New French Pizza Parlor

Nov 25, 2008
Rumors has it that a french retired restaurant owner is planning to open up a pizza joint; whats different from the competition?
Well first off it will be only one size pie [I guess he will serve slices] 26" pies [under $500]
Also will be serving Kebab's home made

If the pizza $ is in that range and tasty..... be careful, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa...competition is on the way; tired of paying over priced small pizzas

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Rumors has it that a french retired restaurant owner is planning to open up a pizza joint; whats different from the competition?
Well first off it will be only one size pie [I guess he will serve slices] 26" pies [under $500]
Also will be serving Kebab's home made

If the pizza $ is in that range and tasty..... be careful, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa...competition is on the way; tired of paying over priced small pizzas

Even without competition, I would never eat those greasy Hut or Domino?s pizza. the only edible franchise pizza is Pizzarelli. 100% orgullo Dominicano

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Using the word pizza in the same sentence as Pizza Hut or Domino's is a true oxymoron.

Bob K

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
So let me guess...another thin crust pizza place??? where? in Sosua? cause if it is in Sosua we already have about 10 pizzarias that only make thin crust and none are great or busy.

Pizza Hut, Dominos and the other chains are very successful cause they give its clients what they want...a thick crust with lots of toppings. Most North-Americans want thick crust, not this thin crust crap.

May 29, 2006
A 24" pizza would be XXXL by US standards. I would think he would have a hard time sourcing the boxes for that. We did a 24" NYC style at the pizzeria I worked at and we had to special order the wooden peel used to put it in the oven. We got $3/slice at the counter with 8 slices, or about $20 delivered for a full pie with one item. I think it was 24oz of dough and 20oz of quality mozzarella per pizza.

At 500 pesos it's either a very good deal, a 24cm pizza, or they have some great food costs.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
A 24" pizza would be XXXL by US standards. I would think he would have a hard time sourcing the boxes for that. We did a 24" NYC style at the pizzeria I worked at and we had to special order the wooden peel used to put it in the oven. We got $3/slice at the counter with 8 slices, or about $20 delivered for a full pie with one item. I think it was 24oz of dough and 20oz of quality mozzarella per pizza.

At 500 pesos it's either a very good deal, a 24cm pizza, or they have some great food costs.

The Sosua mozzarella is 95 pesos/lb, so if he uses a quality mozzarella he'll likely pay 130-150 pesos/lb. So 1/3 of his price will be the cost of cheese???? unless he does like most other pizzarias in Sosua and use barely any toppings or sauce.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

24" = 24inches, NOT cm.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
The Sosua mozzarella is 95 pesos/lb, so if he uses a quality mozzarella he'll likely pay 130-150 pesos/lb. So 1/3 of his price will be the cost of cheese???? unless he does like most other pizzarias in Sosua and use barely any toppings or sauce.

Do you want to enjoy the pleasure to taste a great pizza like the wooden oven at O'la Vache, Bologna or bayleys or tu quieres darte una HARTURA de grasas, harina and cheap mozarella at pizza hut?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Do you want to enjoy the pleasure to taste a great pizza like the wooden oven at O'la Vache, Bologna or bayleys or tu quieres darte una HARTURA de grasas, harina and cheap mozarella at pizza hut?

I've tried Bologna and Baileys and not impressed at all....thin crust and very little toppings. O la vache is okay, but still not thick crust. Also, O la Vache uses the Sosua cheap cheese. There's a market in Sosua for a thick crust pizza that will cater to the North Americans and nobody is doing it. Closest thing is New Pizza, up for them Winner's Circle...best I had in town so far.

The pizza at the Pricemart food court is awesome. Thick and lots of toppings...recipe for success.

May 29, 2006

That's why it seems like a very low price to me. He could get a better price wholesale, but he's still be paying 100+ pesos for cheese on a 24" pizza if he using anywhere close to what North Americans would expect. I really wonder what the boxes cost down there. You can't put a 2 pound pizza into a cheap box or it won't survive being delivered on the back of a moto-concho.

He should be able to get 100 pesos a slice and 8 slices per pizza if they are that big and are good. $3 a slice is the standard around here in Upstate NY for a plain or pepperoni(often crappy pizza made from frozen dough) and that is from an 18"- 20" pizza cut into six slices. For something with almost all imported ingredients, I'd expect his food costs to be higher.

Is he going to be renting from an existing pizza shop? That equipment isn't cheap, esp the floor mixer. If it's not a stone deck oven, it won't be any good..