Now what??

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
This is very easy. You need to do something, if deported you will be denied reentry for at least 5 years, at least.
So you can't speak spanish, fine. Give an all in Lawyer like Ariza Guzman a call in the morning. I'll wager for a few grand they can get you legal, or at least in a process under protection until you are legal.

It doesn't have to be a big deal if you take care of it. Sitting on your arse wondering what will happen is not really dealing with anything, just giving yourself more of a headache.

That or forget about it and stop fretting like most. You know the score, so the play is in your half. Wanna be legal, do it. Wanna live on illegal, do it. Chances of them bothering with you are tiny, so................................................. If you ever might need any assistance legally though, from now on you wanna be legal or your fukced.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Under the Radar

The OP is married to a Dominican and supports her and most likely some family members.
I do not think, that he'll be deported.

I'd just wait and see what happens.

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The OP is married to a Dominican and supports her and most likely some family members.
I do not think, that he'll be deported.

I'd just wait and see what happens.

donP

Yes, thats fair enough, but becoming legal surely is this guys answer. Waiting around is all anyone does in DR, waiting for a never materializing change. They've been talking about doing June 16th 2015 since 1998. These threads will still be going June 2016 with people waiting, wondering whats gunna happen.

viguy007

Nov 25, 2012
I would like to thank everyone for their feedback. I will not worry because everything happens for a reason. If it is meant that my life does not change, it will not. My wife's oldest child (who lives with us) is about to graduate from college with a pre-law degree and is about to take the big test (Dominican Bar Exam?) in December. Her real father is the S?ndico of one of the suburbs of Santo Domingo, both of them though this law did not apply to me. How many non-Haitian expats, who do not read DR1, think the same thing.

However, if I am deported, it will be for a reason. When the law made me an illegal here, I shared the same fate as over 11 million illegal aliens in the United States. But I am a US citizen who is being ripped away from my family and my lawfully wedded wife. Maybe some Americans will see the human story in my case that they do not see in the illegal expats who live in the US.I know how to work the media since I worked in it for many years when I was young, and I still have friends there. Before I lived in the USVI, I lived in New York City, and was a type A personality, not the type Z personality I am now. What happens, happens, but I would like to thank everyone for their support.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just note that you have lived here for 13 years and made zero attempts to legalize your status. you may know how to work the media but you cannot work that simple truth.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would like to thank everyone for their feedback. I will not worry because everything happens for a reason. If it is meant that my life does not change, it will not. My wife's oldest child (who lives with us) is about to graduate from college with a pre-law degree and is about to take the big test (Dominican Bar Exam?) in December. Her real father is the S?ndico of one of the suburbs of Santo Domingo, both of them though this law did not apply to me. How many non-Haitian expats, who do not read DR1, think the same thing.

However, if I am deported, it will be for a reason. When the law made me an illegal here, I shared the same fate as over 11 million illegal aliens in the United States. But I am a US citizen who is being ripped away from my family and my lawfully wedded wife. Maybe some Americans will see the human story in my case that they do not see in the illegal expats who live in the US.I know how to work the media since I worked in it for many years when I was young, and I still have friends there. Before I lived in the USVI, I lived in New York City, and was a type A personality, not the type Z personality I am now. What happens, happens, but I would like to thank everyone for their support.

Having lived here for 13 years I'm sure you have not lived in a bubble or vacuum. You had to know you were an illegal non-resident.

Ahh Viguy i didn't realize you were the same gentleman who posted before with little money every month. I assumed
you meant you had like a grand a month lol not 4!!

Good luck to you, you seem like a decent guy. Hope you and the misses get that cruise sometime!

Really being Deported from here could be the best thing ever! I like your go with the flow whatever happens, happens Attitude!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nobody would give me any information about what is involved. I went to the office that does this, they said don't worry and gave me a nice pamphlet which was in Spanish.

In your case, you will need to speak to a lawyer to get this process done. If you end up deported, you may not be allowed back in.

Jul 28, 2014
I guess setting aside 20$ for a Spanish/English dictionary was too taxing to translate doc's and apply, couldn't have wanted to go legit very bad...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Programmer, Developer? Software and Computer savvy, 2 "heavy duty" laptops and then no way to scan a paper/brochure and let it translate online?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The short answer is no one has any idea. Relax, wait and while and we will find out. Not much goes according to plan in this country and this looks like a kinda screwed up plan. First the DR will go after the Haitians which will take them a while.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I believe all the noise about the deportations was to get the paperless Haitians to register. There is a major security problem with having paperless unidentified people moving around. One of the reasons of the registry is to at least have these people trackable. There is the 45 day window announced by the government to review the applications that have not yet been processed.

The same way the US has a difficult time policing their border, ditto for the 300+ km Dominican border with Haiti. Take note that for years, many Haitians have depended on getting deported in order to get a free ride home. Likewise, deportations are very expensive, so are unlikely to happen in any significant numbers compared to the in flow from Haiti.

I would not discount people of other nationalities getting deported in order to make the point that it applies to everyone. The country has been known to be a haven for foreigners with a criminal track record. I believe the foreigner registration program also seeks to put a check on this.

And in some way the National Foreigner Legalization Plan has tried to motivate the Haitian government to give their people identity papers, although the Haitian government has not been listening. If a serious effort to identify Haitians in Haiti ever will happen… who knows… identifying people in Haiti has never been on the priority list of the governments there.

What is so sad is that the Dominican government offered them the old equipment for the IDs (cedulas) after this was replaced and was still in working conditions. Apparently they were not interested in the offer, maybe they prefer to buy their own new equipment or just pass the buck to the Dominican Republic and keep up the international campaigns for "stateless" people in the Dominican Republic.

A true Haitian Legalization Plan needs to happen in Haiti as a national priority. From what I understand half of the people that live in Haiti do not have legal identity, and thus would fall into the category of legal stateless. The Haitian Constitution addresses this by saying that everyone who is born to a Haitian is a Haitian, but how to prove a Haitian if the government does not issue identity papers! It is a human rights tragedy, and the root of it is in Haiti, not in the Dominican Republic.

If this is not addressed, more of these "stateless" people will continue to migrate to the Dominican Republic causing more of the same problems when they seek to benefit from the free health and education opportunities here.

If the DR does put into place any deportations program of any significance, then this might motivate the Haitian government to get their act together and start delivering identity papers to their people, a basic human right in today's world. But again, the cost of this might have a chilling effect on it happening.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"If the DR does put into place any deportations program of any significance, then this might motivate the Haitian government to get their act together..."

I doubt that. They only will cry louder and keep blaming the mean Dominicans...

They want their people in other countries so others have to take care of them.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
"Everything happens for a reason.". That reason is usually physics but sometimes it is because you choose to ignore what is happening all around you and make bad or no decisions. Then complain and whine about what is going on in your life. You have been given a lot of good practical advice. Stop the pity party and do what you already know is the right thing to do.