Migration director: No official numbers on Haitians living and working in DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Enrique-Garcia-El-Dia-1024x695.png

The Migration Agency (DGM) director, Enrique Garcia was interviewed on the TV program Hoy Mismo and admitted he does not know how many Haitian citizens are living and working in the Dominican Republic.

“Now we are talking and we do not know how many are entering through the border,” Garcia stressed. He said the numbers of most other foreigners are known because they fall under the migration controls at the international airports. But most Haitians enter by land.

He explained that the immigration authorities continue to strengthen the deportation operations of all those illegal foreigners residing in the country.

He said the agreement that was signed with the Association of Traders and Industrialists of Santiago (ACIS) and the Consulate of Haiti is to promote trade between both nations, the regularization of Haitian workers to give them access to social security, and the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have a Haitian friend whom I didn't help with a visa. He came here anyways illegally. He told me it was only 500 pesos in bribes to cross the border and to get to Santiago.

The good news is that he couldn't find the work he wanted to find, especially as an illegal. I did help him get back to Haiti. He has a wife and a little girl back there. It was nice to see him but now he understands that this is not necessarily the land of opportunity.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If they made Visas easier and faster and required semi-annual check-ins plus removal and non-renewal/re-entry if they commit a crime they could better track Haitians and screen the ones that won't comply.

Also if they catch them riding a motor without papers they should seize the moto.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have a Haitian friend whom I didn't help with a visa. He came here anyways illegally. He told me it was only 500 pesos in bribes to cross the border and to get to Santiago.
Hey brother NSP.
Always a pleasure to interact with you.
Thank you for the real life example of why the GOVDR has no official numbers on Haitians living and working in their country.
People are not easy to count when they are riding dirty and making runs for the border outside of the standard border crossing location.
And the people are crossing the border without documentation.

Point that interesting to me in the original article:
"9 out of 10 Haitians detained don't have passports"
If they made Visas easier and faster and required semi-annual check-ins plus removal and non-renewal/re-entry if they commit a crime they could better track Haitians and screen the ones that won't comply.
Brother CB,
You are another poster that I truly enjoy interacting with.
The Haitians are in a trick bag.
No amount of visa streamlining will help the Haitians that could quality for a visa when their own government won't even provided the papers necessary. What are they supposed to do❓
Goto a border crossing and :poop: a passport out❓

Mike drop and exit stage left...

EASTSIDE‼️

Damn, was that on topic or what❓
I go hard in the paint.
Come to the hoop strong
Or don't bother to come at all.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Also if they catch them riding a motor without papers they should seize the moto.
Agree, but is there political will to get this done? I would imagine it is difficult.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hey brother NSP.
Always a pleasure to interact with you.
Thank you for the real life example of why the GOVDR has no official numbers on Haitians living and working in their country.
People are not easy to count when they are riding dirty and making runs for the border outside of the standard border crossing location.
And the people are crossing the border without documentation.

Point that interesting to me in the original article:
"9 out of 10 Haitians detained don't have passports"

Brother CB,
You are another poster that I truly enjoy interacting with.
The Haitians are in a trick bag.
No amount of visa streamlining will help the Haitians that could quality for a visa when their own government won't even provided the papers necessary. What are they supposed to do❓
Goto a border crossing and :poop: a passport out❓

Mike drop and exit stage left...

EASTSIDE‼️

Damn, was that on topic or what❓
I go hard in the paint.
Come to the hoop strong
Or don't bother to come at all.

I have paid for at least 5 Haitian passports and exactly 4 visas to come to the DR legally. It's all doable. My Haitian kid is legal and he goes quarterly to Perdanales to renew it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
So The Migration Agency (DGM) director gets interviewed and says:
"When interviewed for the TV program, García explained that the main problem with the Haitians is they do not have passports. "Of 10 that we detain, nine do not have passports", he explained. He added that even when the Dominican employers would like to help their employees regularize their status they cannot do so b because these are undocumented."

Oh :poop: ‼️
Given the choice between believing the Director of DGM and some DR1er gringo who thinks they know everything.
I am going with the Director of DGM each time every time.

So he performs a strong cross over move that throws Vegas off balance and he shoots the three.
Ah...but it is a miss.
No joy...
Vegas recovers, dibbles the length of the floor and goes straight to the hoop right in his face.
What a dunk‼️
That has to be embarrassing when that happens to you.

"And of the major obstacles to regularize the status of Haitians in the Dominican Republic is that Haitian governments have been negligent in documenting their citizens over the years. With the critical social, economic, political, and security situation in Haiti worsening, the difficulties are more pronounced."

So, we got people up in here paying for Haitian passports and Dominican visas.
Not trying to invalidate his experiences.
But that was then and this is now.

And I know at least one hardworking Haitian that not only has all the paperwork needed.
Has education.
And has been working here legally.
Denied residency here in the Dominican Republic.
Last month.

Shall I make a referral to our immigration processing expert❓

EASTSIDE‼️

The saying goes: "if you want to battle..."

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
This is not a debate forum, Vegas. Cut out the posturing NOW!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So The Migration Agency (DGM) director gets interviewed and says:
"When interviewed for the TV program, García explained that the main problem with the Haitians is they do not have passports. "Of 10 that we detain, nine do not have passports", he explained. He added that even when the Dominican employers would like to help their employees regularize their status they cannot do so b because these are undocumented."

Oh :poop: ‼️
Given the choice between believing the Director of DGM and some DR1er gringo who thinks they know everything.
I am going with the Director of DGM each time every time.

So he performs a strong cross over move that throws Vegas off balance and he shoots the three.
Ah...but it is a miss.
No joy...
Vegas recovers, dibbles the length of the floor and goes straight to the hoop right in his face.
What a dunk‼️
That has to be embarrassing when that happens to you.

"And of the major obstacles to regularize the status of Haitians in the Dominican Republic is that Haitian governments have been negligent in documenting their citizens over the years. With the critical social, economic, political, and security situation in Haiti worsening, the difficulties are more pronounced."

So, we got people up in here paying for Haitian passports and Dominican visas.
Not trying to invalidate his experiences.
But that was then and this is now.

And I know at least one hardworking Haitian that not only has all the paperwork needed.
Has education.
And has been working here legally.
Denied residency here in the Dominican Republic.
Last month.

Shall I make a referral to our immigration processing expert❓

EASTSIDE‼️

The saying goes: "if you want to battle..."
When I did my citizenship there were nine Haitians also receiving citizenship the same day. Yes, many Haitians have passports, in fact the parents of all the Haitian students we have in the school have Haitian passports, however the majority of Haitians in the DR don't.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When I did my citizenship there were nine Haitians also receiving citizenship the same day. Yes, many Haitians have passports, in fact the parents of all the Haitian students we have in the school have Haitian passports, however the majority of Haitians in the DR don't.
Is having a PP a requirement to be enrolled in your school?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you arent Dominican you have to give us a copy of your passport. If you are a legal resident a cedula is good enough. All children must have a birth certificate...etc. We have one Haitian woman that is married to a Dominican guy and he has adopted her daughter and they have one together. The children are both Dominicans but she is only a permanent resident at this point.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
When I was taking classes at:

I'm sure that all of my fellow classmates that were Haitian had passports and were legally in the country.
Although I have no proof of this.
I never asked to see their passports.
Or their visas
Although several invited me to their country.
I figured they would not have done that if they were not confident that they could return and continue their studies.

The school was not free when I was attending and they also needed money for their living accommodations, food and personal studies.
None of them worked
Their parents footed the bill for their expenses.
Not once did I ever say Haitians don't have passports.
Nor did I say Haitians didn't have money.

I simply pointed out the inconvenient truth (that just happens to be the topic of this thread by the way) of what the Director of DGM said.
I will not repeat it as it as it there for all to read in black and white.
The Director of DGM is not talking about anecdotal evidence in the article.
He is speaking of his personal experience sitting in the chair where the peso stops at his agency.

And so I will speak for myself only.
I am not in the position to dispute his experiences.
So, that means I am not debating or posturing with anyone in DR1 one single bit.

My handle on DR1 is Yourmaninvegas
I live in Santo Domingo este
And I lovingly refer to it as EASTSIDE!!
And I am writing it the way it is.
For me at least.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
TBH, I don't understand why this is even a news story. It is something that has been known for years.

Reactions: windeguy

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
TBH, I don't understand why this is even a news story. It is something that has been known for years.

Perhaps the DR will soon acknowledge that wealthy families, politicians ( in their private ventures ) and municipalities are the biggest employers of illegals ( haitians, mainly )....... even though everybody has known it for a long time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There was a big round up yesterday in Batey of Haitians. They will go to Dabon and probably be back in Sousa before the sun sets Saturday.

If they organized with Haiti a real and reliable process that wasn't ripping off money from unsophisticated Haitians I think most would pursue good documents and be willing to pay the $400-$450 US. That's like a Gringo paying $5,000 US - no one wants to live illegal and be treated like a non-existent human.

It's the same in the US - you want to enter legally it can take 10 years, so why not just wade across ?
Legal immigration is a way to filter out the ones you do not want (and there are many of those) - Streamlining the process would benefit DR in my opinion

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Perhaps the DR will soon acknowledge that wealthy families, politicians ( in their private ventures ) and municipalities are the biggest employers of illegals ( haitians, mainly )....... even though everybody has known it for a long time.
"Wooding said that amid tough rhetoric, there is “an open secret” that exists within the Dominican government and among the Dominican people regarding migrant labor. They understand that key industries – construction, agriculture and tourism, for example – rely heavily on cheap Haitian labor. As a result, government officials straddle the fence between appeasing ultranationalists who call for a stricter border policy and satisfying business and economic interests deeply invested in maintaining the status quo."

In who's interest is it for anyone to acknowledge "the open secret"?

Reactions: zoomzx11 and malko