Metro - The Video!

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I believe Mr Lu was addressing CarpeDReam.:confused:

no he was addressing me. i told him he has some self hate issues. go back to the first page, you'll see.

Mr. Lu said:
But I think the original comment and my response were speaking more on general terms about things in the DR.

that first comment he is talking about is my comment and his response to my comment which carp commented on and then Lu made a comment on that so now I went back and commented on their comments.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
no he was addressing me. i told him he has some self hate issues. go back to the first page, you'll see.

that first comment he is talking about is my comment and his response to my comment which carp commented on and then Lu made a comment on that so now I went back and commented on their comments.

As to Mujer Maravilla's comments, no one was intentionally looking for mistakes, but those we did find (for those of us who are sticklers for detail) were glaring and were indicative of the rush by the government to get the project going. The concern with the small mistakes is that they could be the small leak in the hose, meaning there could be other mistakes, and much more dangerous. We've seen what public works turn into at the hands of the government. I speak from what I see.

For those who blindly take government's word as the "holy grail" and defend erroneous decisions based on the flawed concept of patriotism only provide a weak foundation for an eventually eroding challenging discourse by the proletariat.

There is no self hate, just a willingness by some to look at the good and the bad. Dominicans and non-Dominicans alike have voiced opposing and uniting views, it doesn't mean they love or hate the DR more than the next bloke. I would honestly ask you to question blind patriotism vs. the realities the discourse of the Metro presents.

In laymen terms, just because the government says its good and just because it was made in the DR and you are proud to be Dominican doesn't mean you can't ask the pertinent questions. At the end of the day, is perfection too much to strive for, even if we don't attain it?

Anyways, enough of my tangential diatribes. I appreciate all the support and positive comments. We've made a few more videos and hopefully we can bring you guys some more sights and sounds from around the DR.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu
my bold

I think this is what you are referring to. The way you went about it was confusing. Hope you don't mind my clarification.:cheeky:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

We have to give credit where credit is due.

In your commentary you said that the metro is a step forward but that you still see many things that are still very Dominican. From the outside listening to your comment it seems that you substituted “backwards” with Dominican. I can point out other things if you’ll like me to.

I don't give credit to corruption. This is what the Metro amounts to. The way they lobbied it, the lack of transparency and the way it was completed. Building roads is one thing, building a Metro that costs 2/3ds the budget is ridiculous.

The Metro is a step forward, and women cleaning the floors with a "swape" is still very Dominican. It's irony and sarcasm all rolled into one. For those who appreciate details, it was the contrast between old and new. It was subtlety at its best. But not everyone has the tools to recognize subtly.

And finally "Mujer" I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insulting me, whether here or elsewhere. I don't agree with you, but never have I insulted you. I am able to be critical regardless of the topic, please try to do the same.

Cheers to all,

Mr. Lu

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I don't give credit to corruption. This is what the Metro amounts to. The way they lobbied it, the lack of transparency and the way it was completed. Building roads is one thing, building a Metro that costs 2/3ds the budget is ridiculous.

The Metro is a step forward, and women cleaning the floors with a "swape" is still very Dominican. It's irony and sarcasm all rolled into one. For those who appreciate details, it was the contrast between old and new. It was subtlety at its best. But not everyone has the tools to recognize subtly.

And finally "Mujer" I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insulting me, whether here or elsewhere. I don't agree with you, but never have I insulted you. I am able to be critical regardless of the topic, please try to do the same.

Cheers to all,

Mr. Lu

you tell me where in the world capital projects of this magnitude don't run over budget? I think you are from boston, does the big dig ring a bell?
you act like the metro was built in one year and it ate up 2/3 of the year's budget !!!!

I don't have a problem with things being dominican. I have a problem with substituting backwards with Dominican.

I appreciate contrast as much as the other person. one can not upgrade the whole entire nation in one felp swoop neither can we resist progress because everything else is in decay.

And finally "Lu" I am sorry if thinking that your comment is SAD is an insult to you. lighten up. relax. have a coke and a smile.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

you tell me where in the world capital projects of this magnitude don't run over budget? I think you are from boston, does the big dig ring a bell?
you act like the metro was built in one year and it ate up 2/3 of the year's budget !!!!

I don't have a problem with things being dominican. I have a problem with substituting backwards with Dominican.

I appreciate contrast as much as the other person. one can not upgrade the whole entire nation in one felp swoop neither can we resist progress because everything else is in decay.

And finally "Lu" I am sorry if thinking that your comment is SAD is an insult to you. lighten up. relax. have a coke and a smile.

A) I'm not from Boston. I'm from the greatest city on the PLANET. Ask Scandall about that.

B) Big Dig / Metro = Comparing apples and oranges.

C) I never used backwards. A Freudian slip, eh? I say "somethings are still Dominican," you think "backwards?" Check that.

Mr. Lu

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
A) I'm not from Boston. I'm from the greatest city on the PLANET. Ask Scandall about that.

B) Big Dig / Metro = Comparing apples and oranges.

C) I never used backwards. A Freudian slip, eh? I say "somethings are still Dominican," you think "backwards?" Check that.

Mr. Lu

no apples to apples. they are both transportation projects. they both went over budget.

I know you didn't use backwards but this is what you said. I'm paraphasing: the metro is an advance but some things are still very dominican. what is that supposed to mean? you talk about subtlety but, wouldn't a person who looks for those things conclude that you are substituting one thing for the other?

no slip here. I've been through the fire in DR so I know progress when I see it.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

no apples to apples. they are both transportation projects. they both went over budget.

I know you didn't use backwards but this is what you said. I'm paraphasing: the metro is an advance but some things are still very dominican. what is that supposed to mean? you talk about subtlety but, wouldn't a person who looks for those things conclude that you are substituting one thing for the other?

no slip here. I've been through the fire in DR so I know progress when I see it.

Nope I was wrong. Not apples and oranges, apples and bolts.

BTW, it means what it means. Metro new, swape old. Metro progress, swape old way of doing things. Subtle contrast. That defines the DR. The same way a 7yr. old kid cleaning a Porsche at a stoplight. Subtle contrast. In the same way you ride over the poorest barrios in a million dollar piece of steel. Subtle contrast. I can't control what "people" conclude or infer.

Let's agree to disagree.

Mr. Lu

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Nope I was wrong. Not apples and oranges, apples and bolts.

BTW, it means what it means. Metro new, swape old. Metro progress, swape old way of doing things. Subtle contrast. That defines the DR. The same way a 7yr. old kid cleaning a Porsche at a stoplight. Subtle contrast. In the same way you ride over the poorest barrios in a million dollar piece of steel. Subtle contrast. I can't control what "people" conclude or infer.

Let's agree to disagree.

Mr. Lu

apples and bolts? are you trying to say? do you realize that a piece of one of the tunnels fell on a car and killed a woman? and a Dominican woman at that!!!!!

I was just about to suggest the same thing... agree to disagree. I'm cool with that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My point is we that can't blindly trust government, especially here. And with an investment like the Metro there should be no room for error. But looking at the government's track record on things like this, my concerns are many.

Mr. Lu
That message was more than clear.

You should really keep in mind that your reality is not necessarily the reality of others.

Or, to put it bluntly, just because the government is a "blindspot" for you with the only access to information being second hand sources (ie. newspapers, television shows, the rumor mill, etc); doesn't mean that other people don't have relationships with people that do have connections to the central nerve of the entire government.

And that makes all the difference.

Hence, what for you is "blind trust" for others is just "accurate information" or as accurate as it can be.

-NALs

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Why waste money buy cleaning machine for the Metro when you can pay some poor women to clean it with SUAPES.

Women cleaning the Metro with Suapes it just another way of employing more people in this hard economic situation, poor people needs money to make ends meet.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

That message was more than clear.

You should really keep in mind that your reality is not necessarily the reality of others.

Or, to put it bluntly, just because the government is a "blindspot" for you with the only access to information being second hand sources (ie. newspapers, television shows, the rumor mill, etc); doesn't mean that other people don't have relationships with people that do have connections to the central nerve of the entire government.

And that makes all the difference.

Hence, what for you is "blind trust" for others is just "accurate information" or as accurate as it can be.

-NALs

All information is second hand information, unless you were there to witness it all.

As I said to the M. Maravilla, let's agree to disagree. The Metro is here.

He who is without sin.........

Mr. Lu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Mr. Lu was pointing out some concerns as he sees them, juxtaposing the rightful and fully deserved euphoria many feel with the completion of this project against the DR government's abysmal track record of doing anything correctly, on time and within budget. This is what is considered responsible journalism and food for thought.

Nothing wrong with being pragmatic and taking a wait-and-see approach, for the real impact will not be felt for a couple of years yet.

Maintenance and safety are real concerns for any metro-style commuter line, and if anyone has taken the subway in NYC you would know that a sense of cynicism can be reached by the masses very quickly when they are forced to pay a premium for consistently substandard service.

I have yet to ride a subway line here without being bombarded by the stench of homeless, drug-addled, disfigured beggars, harassed by teenagers selling M&Ms and forcibly serenaded by crackhead doo-wop A cappella groups and mariachi bands. This is aside the fact that you are forced to inhabit a confined space with the rudest, most uncivilized passengers I've ever seen in my life.

Luckily the Santo Domingo Metro is small enough that many issues that could possibly come up will not overwhelm the system like it has here in NYC.

I for one am looking forward to seeing Santo Domingo move forward and continue with more of these projects, sans the lunacy that goes on in the NYC Transit System.

And as for the optimists attacking Mr. Lu's balanced viewpoint, remember that Admiral James Stockdale, after spending 7 years in a Vietnamese prison camp, remarked that the prisoners who didn't make it out alive were the optimists. They were the ones that couldn't hold on.:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
Nice video guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the Metro first hand on my next visit to the Capital. It will be interesting to see how it looks and runs in another year or two.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Excellent video ! Thanks for the ride !

The dichotomy is more than evident and the questions they pose applicable to well beyond the DR.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
apples and bolts? are you trying to say? do you realize that a piece of one of the tunnels fell on a car and killed a woman? and a Dominican woman at that!!!!!

Her name was Milena Delvalle and she was born in Costa Rica. Her husband Angel Delvalle who survived the accident was born in Puerto Rico.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Is that Mr. Lu or Common?

52ukmq0.jpg

He sure looks like him...

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
....damm, i am so kicking myself in the rear for not visiting this subway/metro when i was in SD last week. i admit that i was a non believer when i first learned of the construction of this project few years ago as my main complain was "how can they spend so much money on this when blackouts were an unresolved issue"

Major kudos to president Leonel Fernandez for making it happen. and ..........our own DR1 poster -NALs whos been the only member here i think who had anything positive to say about this train since day one.lol

During my visit in SD everything was nice,however the only depressing sight was that of the "public" transportation like Av. San Vicente de Paul. most taxis and guaguas were falling pieces of junk and overcrowded. i can't wait to see how everything will tun out once the complete project is finished.

Santo Domingo Metro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia