My favorite Radiostation

L

Loren

P.R. Underground

I don't like old tired reggae but I do like the modern stuff like beenie man, cutty ranks, super cat. I like some of the older stuff, but I get tired of these old guys living in the past like the beatles fan who go out every year and buy new compilations of the same old tunes.

I like the Puerto Rican Underground music, but they are not putting out too much worth hearing right now. Maybe it peaked back around 96 and 97 and is getting stale. I used to like the stuff by Don Chezina, Nico Canada and Tony Touch. Chezzi Don was the baddest. Once we went to see him in concert in the Santo Domingo on the East Side somewhere and the tigueres started fighting before the concert and they cancelled the show. Don Chezina was actually rapping his way through college. He was studying to be a cardiologist at the same time he was making all those hits in San Juan.

Is anyone down with Ilya Kuriyaki or D.J. Dero from Argentina?

L

Lyse

Re: Real brutes drink Presidente from the bottle

I never drank a beer from the bottle. As a matter of fact, in my family, we were not even allowed to drink a coca-cola from the bottle. It was considered "de mauvais go?t". Hope you will not answer "How disgusting" this time.

L

Loren

de mauvais go?t

Is that like "maleducado" or something? Sounds Haitian. Could you drink coke from a can? Could you eat pica pollo and les hamburgeuse with your hands or did you have to use a fork?

P

Pib

Au contraire!

Hey Loren,

Give the kid a break, she's probably French-Canadian, which means that most probably she actually understands what she wrote. Besides, if you want to strike people as "educated" you have to know an assortment of those cute French phrases that you can throw here and there. Don't be scared to misuse them, nobody really understands anyways. Every time you say something like "joie de vivre", "bon-vivant", "savoir-faire" "comme il faut" "enfant terrible" or "femme fatale" you make people think you are smart.

You can acusse me of lacking "savoir-faire", but if you give me a RD$ for every beer I've drunk from the bottle...

Auf Wiedersehen

L

Lyse

Re: de mauvais go?t

You could translate "manque de go?t" by "lack of good taste". I used the french word simply because I didn't know how to say it in English. Esa noche voy a acostarme m?s sabia.
As for the coke by the can when did it appear?? I don't remember havind seen it when I was younger younger..
I hope the best "proper way" to eat pica pollo and hamburger will remain with the fingers (or hands as you said it).

Pib, I wish I was still a kid.

L

Loren

You forgot: "Menagerie aux trois!"

Actually took French in High School, but like Arabic I forgot most of it. I remember some of the important stuff. I had a dumb reason for taking French. I used to read fishing magazines when I was a little kid and they had these romanticized Jack London type stories that made it sound like all the Canadian indian guides up in Nunavut only spoke French and if you wanted to catch a big Muskie (esox masquinongy) you absolutely had to speak french or you would get eaten by an oso pardo. Only later did I realize that those were paid placements by the bloque quebecois to keep francophone culture alive.

M

Meredith

How Rude

Why can't everyone just appreciate everyone's elses tastes. The world wouldn't be half as interesting as it is, if we liked all the same types of things. Saying bachata is for low life scums is very offensive and I know a lot of individuals in the D.R. that listen to it and definently do not fall into this catergory.
I love and appreciate every type of music in it's own sense, from bachata, to merengue, to salsa, to reggae, to urban styles.