China, Cuba or DR, you must convert to a currency recognized with international stability such as the US $, Euros Canadian Dollar etc: The consequence of this unorthodox practice is the currencies of China, Cuba, DR, is that the value or acceptance is only applicable within their own countries, like play money. The question arises when we wonder what does each of the three violating societies do with the US $, Euros, Canadien dollars that are amassed in the billions. Answer: The leaders of Cuba, China and DR are becoming the worlds next billionaires. While the Citizens of China, Cuba and DR are prisoners in a perpetuating cycle of econimic imprisonment. Leaders of the DR are literally salavating (drooling) at the $350,000,000 (million)US International Monetary Money destined to arrive here. What in the world will these devious leaders do with this windfall of US dollars ?? Remember, this is another LOAN piled on top of past loans provided by the IMF, Paris Club & OAS, the DR is drowning in. No ?watchdog?here in the DR to oversee where the $350,000,000 (million) winds up, so we must assume another ?Plan Renove?will appear, or Margarita Gomez will ?decorate?another Government Building. In a country such as the DR, where Police steal hundreds of cars, passports are sold like bananas, banks (Baninter, Bancredito) fail, and the Owners such as Baez Figueroa and Arturo Pellerano live lives of Kings with no punishment, in vain we await justice. Dominicans contended with abuse & injustice perpetrated on them by Tyrants and Thieves for generations. And still they come in a never ending parade of sinning deviates. Pepe Gloico and Sam Goodson are two who were permitted to escape because they would reveal accomplises leading up to the Presidencys. Paulino Corrino will stand trial under the US Federal Court System in November, and insiders feel that as many as 50 will be sentenced to long prison terms. Paulino continues to name high ups within the DR Government, right up to past and present very famous people. One final question for my friends participating in this discussion -- President Chavez (Venezuela) sells oil to Cuba & DR for $26 US per barrel, while the market price is above $60 US, where gasoline sells for less than $3.00 US. Why is gasoline sold here in the DR still above $3.00 ?

Last edited:

project9

May 29, 2004
Porfirio said:
Only Cuba, China and the DR go against the international monetary currancy formula of setting a value on their currancy.

I can only assume ignorance when trying to understand how a person is making such a relation between countries with widely different exchange rate regimes. What i can't understand at all is how someone is talking about "setting" an exchange rate in a country with a managed floating exchange rate.

Can you please tell me when was the last time the Central Bank set an exchange rate?

Porfirio said:
This is proven when a visitor from the three Countries identified above (Cuba, China, DR) arrive in Europe, Canada or United States and attempt to convert their countries currency to Euros, Canadien $, or US $. They will not accept the currency from the three mentioned above. So, prior to departing from any of these three Countries, China, Cuba or DR, you must convert to a currency recognized with international stability such as the US $, Euros Canadian Dollar etc: The consequence of this unorthodox practice is the currencies of China, Cuba, DR, is that the value or acceptance is only applicable within their own countries, like play money.

You can't convert RD$ in any other country simply because there's no RD$ market and no one is interested in acquiring RD$ ... supply and demmand theory, Ec101. The reasons why there's no international market for RD$ go far beyond the exchange rate regime of this country.

Porfirio said:
President Chavez (Venezuela) sells oil to Cuba & DR for $26 US per barrel, while the market price is above $60 US, where gasoline sells for less than $3.00 US. Why is gasoline sold here in the DR still above $3.00

How much oil is bought at that price?

BTW: the same happens with the mayority of countries outside the G8.

... i won't answer to the rest of your political ramblings since they're just that: ramblings.

Last edited: