My attempt to get Residencia Definitiva not going well

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would go with Guzman on this
Or HBs general

It’s an irregular situation ... rare enough... to call for sophisticated help

I do not think you’ll need to start over totally... hopefully

I will know early next week what can be done in my "regularization". Others have already replied that I need to just do what I was told under the regulation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
bob suanders. As I mentioned, I woulda, coulda, shoulda before regarding citizenship. Getting citizenship requires me to get back to having this problem resolved. I cannot just go straight to being a citizen under my current circumstances, or I certainly would. It was one of my many questions and the answer was no, not until this is cleared up.

Feb 7, 2007
Rubio posted otherwise- so I wrote my experience

I agree with you ... not him

I didn't post otherwise.

You most likely misunderstood. I posted about Temp to Permanent, where they count from date of application (apparently), as per the content of their response letter to a request to change residency category.

What was meant to say that the "residency duration" for whatever purpose, seems to be from the day you apply rather than from the day you get your card. For temporary to permanent category change that would mean your 5 years of temporary residency starts to (apparently) count from the day you apply for temporary, not from the day you get your first temporary residency card. Same way, for the purposes of Definitiva, the 10 year period would presumably start from the day you have applied for your first Permanent residency rather than from the day you got your first permanent residency card.

If you understood that a 10 year period necessary for Definitiva starts from the day you apply for your first temporary residency then I am sorry for the confusion.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Dealing with fines and missing years would cause a bit more rage for me since I have my first permanent residency card from 2004 and of course my recent card. I don't think the Permanent Residencies are at question from that I was told by the lawyer for Guzman Ariza. It is the one year temporary residency that has an irregularity.

In my specific situation, the worst case scenario is a regulation just for this issue that is actually called a "regularization", with one year of temporary residency and then all of my permanent residency periods once again magically do count for me. That is, if the lawyer for Guzman Ariza is correct, and she had all of the paperwork that Migracion sent to me for her review when telling me this. The regulation is "Resolucion DEM-1-2012, para la Regularizacion de Procedimientos de Residencias con irregularidades de Procesos." A Dominican Time Machine.

I think she is right, that is exactly what I had to do! Read my earlier post. Pain in the ass, but at least you don´t have to go back and apply from your home country. Then it is interesting that she says that your earlier periods should count... Please keep me updated if that is the case

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Slightly at a tangent, but I just want to let you know of my experience when applying for citizenship. I am married to a Dominican, passed all the language and knowledge of DR requirements, but finally pulled out of the process. The reason for this was that I discovered that the citizenship, and cedula, would have to be issued in my maiden name (i.e. the last name on my birth certificate). I have been married before and still use my first husband's last name. If I had gone forward with my citizenship my DR documents would not have conformed with my documents from the UK and I did not wish to have to change my name there. This is just a note to any women who might be thinking of taking the citizenship route, if this would be a problem for them.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Citizenship is issued in the name on your birth certificate. When you go with your Dominican birth certificate to get your cedula you take your marriage cert should you be married. Your cedula is then issued in the name on your original birth cert plus your husband's last name. They wanted to do it the Dominican way and give me my Christian names, plus surname of my father plus surname of my mother, then de then my husband's surname. Given that my parents had the same surnames (on my birth cert) they agreed to just use one of them. Clear as mud?!

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I never use my segundo apellido, even though it's a Spanish one and the previous generation of my mother's side of the family used to follow that custom. My mum just took my dad's surname but encouraged both of her daughters to keep ours.

My son uses both surnames so in English-speaking countries his segundo apellido - my surname - is considered his main surname.

Adding on de [husband's primer apellido] is not that common any more.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
pay under the table and all this goes away,,,,,hello Mcfly that's what they want you to do that's why they make the process so hard ...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
pay under the table and all this goes away,,,,,hello Mcfly that's what they want you to do that's why they make the process so hard ...

Not at all what Migracion or the lawyers I have received responses from so far are telling me at this time. So far I have been advised to do what the letter from the head of Migracion has told me to do.

I do have another response still pending, this one from DR1's own legal firm who promised to get back to me yesterday......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IPKnightly probably thinks the fingerprints at the airport are voluntary....

Slide $5 in the passport and they let you walk.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just got a call from Santo Domingo Migracion regarding the review of my case. There is a ray of hope. More to be found out tomorrow.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A ray of hope = Yet another opportunity to extend the disappointment.

It would be a nice win to get this mess sorted out. Good luck.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just got a call from Santo Domingo Migracion regarding the review of my case. There is a ray of hope. More to be found out tomorrow.

Don't worry the rules will change tomorrow at 8 AM and a new process will need to be initiated