Apr 1, 2014
Smoking is a disgusting habit so I've no problem with
it being banned on the beach. Now.. if only they could
find a way to get rid of the dogs wondering around without
a leash.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So, I don't smoke becuase I need a gringo to buy me a cigarette? Poor me!!. lolThanks for letting me know that, you wise gringo.

see my response to the other guy.

people see me as some angry guy, but it is people like these who make me respond the way i do. they are on a Dominican website, and should have some basic smarts to think that at least a few Dominicans are going to read it. maybe they just do not give a darn that they are issuing gratuitous insults to their host country...maybe they believe that they are so much better than Dominicans, they do not owe them any duty to be circumspect about the things they say. yes, we know people throw garbage. we know the place is noisy. we are aware of all the foibles. but to characterize the country as a homeless shelter is just beyond the pale.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It would be quite fascinating if the forum had a feature which permitted, or actually required members to have a flag depicting their birth nation next to their screen name. It would be very interesting indeed to see if the source of all this resentment towards the RD as a host nation to diplomats, businessmen, casual visitors, vacationers, and expatriates stems from one particular demographic. As a member of various internet forums over the years, I have never witnessed such hostility towards a host nation or it's respective native population, as I have here within this forum. At a minimum, it is very disheartening. There is a completely different world within the RD that exists, but unfortunately never seems to be addressed, or even acknowledged. It just may be that if posters had the flags of their respective nations of birth next to their screen names, we could identify the places from within the globe that these members derive from, and how closely these locations resemble utopia. Yes, utopia, where everything is perfect. That surely must be the reason for all the resentment towards the RD. It all makes sense now. Everybody left utopia for the RD. Go figure.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It would be quite fascinating if the forum had a feature which permitted, or actually required members to have a flag depicting their birth nation next to their screen name. It would be very interesting indeed to see if the source of all this resentment towards the RD as a host nation to diplomats, businessmen, casual visitors, vacationers, and expatriates stems from one particular demographic. As a member of various internet forums over the years, I have never witnessed such hostility towards a host nation or it's respective native population, as I have here within this forum. At a minimum, it is very disheartening. There is a completely different world within the RD that exists, but unfortunately never seems to be addressed, or even acknowledged. It just may be that if posters had the flags of their respective nations of birth next to their screen names, we could identify the places from within the globe that these members derive from, and how closely these locations resemble utopia. Yes, utopia, where everything is perfect. That surely must be the reason for all the resentment towards the RD. It all makes sense now. Everybody left utopia for the RD. Go figure.

For people who were lucky enough to be born in a first world nation it is easy to look down upon, find fault and disparage others.
Back home they are the average joe or losers.
A short plane ride and they are transformed into superior people.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
So, I don't smoke becuase I need a gringo to buy me a cigarette? Poor me!!. lolThanks for letting me know that, you wise gringo.

With that attitude you're not going to get any cigarettes from Gringos. I guess that's why you don't smoke.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
One of the few places in the World where cigarettes are sold individually out of regular packs...this place is like an Island-wide homeless shelter!

If you truly believe the above statement, you are proving to all the limited scope of your travel history.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014

These are straw man arguments. There is something very unique about the DR unlike other countries and not in a good way.
Here is a video from Hobo Traveler and he figured out the DR pretty quickly. Of course he was threatened by the great real estate people of the DR to stop telling the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvAJk9rjDk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For people who were lucky enough to be born in a first world nation it is easy to look down upon, find fault and disparage others.
Back home they are the average joe or losers.
A short plane ride and they are transformed into superior people.

these have got to be the wisest words i have heard in a very long time. i guess when you cannot even say hello to the dumpy little clerk at the local pharmacy in your hometown, without her insulting you, then you can come here and strut around with a looker, it makes you superman.

yes...you can put money on it. most of these people looking down on Dominicans are nobody where they came from.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
These are straw man arguments. There is something very unique about the DR unlike other countries and not in a good way.
Here is a video from Hobo Traveler and he figured out the DR pretty quickly. Of course he was threatened by the great real estate people of the DR to stop telling the truth.

Which other countries is it that you reference? Every nation on this planet has it's own underbelly. Where you are correct is that the RD is uniquely different, in that for some reason tourists and expatriates come here to purposely associate with the underbelly of this nation. In which other country do foreigners aim to do this?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Going to Andy of The Hobo Traveler for advice is like contacting Hillary Clinton for advice on running a campaign.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
With that attitude you're not going to get any cigarettes from Gringos. I guess that's why you don't smoke.

Wow, another wise gringo! So much talent and so many quality gringos on this site. lol Are you still in the DR? Maybe your embassy can help you go back to your country. Hey, perhaps some DR1ers can have a fund raiser to help you. =)

Last edited:

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
You beat me to it............ of all people to take advice from,,,,,,,, Andy the Hobo? NO way

I didn't take advice from him, just agreed with him. For some reason he has an "agenda" against the DR. Sounded pretty honest in his assessment.
How many people do you personally know that have been brutally murdered in the DR vs other places, and that is not even the frustrating part of the country.
No other country treats its tourist population like the DR - with the entire legal system out to get them and taking bribes. I guess you guys are just to clever to not have some drunk local ram you from behind and then sue you, take your passport ... (you know the stories). It's not just dumb luck that this hasn't happened to you yet, you are too clever for it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I didn't take advice from him, just agreed with him. For some reason he has an "agenda" against the DR. Sounded pretty honest in his assessment.
How many people do you personally know that have been brutally murdered in the DR vs other places, and that is not even the frustrating part of the country.
No other country treats its tourist population like the DR - with the entire legal system out to get them and taking bribes. I guess you guys are just to clever to not have some drunk local ram you from behind and then sue you, take your passport ... (you know the stories). It's not just dumb luck that this hasn't happened to you yet, you are too clever for it.

Tourist scams occur in every region that has a tourist area. EVERY single one. Globally. Now, whether they are successful or not differs on the experience and wisdom of the individual tourist.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

True the DR abuses foreginers and the word is getting out. But I have lived in several foreign countries and experienced the same attitude towards foreigners. Am I regretting my decision to pick the DR - yes at times. Mainly because the police and the legal system are corrupt.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Tourist scams occur in every region that has a tourist area. EVERY single one. Globally. Now, whether they are successful or not differs on the experience and wisdom of the individual tourist.

How many people do you personally know that were brutally murdered, let alone the other scams. No it doesn't occur like in the DR, and these general comments saying it occurs everywhere and the DR is just as safe as any other place is close to criminal. The people on this site are bordering on accomplices to these crimes by denying they occur.
Things are so bad in the DR that you have to lie and deny the existence of concrete examples for whatever your motivation or agenda is. Maybe it is just self delusion, but it is definitely not being honest.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How many people do you personally know that were brutally murdered, let alone the other scams. No it doesn't occur like in the DR, and these general comments saying it occurs everywhere and the DR is just as safe as any other place is close to criminal. The people on this site are bordering on accomplices to these crimes by denying they occur.
Things are so bad in the DR that you have to lie and deny the existence of concrete examples for whatever your motivation or agenda is. Maybe it is just self delusion, but it is definitely not being honest.

Happy New Year to you. Hopefully 2018 treats you better than the past years have. Again Happy New Year, and all the best in your future pursuits.