need jabs???

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
canadian bob said:
Avoid eating fish to prevent Ciguatera poisoning, which is very serious. Lobster & shrimp are safe from this.

No! I gently agree with Rocky, generally this is going a little overboard. Reef fish (i.e., fish who eat the reefs) are a ciguatera risk. But not your normal fish that you eat in a restaurant on the beach in Cabarete say... Those folks buy their fish and much is imported. In the local, out of the way places, yes, I am careful. I'll not eat a rainbow reef fish.

A very special and greatly educated Dominicana once told me - don't eat fish when the month does not have an R in the name.

Really, we've lived here for four years. Before that, the US, before that, Africa. One can be 'too' careful as well. This is hard - but do take the normal sanitary precautions. And yes, I've never heard of hep in Cabarete.

Some years ago, ciguatera was reported from a restaurant on the Malecon in Puerto Plata - this restaurant has since changed hands. Experienced restaurant operators know what to buy in fish and what not to buy. One's risk of eating badly handled shrimp and seafood is as great as the risk of ciguatera.

I don't want to fight about this guys, but let's be a little reasonable.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Carol11, just go on vacation. It's really not that serious.

carol11 said:
Hi there, I rarely approach anything with ignorance and I'm Canadian actually, living in Europe at the moment. Weighing my personal risk of contracting Hep A, I think it's unlikely. I understand sanitation is poor and that I am taking a risk, but given the level of activity I'm likely to indulge in and the fact that I'm keenly aware of the risk factors, I reckon I'll be fine. Fingers crossed.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Hello again everyone,
I appreciate all the advice and opinions. I work in the holistic health care field, so I'm very conscious of cleanliness, bacteria and the like. Those "no wash" hand cleansers are my best friend! Along with anti bacterial wipes etc. I eat a lot of fruit and seafood. I scrub fruit and veg to within an inch of it's life at home, so I reckon I'll do the same abroad. As for the fish, I'll be mindful of what I'm eating. Again, thank you everyone. Only a few days to go and I'm really just aching for some "no worries" sunshiney days.