Moving back to DR (north coast) when I retire: do or don't

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
If you're from Santo Domingo, why would you choose the North Coast?

As for the rest of your concerns... Stop worrying. Worrying does not resolve anything and will only shorten your life.

You can probably find your daily meds here and more than likely a generic for a lot less.

And yes, you'll be much happier in the D.R. guaranteed, unless you live on the North Coast.
I'm with you JD! No power or water on the NC. Motos coming at you from all directions. Incompetent maintenance workers. Need I go on? The NC is a hellhole!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I feel neglected: my future area, the east coast, has been left out of the equation, even if it's the armpit/Newark/Cleveland of the D.R.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
And all this time I thought John Denver was born in Roswell, NM, about 4 years before ET touched down.

Who woulda thunk it?!

Calos G-Diaz

Apr 15, 2020
Please help me understand what is wrong with NC? I realize that some posters here, living in NC, constantly complain, but perhaps that does not equal everyone's experience? Also good to point out that I don't know the whole NC, only really POP and Cabarete, but those are unfortunately included when people say that NC is s**t or something else...

So, I feel like maybe I've stepped into the middle of a debate about the North Coast that I am completely unaware of. Fill me in :)

Background: I was born in Santo Domingo, lived there until I was 4 or so, and also lived in Bonao (Bario de los Gringos lol), VillaAltagrcia and a couple of other places. I have connections to Sosua and Puerto Plata (used to go there during the summers, great memories of that). I like it better than the South Coast, for strictly personal reasons, but what do I know? I haven't lived there for the majority of my life. I have about 10-15 years before I retire (really looking forward to it) but it's never too early to start planning.

< you are much better served in Cabarete

Yes, Cabarete is one of the places that I'm looking at, but apparently, the north coast is full of Dominican hicks. I've lived in Bonao, where my family owns houses and a large cattle ranch (used to be at least, that was long ago). I have lived in cities, and I have lived on finca. I like the country.

Muchas gracias a todos por la ayuda.

Reactions: CristoRey

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I apologize, I was just trying to rib some of our NC guys.

Remember, I lived up there for almost 6 years and would still be there if it was for a job offer.
Oh no, no apologies needed... got your point as well, did not think of that! :)

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So, I feel like maybe I've stepped into the middle of a debate about the North Coast that I am completely unaware of. Fill me in :)

Background: I was born in Santo Domingo, lived there until I was 4 or so, and also lived in Bonao (Bario de los Gringos lol), VillaAltagrcia and a couple of other places. I have connections to Sosua and Puerto Plata (used to go there during the summers, great memories of that). I like it better than the South Coast, for strictly personal reasons, but what do I know? I haven't lived there for the majority of my life. I have about 10-15 years before I retire (really looking forward to it) but it's never too early to start planning.

Yes, Cabarete is one of the places that I'm looking at, but apparently, the north coast is full of Dominican hicks. I've lived in Bonao, where my family owns houses and a large cattle ranch (used to be at least, that was long ago). I have lived in cities, and I have lived on finca. I like the country.

I don't think it's that much of a debate, just that understandably some members have may have experienced also negative things in various locations on the North Coast. I agree, there are locations we as a family would never step into (Sosua for example, aside from the gated communities like Hispaniola or Casa Linda), but that does not mean that the whole coast is bad... Also, a very respected member on this board, William Webster, who unfortunately passed away recently, was promoting Cabrera for a long time, as he lived there and seemed to enjoy the location. Obviously, some hick-ups there as well but nothing that significant.

I have to admit, I will always defend the city of Puerto Plata (not the province, just the city), as that is our home base in the DR (my wife, born in the capital, raised and went to school in POP). Everyone close to use live there, and I aside from the traffic and occasional damaged streets, I have no complaints of the place and we have also lived there for 7 years. Many people say that POP is just a huge slum, but I disagree. It has many very nice areas. The only thing I don't miss from there are the motorcycles. I could live without those but I know the economy of POP could not, so have to live with it...

Aside from POP, the only other place important for us is Cabarete for the restaurants and the beach. You can even spend time everywhere there as a family. I wouldn't mind living there, if there was something for all of us...

Reactions: Lucifer

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
North Coast is a nice place to visit for a day or two.
That area of the country has a long a way to go before I'd ever consider living up there again.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm with you JD! No power or water on the NC. Motos coming at you from all directions. Incompetent maintenance workers. Need I go on? The NC is a hellhole!
Some truth but where are there less motos than mosquitoes en DR?

Reactions: drstock

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I've lived in POP for several years. The power occasionally goes out for a few hours (maybe every other week?), but not often enough to complain about. Never a problem for water, but I know other towns have that issue. Motos? Yes, but when I went to SD last month for residency renewal, I thought the traffic and the motos weaving in and out was terrible too. Can't lump the entire NC into a hellhole category.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To the north coast or West Virginia
The John Denver place. When my ancestors (on my mother's side) came over from England, Germany, and Holland (1700s), a group of them went to Virginia and West Virginia near Harrisonburg, intermarried and some ended up in Ontario then spread west.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The John Denver place. When my ancestors (on my mother's side) came over from England, Germany, and Holland (1700s), a group of them went to Virginia and West Virginia near Harrisonburg, intermarried and some ended up in Ontario then spread west.
W.V has many coal mines. Underground and surface.$$$

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002

Many well-intentioned posters have given you feedback on your post. However, you have to ask yourself where are you most comfortable
Hello everyone:

Has anyone born in DR, who lived 99% of their lives in the US, is a US citizen and loves the states, decided to move back to DR when they retire? Or is it enough to go on vacations there once in a while and stay in the states.

Background info:
I came to the US when I was very young and there was already 1 generation of my family that had been in the states prior to me, so I do consider myself "American", whatever that means. However, I must be getting old or something, because I'm constantly thinking about my childhood memories in Santo Domingo and feeling like I would like to go back. I have deep connections to both countries (relatives in both countries), but I don't know if it makes any practical sense for me to go back. I will have a pension and enough savings to live comfortable in either place.
Potential Issues:
* would have to travel to the US to maintain citizenship
* dual taxation?
* better access to medical care in the US (I have a chronic health condition for which I take daily medication for, don't know how much that would cost in DR).

Benefits:
* miss the island and the culture, want to connect back to it.
* dollar/peso exchange rate: money can probably do more in DR.

Muchas gracias todos.
Many good people have replied to your post. Thanks to them. It seems you're waffling about where to go to settle down. The simple solution is to ask yourself is what place you have been most comfortable? You have to make your decision. A good idea is to decide to try a conditional location for a period of time. If it does not fit your comfort zone after a while... move.

Regards,

PJT