Need work..ant suggestions?

E

El Jefecito

Re: Dominican Papi:Greg s no match for me

greg,

TW said Cabrini Green AND the South Side...How come I get the feeling that you are one of those who thrive on the Civil Rights movement. Like Al Sharpton and Jesse. Neither is an effective agent of change nor in my opinion want to be. If all of a sudden everyone was treated equal, they would have no source of income or publicity. The true civil rights movement is being fought by those who go to work every day and help bring about change, one small step at a time. They are not begging to be recognized, not begging for handouts, not asking for reparations. They are hard working people who make change happen by being good representatives of the community.

My heroes of the Black movement are men like Vernon Johns, Ralph Abernathy, Malcolm X. These men preached about Blacks pulling themselves up, not depending on being given something. The so called Leaders of the Black Movement today seem to want everything given to them. They preach victiminization (probably misspelled that one). Whats sad is that so many beieve in them and follow them. Where has it gotten them? The true leaders of the Black movement are the pastors of local churches, the teachers at the local schools, the businessman who struggled but made good, especially those who did it in the neighborhood, and most important the mothers and fathers (all too often the single mother where the father took off) who insist on their children doing well in school and living right. If you are one of these then I believe you are part of the solution, if you are in the mold of the "leaders", part of the problem.

You accuse TW of trying to act worldly, then you turn around and do the same thing. We are all the result of our experiences and worldliness doesn't mean a hill of beans when you get down to it.

J

Jan

Re: By the way...love all the positive messages..

sounds great!!ill be here forever..no matter how these guys try to get rid or this Gringa!!!

J

Jan

Finally getting used to this!!!

Can I say the "s**t" word here? anyhow..I'm fiannly figuring out howw to talk ...That "S" word like the rest of you here!!Oh what fun....

P

Pib

Jan

When you are as old as TW and struggling to get dates thru a message board? He sounds like a desperate man to me.

:eek:) Don't get mad TW, I think you are funny.

L

Loren

"I can speak english perfect"

It's "perfectly" not "perfect." One could say "I can speak perfect English" because the adjective comes before the noun but when describing how one speaks English, an adverb is employed and placed after the noun "English." Thus:
"I can speak English Perfectly."

I hope that helps.
-Regards

L

Loren

The real Shamu

was at Sea World in Akron. The San Diego wan was a stand-in.

L

Loren

I ALSO AM BLACK *PIC*

And I shall now make the pronouncement:

The comments were not necessarily racist but certainly in poor taste, especially for a public forum. When Blacks call each other nigger it is tacky and low class and very bad taste (I shall allude to the "mis panas" thread above) but it is not "racist." I can have a pretty foul mouth at times but I don't use racial slurs, not even privately. As far as when black vs. white people use it, It is not necessarily racist when a white person says it, but it is in bad taste. It can be racist, that just depends, was it said with malicious intent?

Racism is prejudice+action.

Non-Americans have different cultural baggage that Americans do so what often seems like good-natured fun turns into a major conflagaration. I remember my first time to D.R. I made a dumb Trujillo joke at a party and everyone just got quiet and looked at me. I was like (uh...duh...) Back then, I didn't know anything about the history of Trujillo, etc. So sometimes we don't realize the effect our words have. Years later I was on a shuttle in Bavaro Palace when it broke down. I made some comment about Dominican trains and my wife (Dominican) reacted in a surprisingly hostile way because she took it as I was being disrespectful to her country and even who she was! She could joke about everything being broken down, but I as a non-Dominican couldnt make fun of stuff as Dominican.

"Why do you get so worked up over it?" People will ask, but all of our cultures have various bugaboos. I didn't know about the Nordic thing with the Nazis that John explained to us. I bet that is a sensitive topic there. What about Jewish jokes in Germany?

"Burn, nigger, burn!" was shouted at lynchings. Imagine a mob chasing you down and burning you alive in Indiana, or hanging you from a tree down south. The emotions those images evoke are what you can create in someone when they are called that.

As far as "black fat mamas" perhaps you are ignorant of the significance of that image.

"The Mammy stereotype has a long and complex history and is born largely out of a romanticized view of slavery and U.S. apartheid. When Abolitionists (those who opposed slavery) began to focus their attention on the sexual exploitation of black women by white men, supporters of slavery responded by creating the myth of the "Mammy." At a time when white culture looked down upon dark skin, thick lips, obesity and kinky hair, Southern slave holders capitalized on these characteristics and the black woman as Mammy became part of American iconography. Mammy was purposefully imagined as asexual ? and not sexually desirable ? and was confined to a maternal and care-giving role. She fed and catered to the needs of the white family ? and was "happy" serving in that role.

But "house slaves" were not a staple of the antebellum South. Most slave holders could not afford to have enslaved people working both in the home and in the fields. Only after the end of slavery and the disintegration of Reconstruction did black women come to work in the homes of whites in significant numbers. Racism (and sexism) in the Jim Crow South left black women with few employment opportunities. For many, serving as housekeeper, domestic servant or nanny in white homes was the only option. The brand name "Aunt Jemima" derives from a 19th-century minstrel song. To build name recognition, the pancake company sponsored a promotional campaign featuring performances by "live Aunt Jemimas" who flipped pancakes and told stories about the "old days." For nearly a century, the Aunt Jemima image fed into long-held misconceptions of slavery and Jim Crow."

Perpetuating this image as an icon does nobody any good and is an affront to decency. Not just Americans, either. If you are a fat prieta woman you are going to have a hard time and maybe get deported to Haiti on general principle.

My bibliography on the "Fat Black Mama" is linked below for those interested:

L

Loren

TW is not racist

I know TW and he is not racist. He can be inflammatory and actually I think he does it for the fun of it. There are racist Dominicans but TW is not one of them. He is however, bigoted against Haitians and he admits to that freely (which does not make it excusable or anything) Some of you will ask "what's the difference?" Well, bigotry is hatred of a race. Dominican racism towards Haitians is just as bad and though some would try to argue it on race, it is based on nationality, history, culture and economics. Skin color plays a part as well but that is very different from race.

It is wrong for you or me to call each other "nigger" and have a double standard about it when others do it. That is hypocritical. It is either good or bad. Words dont change their meanings based on who says something. I don't do it, I hope you don't do it. It is similar to this: I would not want someone to call my wife a bitch, for me to do it would be hypocritical.

I did teach her how to say "skanky ho" though, heheheheee

L

Loren

Malcolm X was cool

He got assasinated by the Chicago based black-taliban. Farrakhan's crew. Malcolm X was all messed up and then he went to Mecca and got straightened out. He came back and was talking about love and human brotherhood and they couldnt have that so they rubbed him out. He had a rough childhood! I had to read his biography for a class in college and at first I was like yeah yeah yeah...when I started the book, but I was sooo glad I read it. The movie was pretty good to, but the book tells you the real story behind "Red." As he was called. Malcolm Little, I think that was his born name.

E

El Jefecito

Re: Malcolm X was cool

Yes to Malcolm Little. He started out as a criminal, introduced to Islam in prison, preached hatred until he went to Mecca where he found out that Muslims come in all colors and races. Came back a changed man. His Autobiography should be required reading for every child. One of the most interesting people in the black movement was Vernon Johns. He was a minister who was the model for MLK and who's church MLK took over after Johns had been fired. There is an interesting page on the net about him but I can't remember the URL. There was a movie about him that starred James Earl Jones, very powerful portrayal.

L

Loren

It's your fault TW!!!

Man, I was laughing so hard...If I get a hernia it's your fault! Hey, you forgot platanero though. PLAAATANO. PLAAATANO MADUUUURO. With a voice like a door buzzer. I remember my first ever trip to the D.R. and saw all those raggedy carro concho's rolling around the morning after I arrived and I said to my brother and friend: "What the hell kind of place is this!?" The guaguas were full with peoples asses hanging out of the openings where the windows used to be. No lights, many with no doors, amazing contraptions. They immediately started with "Man, what kind of place is this you got us? You got us in the land of crazy people!" It was the first trip there for all of us. They were still mad because we were booked in and had paid for rooms at the Embajador, but when we arrived, the entire hotel was closed. We booked through American Airlines vacations (gogo tours) Somehow though, it was my fault.

Here's a job. I was walking around on 27th at 4 in the morning on the east side near the Shell there on the corner and some guy came up to me and he was wearing this thing that looked like a bagpipe and he was selling hot coffee and tea out of it!

The Busc?nes. I remember my first experience with those clowns. We went to get the stamps for my wife's acta de nacimiento and had to go way out on the west side by the cerveceria. Well I am walking into the office and this guy is like "A sus ?rdenes, se?or." I thought he was pretty old for those kids who want to watch your car when you park or else mess it up. The wife is like "Give him the paper." I am like: "He is some old dumbass on the street." She says "He is a busc?n." So I am like "well, go and buscar something!" "Nooo, Loren, give him the paper, it's ok." So I learned the system.

C

criss colon

Re: Shamu and Black Fat mammas - TW and AZB

To Greg,My 2cents Worth!Greg you are wrong,"AZB",and"TW" are not "ignorant racists",they are something far more dangerous,"intelligent racists"!!! See how "AZB" makes his racist comment,then backs off when I call him on that comment? Then when "TW" joins in with his racist remarks,"AZB" says,"LOL"!These two have called my wife nearly every derogatory name used in the dominican republic for a poor black woman!They go on and on about how they date "white" girls from "good" families,as if you can,t be from a "good" family and be "black"! By the way I,m a "white" farmer from Streator,Ill.! Even though we left about 40 some years ago! Anyway,I always love it when anyone starts a conversation with;some of my best friends are black!,or I went to see Rev.King speak when he was in Baltimore!You know what you are dealing with right away! White guys trying to prove they are "Blacker" than you are! Ya gotta love it!I,m not Black,never have been,never will be,ain,t trying to be!But I can tell you this,I,ll never call anyone a "nigger"no matter what these "white" guys say!I,ll never really "know" what it is like to be "black" and don,t pretend to! Doug, when and if you come to Santo Domingo you are always welcome to come to my home.I will not feed you "Soul food",or play "Marvin Gay" or the "Four Tops" to make you feel at home! Who said "they" "All" drink "Colt45",some of "Them" like "Schlitz Malt Liquor"!!Criss