new checks on flights to USA start today

Jul 28, 2014
The "fun" of flying commercial is completely gone, just misery now :-(

Its beyond that, it's off the friggin rails these days! Parse the news over the past lets say 6 months, and see how many times there have been on-board fights, flights diverted for threats, people trying to open the airplane doors mid-flight, and people drunk out of their minds and doing some really crazy things.

Here's just one of the crazy things to perhaps, "titillate" you...

http://www.barstoolsports.com/dont-...dom-dude-with-her-parents-on-the-same-flight/

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could never understand getting drunk on a plane. it's gooddamn uncomfortable, cannot lie down and "sleep it off" and even if you manage sit tight and close your eyes waiting for the dizziness to pass there are turbulence to remind you about your foolishness. you know the feeling that the room is moving when you are drunk? guess what, it is moving. no thanks. i'll have water.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
My last post should read .."which I knew I had to do".. not .."which I new I had to do"........

Anybody know of laptop protection cases designed to go in the check in bag? It may be a market if the laptop ban become permanent, people will still have to travel with laptops.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My last post should read .."which I knew I had to do".. not .."which I new I had to do"........

Anybody know of laptop protection cases designed to go in the check in bag? It may be a market if the laptop ban become permanent, people will still have to travel with laptops.

I have about 10 older laptop bags with all kinds of foam inside them. I always just hated to throw them out. Would work great, especially with the smaller laptops now. But would take up lots of space in checked bag.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What happens when you cram 300 people in your backyard for a BBQ - Of course someone jumps off the roof into the pool. The airlines are at fault for not maintaining a higher standard of passenger comportment and dress. The passengers are at fault for thinking an airplane is just like a local city bus.

The pursuit of ever increasing profits for investors has created an industry that won't stand up to those passengers who have no business being in close proximity to others at 35K feet - these people don't know how to control their emotions, deal peacefully with others, and basically just can't sit still and quiet for 4+ hours. The passengers who think the rules are for other people - my carry on the is the size of a Volkswagen but that's ok, my 8 hour old newborn has just as much right to fly as does your support anaconda and that annoying seat belt sign is just a recommendation - I have to go to the bathroom now, before take off, because I downed 15 coffees and a beer in the airport waiting for boarding.

Trouble makers need to be banned from flying for five years on any airline for fighting, being disrespectful or for just being lousy human beings. 2nd offense sees these idiots banned for life. The bar for expected behavior needs to be seriously raised and a jacket & tie, and long skirt just to check in would be a good start at weeding out those who are unable to see past themselves in their own minds eye.

Gringopean

May 24, 2017
Greetings,

Real time update from POP. Thought I should come in earlier, sitting here now killing time. I went through security and since I was the only person in the line, and I had a laptop and two phones, the directed me to the screening table for my laptop. A few swabs from the computer into the detection device and I was cleared.

Here the surprise though! I had overstayed 1 day and they claimed I have to paid 2,500 peso. I asked why and the collection guy gave me a sheet displaying a new fees which states 'De 30 días Á 3 meses - 2,500' and the fees for the following periods. The guy pickect them money. So was this a scam? I will post the fees later when Im on a computer. I have a copy. I was not aware of this, I thought there was a fee for each day overstayed or maybe I missed something!

Saludos

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was being politically correct. I did not wish to mistakenly imply that anyone might be an alcoholic when they are really just a fearful non-compliant flier. :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The bar for expected behavior needs to be seriously raised and a jacket & tie, and long skirt just to check in would be a good start at weeding out those who are unable to see past themselves in their own minds eye.
I don´t even own a jacket and tie!

A Jacket and tie does not make someone a better person!
It just makes them a differently dressed idiot!

Besides that, I would really look weird in a long skirt.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ties are so "east coast" of North America. I really dislike them. And a jacket? Not going to happen unless I am going to winter, which I try to avoid.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Greetings,

Real time update from POP. Thought I should come in earlier, sitting here now killing time. I went through security and since I was the only person in the line, and I had a laptop and two phones, the directed me to the screening table for my laptop. A few swabs from the computer into the detection device and I was cleared.

Here the surprise though! I had overstayed 1 day and they claimed I have to paid 2,500 peso. I asked why and the collection guy gave me a sheet displaying a new fees which states 'De 30 días Á 3 meses - 2,500' and the fees for the following periods. The guy pickect them money. So was this a scam? I will post the fees later when Im on a computer. I have a copy. I was not aware of this, I thought there was a fee for each day overstayed or maybe I missed something!

Saludos

Yes, you missed the memo....

One day over gets you the full penalty....
People book flights to avoid this.

Too bad....it's an overworked topic on this site...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let's not try to impose strict dress code on a long haul flight in a very cramped space. forget suits and long skirts, it's gonna be yoga pants and sports bra all the way for me.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
let's not try to impose strict dress code on a long haul flight in a very cramped space. forget suits and long skirts, it's gonna be yoga pants and sports bra all the way for me.

Totally agree.

Long haul or not, I can't understand why people dress up to take a flight (that is why I love my DR flights with so many women dressed like they are going clubbing :p). I just want be warm and comfortable.

May 5, 2007
i am told by the previous generations that air travel was grand back in the day :)

the first time i ever traveled by a plane i was already 25 or so. i think it was in a year 2000? first time was kinda cute but then i found that my car sickness extended to airplanes and it was a misery ever since. rules and regulations make it a bit more annoying but i'd take full body check on every flight - cavity search included - if only i did not get so horribly sick on both ends of my digestive system. :cry:

I can offer an almost 100% guarantee these will alleviate any symptoms of airsickness, car sickness, sea sickness etc If you ever look closely (they are usually placed behind the ear, small clear patch that is difficult to see) you will see Navy personnel wearing them, Coasties are common users etc I have used them on the usual rough crossings between Maine and Nova Scotia where dozens of people would be "Hanging the rails" and me, not a problem whatsoever http://www.transdermscop.com/index.htm PS, if for soem reason they don't work, I will offer to hold you tightly for the entire trip ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, how i wish. but i am pretty sure those strips are not available in DR nor in poland. for a while i did take some fancy meds given to chemotherapy patients to stop nausea but they did not work all that well. regular OT meds are kinda fine but their effect is short lived, seeing that i've been taking them since being born.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The bar for expected behavior needs to be seriously raised and a jacket & tie, and long skirt just to check in would be a good start at weeding out those who are unable to see past themselves in their own minds eye.

I"m in total agreement. I don't wear a tie but whatever works for you. And the nice gals at the front of the plane always hang up my sports jacket for me.

I think you are starting to see a backlash against people dressing like slobs on planes. And the airlines are the ones that will lead the charge.

Guys in gray sweat pants, good lord. Did nobody ever teach you how to dress yourself before going in public?

Don't get me started on t-shirts.