Metro vs Caribe - My Personal Experience

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Many times the CT drivers will drive TOO FAST. *Please slowdown chofur, you have a bus full of people, MAS DESPACIO!!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Take care with Caribe in Puerto Plata. They often change the bus for Sosua. Info only in dominican slang.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sonething similar I noticed when I went to playa Rincon. On each side of the bay there is a beach stretch, one side for 'the poor' the other for 'the rich'. The poor side is full of buses (and loud music) the other side with yeepetas. For some reason the groups don't mix.

one hundred percent spot on!!! there are clubs in POP which are populated by the people from Bayardo and Torre Alta, and places like those. the people from Mirador Sur and Cristo Rey do not go to those same places, because they know they are not welcome.

there is a club in POP whose name i will not divulge in this posting. it is one of the hangouts of the hoity toity POP crowd,,the upper crust. they play the kind of music of which the group approves. i was there one night when a guy requested that they play bachata, and he was asked to leave.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't really mean to start a huge discussion about classes and rich versus poor or social standing. I didn't really notice a difference in clientele...just facilities and service. So I apologize if it seemed like I was slamming Caribe. I didn't mean to belittle the company or their service. It was just one experience and I preferred Metro. To each their own...especially if you don't have a choice because of location. I do realize I am not Dominican and am very privileged by comparison. But I love the attitudes of most Dominicans to us "old" people and often am offered help crossing the street. I've even had motoconchos stop traffic both ways so I can safely cross. So again, sorry if I seemed snobbish....Judy

it is not a matter of snobbery. it is simply calling things for what they are. i take whichever i feel like at any given time, but there are differences in clientele.*

i got on Caribe Tours in Santiago on one occasion, and the driver was embroiled in a fight with a passenger. he was telling her that she could not eat pica pollo on the bus, because the smell might nauseate other passengers, and people wipe their greasy hands on the curtains, inviting an inflow of vermin. she would not stand down, and the police had to intervene, and not with diplomacy. they snatched her meal and threw it across the street. you won?t see that on Metro.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I didn't really mean to start a huge discussion about classes and rich versus poor or social standing. I didn't really notice a difference in clientele...just facilities and service. So I apologize if it seemed like I was slamming Caribe. I didn't mean to belittle the company or their service. It was just one experience and I preferred Metro. To each their own...especially if you don't have a choice because of location. I do realize I am not Dominican and am very privileged by comparison. But I love the attitudes of most Dominicans to us "old" people and often am offered help crossing the street. I've even had motoconchos stop traffic both ways so I can safely cross. So again, sorry if I seemed snobbish....Judy

Your experience is your experience so nobody can argue with what you experienced. I am confused a bit with your tale of woe though. Did you find the ticket areas in Santo Domingo confusing? You don't have to go to a specific one to buy your ticket , regardless of what the sign on the glass might say. I have found the luggage boys very helpful to which slot the bus will come into. Puerto Plata is almost always slot numbers 1,2, or 3. I just came back from a week in Colombia and the bus drivers there all drive like Mario Andretti, so here they are tame by comparison.

Aug 6, 2006
Caribe Tour is better than the other buses that travel between Barahona and SD. They are faster because they do not take a 30 minute break at Cruce de Ocoa. I don't have any trouble finding the proper ticket window, but it is true that there is no way to know where the Barahona bound bus will park before leaving SD. It is usually one of the five slots nearest the ticket window. One advantage of CT is that there are two places where you can change dollars fo0r pesos at a better rate than in Barahona.

The other line that runs buses has its SD terminal down by the Rio Ozama bridge, and if you want to wait for the larger, safer and more comfy bus, it is difficult because the smaller busitos cobradores will snatch your luggage out of your hands and tell you lies about how the larger bus just left, is not running or somesuch lame nonsense.

The smaller buses do not seem nearly as safe to me, and they are crowded and uncomfortable.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ticket windows at CT, Santo Domingo.......... This is how I can see it being confusing. The main entrance to CT there are what appear to be ticket windows but these are windows for picking up packages. Now go inside and the first group of windows are for sending packages. Finally the last group of windows are where you purchase your tickets.

Keep in mind this is the OP first time at CT.

Finding "your" bus is not quite so easy also. Yes, at the last minute or two they will slap the signs on the bus window where it is going. Only good thing before you board the bus your ticket is thoroughly checked so I think it would be difficult to board the wrong bus.

I truly understand the OP. If you have been used to Metro and you now step into the CT Santo Domingo terminal it will throw you back a bit.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Spotting the bus for Sosua is always fairly easy....there is normally a certain type of clientele travelling, of the female kind.
This observation has usually worked pretty well for me

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
The difference in Metro and CT is very similar to the difference between Greyhound and Trailways in the states in the 50's.

Greyhound was major point to major point. Trailways stopped for passengers at every intersection.