My dog might have eat rat poison - help

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I got the impression that he lived on the moon. Difficult to think anyone could live in the city and NOT know you can find anything almost any time. Amazing, 5 pages of nonesense.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
well fwiw i went to a pet care shop yest and did as they told me. I asked extra question here to see if theres anything better i can do - wich i did again.

But thanks HUG, for trying to make me feel like an idiot, while my dog might be sick - hopefully not.

Oh and please, just gfy.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
But thanks HUG, for trying to make me feel like an idiot, while my dog might be sick - hopefully not.

Oh and please, just gfy.

'I' did no such thing. You however did not have the foresight to know that in the city there could well be a 24/7 vet, nor the foresight to know that on DR1 there is not much you can ask about Santo Domingo that can not be answered in minutes, and just ask us.

I don't believe you now, even Padela is open part time weekends, Saturday and Sunday. So even if you do drive around the capital with your eyes shut, have never bought a newspaper or do not know how to ask a question of your neighbour or colmados, comprehend google, you should surely of heard of Padela, who have emergency medicine for such things.
I don't know about others but I figured as you didn't ask, then you must know your are miles from anything remotely veterinary.

It is impossible that you looked online for 24 hour vet in santo domingo and couldn't have found one! I won't embarrass you by listing the amount of hits I got from my first search on google.

Last edited:

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
'I' did no such thing. You however did not have the foresight to know that in the city there could well be a 24/7 vet, nor the foresight to know that on DR1 there is not much you can ask about Santo Domingo that can not be answered in minutes, and just ask us.

I don't believe you now, even Padela is open part time weekends, Saturday and Sunday. So even if you do drive around the capital with your eyes shut, have never bought a newspaper or do not know how to ask a question of your neighbour or colmados, comprehend google, you should surely of heard of Padela, who have emergency medicine for such things.
I don't know about others but I figured as you didn't ask, then you must know your are miles from anything remotely veterinary.

You don't believe me about what exactly ?

I went to 4 different vets - all closed. Also had to do a bunch of pharmacy before finding the vitamin K, everyone i was calling yest didnt have in stock.

I could - and should have search a little bit more tho, you are totally right about that.

Anyway important thing right now is that my dog looks ok/happy/active as usual, i did everything that was recommended to do and im bringing tom morning to the vet.

Thanks all for the help / recomendation.

Sep 4, 2012
Ask Mr Google.....he knows everything. Good luck with the dog at the vet and hopefully nothing goes beyond 5 pages of DR1.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
By now it seems the dog will be ok.
Maybe you could train your dog to eat only what you feed him instead of anything he finds randomly? That should help a lot if bad guys try to poison him in order to break into your house later on...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Where i live, really doubt anybody would poison dogs. Theres camera almost everywhere - including streets and high security.

Also never leave my dog loose in the street. Either he walks with me or hes inside my yard :)

Its an interesting suggestion and i will keep it in mind, thanks!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Where i live, really doubt anybody would poison dogs. Theres camera almost everywhere - including streets and high security.

Also never leave my dog loose in the street. Either he walks with me or hes inside my yard :)

Why do you say no one would poison dogs where you live?

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Its not 100% sure, but he might have ate one of the blue blocks of poison rat that was around our house.

I had him attach to a leach for last 5 days since we put some around the house but i completely forgot him for 5 minutes and one of the blue block disapear, it just happen 1 hr ago so all the vets are close. I stopped at a pet care center near my house and they told me to mix carbon / leche / 1 yellow egg and give it to him - wich i did.

Anyone have experience with this, is there anything i can do to be sure my dog is ok? I will bring him to the vet tomorrow if its open but any tips would be helpful

Thanks
Blue/green blocks are made by Eaton all weather - there is an emetic ?cream of tartar makes cats dogs throw up ? rats mice can not puke. Dog should fine - ATrophine is used ? just give him milk

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
If I knew his weight I can get that for you...You should start giving fluids under his skin anyways to keep hi hydrated and to keep flushing anything out of his system...You Admin just as 8 suggested, pull up skin, insert syringe with needle using Dextrose and/or Ringers which you can get at the Pharma as well..But don't waste any more time, get activated Charcoal just in case...If he did eat that poison, its going to kick in quickly and can die by renal failure which is a very cruel process...However, I don't think he did if your not seeing anything now is what? 24 hours already...

I gived him a lot of milk in last 2 days, i finally found a pharmacy today that wasnt closed and had injection of vitamin K

I cant find any information online where to do it and how much to give him.

Hes a goldon retriever - 8 months

He looks good still, still the same dog as usual. He puked once after i gived him a lot of milk.

Dv8 any idea for the dose ?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Little update on my doggy Vito!

I bringed him to the vet this morning, she called me saying they will keep him for tonight, if tom morning he looks ok he can come back home, i have to give him Vitamina K1 for 3 weeks and everything should be fine.