More Bad Publicity

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Whenever I see statistics from the 1800's, I am skeptical. Who was in charge of keeping a global tally of deaths by blue sharks in 1851? Same question for those who say ocean temps have risen 5 degrees since 1830. Who the he** was taking accurate temperature readings in the middle of the Atlantic in 1830?

So as not to go off topic, does anyone have the current ocean temp or shark death toll in Punta Cana?

actually, i hardly believe that thermometers were accurate to plus or minus 5 degrees in 1830.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
... what should the lifeguards have done? nicely ask "it" to move away or maybe the hotel should have asked swimmers to just ignore it and stay in the beach because it's just a "nice and harmless little blue shark"?

noooo... you don't remove the shark... you remove the people. It's NOT rocket science... I promise. Like most places, the lifeguards should call the people out of the water until the shark has gone on its merry way.... (still alive). Nothing had to die... sharks OR swimmers. Karma, folks.... Karma.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
noooo... you don't remove the shark... you remove the people. It's NOT rocket science... I promise. Like most places, the lifeguards should call the people out of the water until the shark has gone on its merry way.... (still alive). Nothing had to die... sharks OR swimmers. Karma, folks.... Karma.

Agreed; the water is the *shark's* habitat. Humans are the trespassers. Pull the people out of the water for 30 minutes.

Jul 28, 2014
If you want to swim without sharks, or crabs, or stingrays or anything else that lives in the ocean, find a salt water pool and enjoy yourself. People whose first instinct is to kill everything that scares them should not be allowed to go to the beach.

Lago Enriquillo (salt water lake) is home to the largest population of American crocodiles in the Caribbean ;)

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Lago Enriquillo (salt water lake) is home to the largest population of American crocodiles in the Caribbean ;)

I hate crocodiles.
It is so unfair that they are not endangered when nicer more cuddly stuff is.

I have spent many years in Africa and out of all the animals I would not mind if they were all turned into boots, handbags bookstands or steak..
Horrible,lazy,ugly,smelly,nasty,vicious prehistoric throwbacks which can't even be bothered to evolve.

All croc. conservationists and lovers should be given at least one to keep as a house pet.

Evil beasts..

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I hate crocodiles.
It is so unfair that they are not endangered when nicer more cuddly stuff is.

I have spent many years in Africa and out of all the animals I would not mind if they were all turned into boots, handbags bookstands or steak..
Horrible,lazy,ugly,smelly,nasty,vicious prehistoric throwbacks which can't even be bothered to evolve.

All croc. conservationists and lovers should be given at least one to keep as a house pet.

Evil beasts..

Maybe they don't need to evolve because their blueprint is flawless, just like the shark (the only animal on this world that doesn't have cancer!)

I hate humans.
It is so unfair that they destroy their own habitat and that of the animals.

Let's make all lamp shades of their skin, gives a nice effect with those horrible tattoos...

Humans...they even keep the devil at bay...

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Humans would be better off if they were the only living beings left on the earth. Then they would only need to worry about each other.

This planet and all animals living on it would be better off without humans.
If we only were that intelligent to imagine how beautiful this planet would be without these pestering human beings...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
This is why some sharks have been hunted almost to extinction "to protect the children."

I'm sure that if it was your child you would want to protect it and you would kill the shark with your own bare hands, one thing is kill for protection another is to kill them just for the fun of it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I'm sure that if it was your child you would want to protect it and you would kill the shark with your own bare hands, one thing is kill for protection another is to kill them just for the fun of it.

While those lifeguards were pulling that shark out of the water, who was watching the swimmers still in the water?

Oct 11, 2010
From the video it appears this shark was in distress before these guys even got near it. It seems to be caught in some kind of net or some "longliner's" gear. You can see they were pulling on whatever the shark was tangled in, that is how they were able to pull it to shore.

The only reason this shark was that close to the shore was because it was tangled in that net or gear and in distress. These guys would not have gone anywhere near this fish if it wasn't injured or in distress.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Maybe they don't need to evolve because their blueprint is flawless, just like the shark (the only animal on this world that doesn't have cancer!)

I hate humans.
It is so unfair that they destroy their own habitat and that of the animals.

Let's make all lamp shades of their skin, gives a nice effect with those horrible tattoos...

Humans...they even keep the devil at bay...

You keep the crocs.
All of 'em..

But if you would care to set an example by topping yourself, (or a vasectomy if that's a bit extreme) don't let us stop you..

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Blue shark that rarely attacks humans be darned. Like the lifeguards can easily know from the distance from the shore if it is a blue green yellow or purple shark. They did what they were paid for, protect the swimmers. If I was on that beach I would have been grateful to them to save me from potential danger. Geez and I was bathing on a beach less than 500 meters from there a few days ago. The criticism is undue and unwarranted. Sharks should not be around Punta Cana and if they appear, measures should be taken. As one commenter on that MSN thread wrote, it's OK for an alligator to kill a 2 year old child in shallow water, but not for us to protect ourselves from sharks in the same shallow water?

behave.....sharks live in the ocean...humans do not.........if you go into the sea and get stung by jellyfish, cut by coral,bitten by a barracuda, you can hardly complain............I understand and agree with your point about the lifeguards 'protecting' swimmers, but how about maybe getting a boat and pulling the shark out into deeper water? rather than killing it and sitting on top of it to get your selfie.................considering how this is an island surrounded by ocean, there does seemto be a lack of awareness and knowledge regarding ocean critters.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Now it happens that the animal kingdom is more important than the humand kind... until your life or a family member's life is in danger, I am sure no one will think twice about killing the animal, endangered species or not (no time to look it up in Wikipedia)... my advice, don't take a selfie after you sacrifice the animal

Oct 11, 2010
I would just ask two questions...

Is this an endangered species?

No.

did they eat the thing?
Down here, maybe.

MOST shark meat tends to get saturated with urea after the shark dies, which in turn deteriorates into ammonia. Depending on how long the shark was left lying around would determine how edible the meat would be. But only after soaking it to rid the meat of the accumulated ammonia.

I certainly wouldn't eat it.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Education. Education of the species of sharks that do inhabit these waters. Education of why we need them in the ecosystem. Education on the lack of threat they actually pose. Education on how to act if you are lucky enough to see one. EDUCATION

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
So as not to go off topic, does anyone have the current ocean temp or shark death toll in Punta Cana?

Ocean temp no idea. According to the International Shark Attack File, there have been 3 attacks reported in the DR. Two of these were in the 1960s, and the most recent in Boca Chica in 2010.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/isaf/shark-attacks-maps-data/north-america/caribbean/

There is one from February, 2016 that isn't listed on the ISAF, but is listed on the Global Shark Attack File. A woman was attacked but survived in Bavaro while wading.

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/gsaf/attack/dominican_republic/altagracia_province/2016.02.12

So according to the agencies that keep track of shark attacks, there has only been one non-fatal attack on the East Coast of the DR.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It is also important to note that while Blue sharks are considered Near Threatened and not Vulnerable or Endangered, they have only been responsible for 13 total attacks world wide.

They are more likely to be responsible for attacks during air or sea disasters, such as the USS Indianapolis incident, than random beach attacks. That being said, species identification is often not recorded unless the shark is easy to identify or is caught during an attack.

On the south coast at Boca Chica there are always dried Nurse sharks for sale along the road to the public beach, so I would assume they are plentiful there. These are easy to identify but still have only been held responsible for 3 attacks worldwide and are fairly docile.

The fatal attack in 2010 at Boca Chica did not identify a species, so who knows? There is a thread about the brothers who hunt sharks and recently brought up a big Tiger at Santo Domingo, so there are large predatory sharks in DR waters.
Given the number of sharks vs the number of people that go into the water each year, they have a lot more reason to be afraid of us than vice versa. As an apex predator their removal from the eco-system would obviously have detrimental effects.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Education. Education of the species of sharks that do inhabit these waters. Education of why we need them in the ecosystem. Education on the lack of threat they actually pose. Education on how to act if you are lucky enough to see one. EDUCATION

Lack of threat? tell that to the surfers who have been attacked by sharks