native Spanish speaker calls DR "The Dominican"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Similar or worse caliber to what, Larry? To PR's and O&C's drug dealer, abuse charges

Please post a verbatem example of where I called you a drug dealer and an abuser or kindly stop saying it.

XanaduRanch said:
Why Larry is it OK to have people suggest that someone be set on fire. Why?

There goes the beer shooting out of my nose again.

XanaduRanch said:
Rob's stopping by Xanadu [this] weekend.

You're in trouble now, Larry. He's the teacher's favorite ... and he's gonna tell on you!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
What will it take to shut this down, anyway?

I apologize for starting such an idiotic debate. I am at fault here.

For the record, I think Jane's a ditz, Porfi's a stud, Larry's a boob, XR is full of himself, and Nelly is right.

MG

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
The original post So, should we quit bothering people about calling it "The Dominican"?Quote:

A few observations
From my point of view "the Domincan" is an abbreviation of the Dominican Republic and I it say often when speaking with non Dominicans.I always use Republica Dominicana when I speak to Dominicans(I find it easy to pronounce)
In casual conversation I think that we all say things that are grammatically incorrect.so i dont understand when someone trys to claim that there own views
are shared by everyone.
XR
"Languages and words are important to me. I happen to study them. That's a crime? I have pointed out here that my sole objection is that this grates on English speakers ears because it is an adjective, indistinguishable from a word describing a citizen of the country in question."

It doesn't grate on my ears nor other posters here.
XR you can preach about this for ever but it wont change anything.
If you click on the following link you will see what I mean
http://www.presidencia.gov.do/Ingles/noticias-2002/Diciembre/121202/noti2.htm
This is a common mistake especially by the world wide media.
I'm amazed that this thread is still open, so much hostility.
Not very moderate XR.
Terry.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Dear God! This again?

ditz ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dts)
n. Slang
A scatterbrained or eccentric person.

To quote the illustrious Eminem: I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am? RADIO WON'T EVEN PLAY MY JAM!

XanaduRanch wrote:Really? Change your tag. Go ahead! Bet you can't! For as long as I have been reading DR1 that has been Robert's perogative, so you're just plain wrong.

Robert, this is the part the where you step in and say something on my behalf. Upstanding member of the DR1 community, blah blah blah, can change tag at any time... (Does anyone get the feeling that NO ONE is moderating this forum?)

Furthermore, XR, I only said that your ignorance could get you set on fire. Inflammable does not mean "unburnable." So. there. If you found my analogy to be in poor taste, I sincerely apologize, but I felt a dose of "fire" your way was long overdue. In other words, tu suckus. That's Latin. It means you suck. If that comment hurts you, perhaps you could put yourself in the shoes of the countless people you harass and insult all the time.

And when I see you one day in Sosua, perhaps at a DR1 function or something, what will we do? Tear each other to shreds? This is horrible, and for the record - I don't like it. You're mean.. and so am I!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:ermm: I have this feeling that all the moderators went out drinking and forgot to invite me.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
One more thing I can't leave unsaid...

You claim, XR, that you never insult people unprovoked, yet throughout this thread, you call people that call "the Dominican" idiots, uneducated hicks, ignorant, backwoods...how in the world was this provoked? I'm sure these people used these words solely for the purpose of annoying you and provoking you to the point of sounding like a raving lunatic.
Or do those insults fall under the same category as "stupid cow", which to you, is not really an insult?

I would suggest that everyone who has sent a pm or e-mail (now 11 and counting...) to me to forward those same PM's to Robert. I seriously don't know what he is thinking, having XR as a moderator. Do his sponsors want to be represented in this way? I think not...

And you made me laugh out loud, XR, saying people are sending you PM's in support of your slamming and insulting everybody on this board. XR, you are so full of ****, give you an enema, there'd be nothing left of you...

Okay, now I'm really done. Go ahead and tell me I'm once again proving your point...everytime you say that, it makes you look even more foolish!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Reading & No Comprehension

trina said:
You claim, XR, that you never insult people unprovoked, yet throughout this thread, you call people that call "the Dominican" idiots, uneducated hicks ... raving lunatic ... XR, you are so full of ****, give you an enema, there'd be nothing left of you ... foolish!

I never called anyone that. The exact quote, is: "It's a difference in caring about whether or not you're perceived as an uneducated hick every time you open your mouth." That is not a personal attack. It is not name calling. It does not say that the poster is ignorant. It says that many people who hear those words will perceive you to be uneducated. As would I hearing you say such things.

Further, saying that someone is "ignorant" of the proper usage of a language or word or phrase is not the same thing as saying the person is ignorant, or an idiot, or stupid. One defines a lack of knowledge of a particular subject, the other is a personal insult.

Now again, look at your words, and those of the gang of six or seven who hate actually having to respond intelligently to anyone here who doesn't leave their proclamations unchallenged. Which category do they fall into?

They are hypocritcal in the extreme. You personally call me these things, defend others who pointedly say that I am this and I am that, and then have the chutzpah to say that I should be quite because I am mean? Where's your indignation at this?

You have a PM button, but rather than use it you hijack a thread on a different subject to use as your own personal soapbox to launch your direct, vile, personal attacks and then are upset that I have to defend myself? And still, I have not responded in kind. I never have, and I won't. You just make yourself look foolish.

:: laughing ::

The sad part is that you can't even see it.

Tom aka XR If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
sorry XR,

but Larry is taking oveer the airline forum once I die...lol

that's his favorite forum :)

people, please lighten up

this thread has been ruined...send XR a PM if you have a problem with him or any other Moderator..if that does not work, send Robert a PM.

we are all family here!!!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Oh yes, you're always the innocent one, aren't you, XR? Help, please, everyone's picking on me!!!

Here are direct quotes from YOU (too bad your education doesn't do anything improve your memory):

Just because something is spoken does not make it proper or acceptable. Your vocabulary and how you use it defines yourself to those around you. If you want people to think you're an ignorant, uneducated, backwoods, hick by incorporating such slang into your speech, go for it. You'll be in the proud company of master linguists like El Guapo de Gurabo! .

It would be no big deal to go to the 'Republica' but you're an idiot if your destination is the 'Dominican'.

So tell me, again, is this not a personal attack? Did you not say these words??? Of course not, because you're never the guilty one...and yes, you're right, I'm the mean, vile, and vicious one. ""::laughing::", quite a bit harder than you... And PLEASE tell me, why didn't you use your PM button against Porfio, Jane, Chiri, and everyone else you spit your insults at, great MODERATOR of ours. Tell us all, please...

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
trina said:
Here is a direct quote from YOU (too bad your education doesn't do anything improve your memory): Just because something is spoken does not make it proper or acceptable. Your vocabulary and how you use it defines yourself to those around you. If you want people to think you're an ignorant, uneducated, backwoods, hick by incorporating such slang into your speech, go for it. You'll be in the proud company of master linguists like El Guapo de Gurabo! .So tell me, again, is this not a personal attack?
I now understand that you really just don't comprehend the difference between saying the use of a word is stupid, and saying a poster is stupid. You really don't, do you? That's tragic.

The quote is correct. And it's not an insult, nor a personal attack. Where in that did I say that the poster was any of those things. It clearly says that people listening would probably think of you that way if you insisted on using improper grammar. What's wrong with that?

Private Message said:
I just wanted to comment that I am also a language enthusiast, and I have been impressed by all of your grammatical analyses. You are absolutely right, and some people are just not intelligent enough to understand. That isn't meant to be an insult, which is mainly why I didn't post this publicly, it's just the truth - they just don't get it. They've been pretty vicious with you, and I don't think you deserve it. I understand your frustration.

I wouldn't say that you're not intelligent enough to understand as this PM did, that would be a personal insult. But I would say that you are reading something into my posts that just isn't there.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
I just wanted to comment that I am also a language enthusiast, and I have been impressed by all of your grammatical analyses.
That's trajic.

Yes, I agree, trajic .

"Languages and words are important to me. I happen to study them. That's a crime?"

Not a crime, just "trajic"

BTW, nice edit job, after I corrected you.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
cmedina07 said:
sorry XR,

but Larry is taking oveer the airline forum once I die...lol

No thanks Cmedina, I wouldn't want the job of babysitting those airplane finatics you have over there :).

I am sure Robert has been flooded with pm's by now. Doubt it will make a difference. At least a few of us may have gotten our point across.

Larry

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Really Larry?

Larry said:
I am sure Robert has been flooded with pm's by now. Doubt it will make a difference. At least a few of us may have gotten our point across.
There was actually a point in these attacks somewhere? I must have missed that - other than you're upset about my sig line joke program. Well, here's another one just for you. I'll explain your concerns to Robert in a few minutes. If anyone can figure out exactly what they are.

Tom aka XR Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive anyway.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I don't think one specific person is at fault here. Let's look at what we can do to improve this thread until robert deletes it

btw, has everyone heard the news about Jetblue and the DR. you can now log on and purchase tickets

for more info..visit the airlines forum

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While this might be entertaining

It isn't about the DR any longer.

Trina Enough, I think you have made your point.
XR As a gentleman, behave! Go see if there is a hurricane coming...
JaneJ You know you are a ditz and I know you are a ditz, but that is why I love you. BTW, folks, JaneJ is about as far from a "ditz" as you can be. Blond, yes; beautiful, yes;traffic stopper, yes: DITZ, NO

So let's bring this to a conclusion, shall we?

Althought it was heated, there was no blood, so

Thread Closed

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.