Mosquitoes and a tree/plant (una mata) which keeps them off(?)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It gets to about 40 feet and grows about 2 feet a year. It is a big tree.

I have noticed some trees actually can be put into pots and this significantly stunts their growth, is there any way that anybody has tried it with this tree?

Mar 2, 2008
The following is from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bonsai
Bonsai are not genetically dwarfed plants. They are created from nearly any tree or shrub species and remain small through pot confinement and crown or root pruning. Some specific species are more sought after for use as bonsai material. This is because they have characteristics that make them appropriate for the smaller design arrangements of bonsai.

[edit] Techniques

This juniper makes extensive use of both jin (deadwood branches) and shari (trunk deadwood).The small size of the tree and the dwarfing of foliage result from pruning of both the leaves and the roots. Most trees require a dormancy period and do not grow roots or leaves at that time. Improper pruning has weakened or killed trees.[3]

Copper or aluminum wire wrapped around branches and trunks holds the branches in place until they lignify (converts into wood). Some species do not lignify strongly, or are already too stiff/brittle to be shaped and are not conducive to wiring, in which case shaping is accomplished primarily through pruning.[3]

Cultivators use deadwood features called jin and shari to simulate age and maturity in a bonsai. Jin is the term used when the bark from an entire branch is removed to create the impression of a snag of deadwood. Shari denotes stripping bark from areas of the trunk to simulate natural scarring from a broken limb or lightning strike.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Many trees do very well in pots. It is usually a question of pruning and root structure. Bonsai are a good example.

Bonsai is not a tree. Bonsai is the japanese word for the pruning of a root structure and a branch structure in order to miniaturize otherwise full grown trees. Certain types of trees are more suitable to be bonsai. It is a form of art. I don't think a neem tree will be a good tree to 'bonsai' but it certainly is possible. Make sure you have enough time, take a course or two or read a book or two and plant quite a few .. you're gonna kill some!

Mar 2, 2008
Bonsai
"Bonsai are not genetically dwarfed plants. They are created from nearly any tree or shrub species and remain small through pot confinement and crown or root pruning. Some specific species are more sought after for use as bonsai material. This is because they have characteristics that make them appropriate for the smaller design arrangements of bonsai." Maple, apple, fir are several that are used.

I have read the books and gone to the classes and created Bonsai-like trees. True Bonsai are only created in Japan.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Neem tolerates pruning very well. That's why I mentioned that you can top them off, leaving about 12' of remaining tree, with a few branches with leaves to support what's left, and taking all of the branches above (normally 2" to 4" in diameter, and 10' to 20' long) for use as fenceposts, or charcoal manufacture, or just plain wood. The branches will regrow in two or three or four years, and you can do it again and again.

IF you give the tree water, it will grow very quickly in the early years. Later, when mature, if you stop giving it water, yes, it will then grow about 2' a year from then on. During the rainy season, there is no reason to water, but it does help the trees during the dry season.

I am no Johnny Appleseed, but I have contributed a few hundred neem trees to the earth's environment here in the Caribbean, and lost none once they were in the ground. I started all from seeds in 6" pots, let them get up to 2' tall, and then transplanted them into the ground, with an earth ring of about 3' diameter around each one to hold the water I gave them. I also added some peat moss to the soil that I packed around their roots, in order to hold the water better, and to give the little trees a bit of a boost when they were rooting in the beginning.

J

John Evans

it looks like something i have in my garden - do the berries go yellow orange and smell sweet
media

they attract a lot of fruit flies but not sure about keeping mozzies away... i heard horse mint is the best for keeping the little pests away

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
That's it! The flowers smell quite nice too, when blooming.

Why don't you pluck off 5 or 6 leaves, and chew on them for 5 or 10 minutes, (and then spit them out) and let everyone know your opinion of their taste? (just don't swallow the leaves or you will get the runs later, hehe)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lemon Grass

Lemon Grass is also a Mosquitoe repellent and is abundant in the DR. People make tea with it. Just ask anyone where you can get Yerba de Limonsillo. You need to crack (crush) the leaves, though, to get the lemonly smell, which repels mosquitoes.

Reactions: Lucille and Rocky

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Lemon Grass is also a Mosquitoe repellent and is abundant in the DR. People make tea with it. Just ask anyone where you can get Yerba de Limonsillo. You need to crack (crush) the leaves, though, to get the lemonly smell, which repels mosquitoes.

Thanks.
Yes there are several Lemon-xyz plants... but they don't seem to work universally on mosquitoes.
FAU (Fla. At'l University) has made some extensive studies and products are on the US market based on the "citronelle" findings... I have some here and had limited results.
So, I am still locking for my Neem tree.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Best Fast Growing Shade Tree

So is the "nim" the best fast growing shade tree to choose? Or is it very messy with falling berries, etc?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
If anybody on the North Coast finds the small pot version of this tree, I would like to try one on the balcony. Does it have any effect on animals? Cats or dogs? Sounds very interesting and I am learning to be a container (some large) gardener!!! (lol)
Thanks for any imput.

leenott

Jan 19, 2011
I am trying to find a way of getting either a Neem tree or seeds.
I live near Sosua, and was told today by a lady who rescues dogs here that there was a plantation of Neem trees about 6-7 years ago, and she thought around Sabanete. Do you have any idea where this might be, or would you be able to tell me the trees you know of are ? If possible, if you had access to some seeds and could send some, I would be very grateful. Have been googling on and off for hours today trying to find some !
Thank you.
lee Nottle:

May 29, 2006
For mosquito control in your house, here's a great little DIY method that works really well.

A little yeast in the bottom emits CO2 that drives them crazy. You'll be amazed how many you catch.
Mosquito/Insect Trap

Very interesting and simple idea. I've seen fly traps like that but yeast as a CO2 generator is brilliant. I've been mobbed by black flies using a mower and found that they were more attracted to the running mower than me.

Another thing you can do is provide shelters for house geckos. They like something they can hide in during the day on a wall. I see them behind porch lights and sometimes behind paintings. The geckos are active at night and the anoles are active during the day.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have used all sorts of "trapping" systems. They either use a special light, some sort of CO2 generation or both and sometimes a ventilator device which helps sucking the suckers in and keep'em in to die a slow and well deserved death.

The problem with these systems is, that they all ATTRACT mosquitoes by the means of the light and/or CO2, while yes, many do get caught NOT ALL get trapped and so many attracted wondering what the deal is, netting you about an equal amount of mosquitoes still buzzing around blood thirsty.
So, unless you have a LARGE property and have a corner you do not much care for and wish to declare to be your own Mosquito Central... a spot as FAR AWAY from the spots where you wish to have LESS of these beasts... it does not prove a better than then using repellents and/or nets.

Based on this rationale and experiences, I decided to try the "other" approach; repelling! I have tried to use small fans dissipating "Geraniol", after having read that FAU (Florida Atlantic University) found that it was effective in keeping mosquitoes AWAY. I got a BIG box full or refills and 3 fans... still got most of the refills here... unused. Needless to say, I had little success.

Bottom line, quality mosquito netting on ALL openings throughout the house would seem a first step, and a good, generously sized mosquito canopy over each bed (not the shabby ones they sell here which are consistently designed for beds TWO sizes SMALLER than the one they are sold for). Google yourself a good one from sellers in the US. I got mine off ebay.

I still have hopes in the Neem tree option, but never got one.

... J-D.