My attempt to get Residencia Definitiva not going well

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Somebody earlier opined that an early arrival didn't seem to guarantee an earlier exit at DGM.

I tend to agree... I have been early, early and then a bit later...
didn't seem to matter...

My lawyer gets there at 8:30 and takes a number....

This last renewal - two separates - me & wife....... done by 12 - 1pm....
with an 8:30 start

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you need to submit any paperwork to DGM in Santo Domingo, you have to do that before 1 PM. So keep that in mind.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Somebody earlier opined that an early arrival didn't seem to guarantee an earlier exit at DGM.

I tend to agree... I have been early, early and then a bit later...
didn't seem to matter...

My lawyer gets there at 8:30 and takes a number....

This last renewal - two separates - me & wife....... done by 12 - 1pm....
with an 8:30 start
We are told to meet out lawyer at 9am, and we walk out with the cedula by noon-1pm.

Windy, I know you don't like lawyers. But the one we and numerous other DR1ers use at the suggestion of Hillbilly is honest, does an excellent job, knows her way around DGM---she used to work there---and has very reasonable fees.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We are told to meet out lawyer at 9am, and we walk out with the cedula by noon-1pm.

Windy, I know you don't like lawyers. But the one we and numerous other DR1ers use at the suggestion of Hillbilly is honest, does an excellent job, knows her way around DGM---she used to work there---and has very reasonable fees.

You are right. I don't like lawyers and will not use one unless there is no other option from this point forward. To this point, I have not found them to be a "good value".

It sounds like the lawyer you use was part of the problem. Hopefully she is now part of a solution, at least for you and her clients.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right CB... I think starting at 8:30 --9:30am gets you out in the early afternoon

Then the Junta....and home

I've taken to staying the night before... dinner, decent wake-up time....less stress

Windy- you're being stubborn.....but whatever makes you happy !!
hahaha
I hope it all comes together in May for you

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Right CB... I think starting at 8:30 --9:30am gets you out in the early afternoon

Then the Junta....and home

I've taken to staying the night before... dinner, decent wake-up time....less stress
Ditto. We go the afternoon before, run errands (like Tuto & Francisco) and have a nice dinner somewhere.

We do our favorite cabana thing at Luperon/Malecon that includes a basic breakfast, so it's a pleasant morning drive on the Malecon to DGM. We're back in Jarabacoa in the afternoon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Update on my "Special Regularization"

After waiting for 120 days after filing all of the paperwork in Santo Domingo Migracion without using a lawyer, we tried to call Migracion and find out the status of my new "regularized" residency status. It was impossible to get an answer on the telephone. We got through one time to a fellow that wanted to be helpful and he had me send my information to him via email. The only problem was that the email addresss was not a functional one. No surprises here.

So we went to the Migracion Office in Puerto Plata and they checked the status for me. They have some type of magic number they can call which is not available to the rest of us. They found out my status was "approved and ready" and told me I can indeed go anytime and pick up my next residency card in Santo Domingo. I will have to pay $600 RD for the months since my last residency expired and $12,000 RD for my new 4 year Permanent Residency card. All along they have been telling me that I was going to get a one year Temporary Residency card and the following year I would be getting Permanent Residency cards again. The only way I will know for sure what card I will have is to go and get it, which I will do soon.

The other thing I will be doing soon, if the card is indeed a Permanent one, is to start the citizenship process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yahooooo

I said earlier that hopefully May would bring the results you wanted...

Look at this..... temprano and full status

Get jumping on the citizenship

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
After waiting for 120 days after filing all of the paperwork in Santo Domingo Migracion without using a lawyer, we tried to call Migracion and find out the status of my new "regularized" residency status. It was impossible to get an answer on the telephone. We got through one time to a fellow that wanted to be helpful and he had me send my information to him via email. The only problem was that the email addresss was not a functional one. No surprises here.

So we went to the Migracion Office in Puerto Plata and they checked the status for me. They have some type of magic number they can call which is not available to the rest of us. They found out my status was "approved and ready" and told me I can indeed go anytime and pick up my next residency card in Santo Domingo. I will have to pay $600 RD for the months since my last residency expired and $12,000 RD for my new 4 year Permanent Residency card. All along they have been telling me that I was going to get a one year Temporary Residency card and the following year I would be getting Permanent Residency cards again. The only way I will know for sure what card I will have is to go and get it, which I will do soon.

The other thing I will be doing soon, if the card is indeed a Permanent one, is to start the citizenship process.

If you are married to a Dominican you do not even need permanent residency. I went from Temporary residency, third renewal to citizenship.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete

Please can you give me the lawyers contact info. I have always used one and I prefer doing it that way due to the hassle. Does anyone know if you can still do the medical test in Puerto Plata?

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Tee, yes I've known people do the medical in PP fairly recently. I didn't need one as I was going for definativa.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are married to a Dominican you do not even need permanent residency. I went from Temporary residency, third renewal to citizenship.

That is not what I was told by anyone as of yet. I was told that I must have permanent residency before I can apply for citizenship and they know I am married to a Dominican woman. But, the people in the government offices are not very knowledgeable.

Hopefully that will be a moot point for me since I was told I will have permanent residency as soon as I collect the card in Santo Domingo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I seem to remember 6 months of residency was the threshold....
If married to a Dominican

I was told I needed Permanent Residency recently, perhaps they did not realize I was legally married since so few people are here. As I said, hopefully it is a moot point.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I wonder if these collective changes over the past few years are intended to discourage applications or an attempt to reduce the overall workload that is presently backlogged?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Changed to 2 years last year.

Matilda

Thanks...

seems to changing all over the world...

Not long ago in the US - Green Card- marriage jumped you to top priority...
Not any more..... down the list to #3 or something

My daughter just did it

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Very true that the requirements are changing all of the time for residency and for citizenship. The residency process is very different from when I did it back in 2003. And their screw up in Migracion for whatever the real reason was that I had to go through a special regularization remains unknown. There was no admission of any fault on their part, yet I have always done everything asked of me.

Hopefully in the next week or two I will have residency back and be able to start the procedure for citizenship.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The system is insane. Everything about the process is insane. The cost of the process is insane. The back and forth to Santo Domingo is insane. The time-consuming process of being sent back and forth for this and that paper, getting it stamped, and then authorized, and then approved, and the re-approved is insane.

I don't see the logic of the process unless you plan on spending the rest of your life in the DR.

I watched Big Red go through the crazy process--back and forth to SD, over and over again, only to be sent back to wait for this or that paper to be approved, and then back to SD again, only be told midstream, "Oh yeah, sorry, the laws have changed again, you need to do this now!"

Meanwhile half of Big Red's Russian friends--many who have lived here twice as long as she has...have never bothered applying for anything. Ever. And have no plans to either. They leave once a year and go back home, pay the exit fee, and then come back. They have never bothered to apply for anything. They have no plans to apply for anything. Meanwhile, many of them have been here 18+yrs. They're not going anywhere.

It's crazy. the whole system reeks of backwards, inefficient, 3rd world Kafkaesque redundancy. The entire process seems completely unnecessary when you can just leave every year and pay an exit fee.

if you want to live here without residency--and thousands of people do without a single problem--why not do it until they officially start cracking down....which they always threaten to do, but haven't got around to even initiating anything remotely close to it.

There was this threat of round-up of foreigners a couple of years ago--loading them onto buses, before realizing 'Oh, yeah, some of these people might just be tourists!" That lasted for all of 2-days..never to be repeated again. "Oops, we're sorry!"

Almost everyone of Big Red's friends are living in the DR without going through this crazy, Kafkaesque process. Meanwhile, all these North Americans are jumping through hoops, made to run through hurdles, and swim against the current...for what? Because of some perceived threat that something is going to happen? Wait until the government gets their sh11t together and start initiating and enforcing some these ever shape-shifting laws...which, by the way, may not start until long after most people on here are dead.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed that the residency process is very tedious.

Frank12, I have only one residence and that is in Cabarete. My main reason for being a legal resident in the DR is because it is the only place I can currently get a driver's license.

That is the short answer on why I needed residency to begin with back in 2003. It was easier then. My recent regularization was more difficult then the entire initial residency back when I did that. If everything I had was not here, and I was just a single guy renting, I would have left the country for parts unknown over this regularization issue