New to Forum -seeking info about DR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not sure I agree with you. Spending time immersed in a language is the best way to learn the language and learn a new culture. I've been to Miami you don't have to speak Spanish because you will find someone who speaks English at some point. what do you mean by "sock..."? Miami is still the U.S. in my opinion - nothing wrong with just not the same thing.

I Think it s a fantastic idea (i have done it myself for English young, then Spanish in college). However, I think you may have to pick one or the other. Baseball or Spanish. The logical thing would be to start with Spanish. In that case, I am not sure I would pick DR honestly.
Then, once your son is better in Spanish and more of a traveler, you could refocus on the baseball.

Just my 2 cents.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Do you sit around and think about moronic off topic statements you can make?

Why not post something useful? Or maybe that's not possible?

My only point is that this woman apparently knows very little about the DR. I'm done now. I will let you post something useful maestro.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
One of the baseball camps I am aware of is in Monte Cristi. A former coach runs the camp but these camps are for kids who are very and I mean very serious about playing professional baseball. It doesn't sound like that is what your son is looking to do. Here they take the sport very serious. I know that different youth groups come down and help with community programs. You may want to look into something like that. Someone here on DR1 may have more insight on this.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone,
I joined the forum and am seeking your collective wisdom about the Dominican Republic.
My high school son is looking to study abroad over the summer. We are considering the DR.
He is also a baseball player.
We are looking to enroll him in a Spanish language academy in a city where he could also play baseball.
His ideal experience would be:
study Spanish for half the day;
live with a DR family where he could practice his Spanish;
play baseball with other high school boys as well perhaps work in a community org with young boys teaching baseball.
What cities in the DR would offer this experience?
Anybody have any suggestions on language academies?
I would appreciate any info you could provide.
Muchas gracias!

I went on line and looking for baseball camps in the DR for high school students and the only one I could come up with was for a week. You might start there. I really don't think what you want exists. There are International schools in Santo Domingo but they have no connection to baseball.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Hi Susan,

Based on a couple of your statements, I'd switch the priorities up a bit:
- Finding a host family/environment to help make the transition from the States to a developing country, and all that entails, both easier and safer;
-Finding a Spanish academy / immersive program that is reputable;
-Finding a baseball academy

As has been previously mentioned, baseball is a religion here (or as my girlfriend says, "we are a baseball player factory for MLB.") These kids work very, very hard (8 hours a day, five, six days a week) and are very focused on making into the MLB system. For these kids, educational attainment as a "way out" is often not possible (public schools here leave a lot to be desired), so baseball is the ticket out. If your son wants to play Little League, he will be in a for a surprise.

I have always believed that travel, both to the developed and developing world, is one of the best experiences one can have. Regardless of which direction you go, there will be learning, fun, and stories to tell.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Your best option may be for your son to join an exchange program and request that he be able to play baseball. The local AFS organization will try to find a family that could help him have the baseball experience.

I fully agree that to learn Spanish the best way is a total immersion. That is much likely to happen here, rather than in a place such as Miami.

Exchange Student Programs | AFS USA | AFS-USA

Susan Montgomery

Nov 14, 2014
Thanks for your help. I didn't see the Dominican Republic listed on AFS-USA website. I am searching for programs in country that I can connect with for language learning. Does anyone know of a reputable one? There are plenty on Google but I'd like to find one that has a good reputation and is well established in the DR.
Gracias a todos!

Susan Montgomery

Nov 14, 2014
HI RandyLRM,
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your insight on the country and its baseball fanaticism.
Take care.
Susan

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Hi Susan!

Let's go by parts.

Baseball Academies - There are alot of baseball academies which could pick your son to polish his baseball, in Boca Chica and in San Pedro are a couple which would help your son, they will train him, but not as a prospect (9 hours a day training), also if they see potential on him, he might even get signed by some team.
One of them is the Astin Jacobo Academy, they have a documentary on Netflix called "Pelotero(baseball player)" on Netflix you could try watching.
Language Institute - The Dominico Americano or The Language School (?EDI? by its initials in Spanish) is the division of the bi-national center Instituto Cultural Dom?nico-Americano dedicated to the teaching of the languages and cultures of the Dominican Republic and the United States of America. We offer courses of English and Spanish as foreign languages. We have been serving the community since 1947, promoting cooperation and understanting between these two peoples, through the development of communication skills. This is located on many places, including San Pedro and Santo Domingo(The Capital).
They offer English for outsiders: Idiomas

Hope I've helped you