Objetivo Fama...US

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Totally Agree

Ikill for money said:
Spanish television is one of the most racist. Any of you remember what happend with julio savala? to me he is one of the most funny to see hosting a show. And even if he have great talent the mexican television seen to have got rid off him.No joke those Awards they give are so boring with out 1 of the best , julio savala. I stop seen them years ago.
Im tired of mexican programs, i want to see others Countries too .

They make julio savala go out of Business.

Have you noticed that all the "winners" of the "Premios Lo Nuestro" are people in their own "circle". I mean you can not deny that reggaeton made a huge explosion during the past 2 or 3 years and last year not only did they pair Tego with some mexicans and made him look out of place but they also ignored him in the category (they did nominate him) by not giving it to him as he truly deserved it.

Not only that but Olga Tanon always seems to win something even if she doesnt do anything that particular year. They never nominate artists that are relevant to the categories but if lthey ever are they never win. They make them look silly. I mean give a real dominican the premio for "best meregue" anything for once.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
So true...

Liz,

You are absolutely correct regarding "Premios lo Nuestro" and even the Latin Grammy Awards. There is extreme bias but I think it is because it has to do with publicity, marketing and the other factors mentioned in the thread. In this case Puerto Rico is not denied but rather favored using your example of Olga Tanon. I think this will continue once Latin music is marketed in the USA or in PR. I stopped watching those award shows three years ago when Fernando Villalona was robbed of the grammy for "Mal Acostumbrado". I thought that was one of (if not) his best albums ever and the award for merengue album of the year was given to Olga Tanon. For what? Besides the fact that her merengue is not authentic in my opinion. It will be a miracle if a Dominican artist that is nominated actually walks away with the award. I am still waiting.

-Lesley D-

lizzyjl80 said:
Have you noticed that all the "winners" of the "Premios Lo Nuestro" are people in their own "circle". I mean you can not deny that reggaeton made a huge explosion during the past 2 or 3 years and last year not only did they pair Tego with some mexicans and made him look out of place but they also ignored him in the category (they did nominate him) by not giving it to him as he truly deserved it.

Not only that but Olga Tanon always seems to win something even if she doesnt do anything that particular year. They never nominate artists that are relevant to the categories but if lthey ever are they never win. They make them look silly. I mean give a real dominican the premio for "best meregue" anything for once.

Last edited:

Gee

Jan 5, 2005
DarkDreamer said:
Most developed country in LATIN AMERICA?? I doubt it...proof please
maybe mexicans in the US...are the most growing minority but that doesn't mean they get the right to impose their culture upon the rest of Hispanics...
We all ahve our own culture which we love and enjoy...and by the way.. there might be 90 million ppl there..but the poverty rate is alarmingly HIGH... so don't make it seem like all artists just get rich there because the country is in such great shape.. there is a reason why there so many mexicans in the US u know...
It comes down to respecting other ppls cultures...just because they are growing doesnt mean we have to accept their culture as if it was a religion... that doesnt give them the right to make racial slurs against other ppl either...

I am NOT even talking about the US, but if you have studied Latin American history then you would be enlightened to the fact that Mexico is a rich country that suffers from a corrupt government as do other Lat. Am countries. Luis Miguel...HELLO!! Do you know who he is? A Puerto Rican who has become a Mexican citizen and has always said that the stage for success in entertainment is in Mexico because of the population as well as the money that is there. Selena who would have become a bigger star than JLO because she could sing even went to Mexico and she was born in the US and spoke very little Spanish. Mexico is to Lat Am artists as LA and NY are to entertainers in the US.
I agree with you that all cultures shall be respected and we should all see ourselves as LATINOS and unite.

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
Gee said:
I am NOT even talking about the US, but if you have studied Latin American history then you would be enlightened to the fact that Mexico is a rich country that suffers from a corrupt government as do other Lat. Am countries. Luis Miguel...HELLO!! Do you know who he is? A Puerto Rican who has become a Mexican citizen and has always said that the stage for success in entertainment is in Mexico because of the population as well as the money that is there. Selena who would have become a bigger star than JLO because she could sing even went to Mexico and she was born in the US and spoke very little Spanish. Mexico is to Lat Am artists as LA and NY are to entertainers in the US.
I agree with you that all cultures shall be respected and we should all see ourselves as LATINOS and unite.

Well i answerd YOUR statemente that mexico is the most DEVELOPED country in Latin AMerica which is completely untrue..you never made a statement regarding mexicos richness or corruption..you only talked about it being the most DEVELOPED richness and development are in no way shape or form the same thing...I talked about the US because it has correlation with how well mexico is doing..because if Mexico was doing great there wouldnt be so many inmigrants... but if you say that mexico is rich but only suffers froma corrupt goverment..then where do the artist get 'rich' from...the corrupt goverment who posseses the money?? because poverty is HUGE in Mexico... besides I never talked about Mexico per say in my post but rather the owners of Univision who are mexicans and are trying to impose mexican culture amongst other hispanics groups in the US...United States not mexico...
and yes I do agree...latin should unite...but we dont have to become mexicans...we all have our own culture...which I personally I'm not willing to give up....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DarkDreamer said:
Most developed country in LATIN AMERICA?? I doubt it...proof please
maybe mexicans in the US...are the most growing minority but that doesn't mean they get the right to impose their culture upon the rest of Hispanics...
We all ahve our own culture which we love and enjoy...and by the way.. there might be 90 million ppl there..but the poverty rate is alarmingly HIGH... so don't make it seem like all artists just get rich there because the country is in such great shape.. there is a reason why there so many mexicans in the US u know...
It comes down to respecting other ppls cultures...just because they are growing doesnt mean we have to accept their culture as if it was a religion... that doesnt give them the right to make racial slurs against other ppl either...
From my understanding, the most developed country in Latin America today is Chile and Chile also has the highest per capita income in the region.

However, Mexico is the largest economy in Latin America (10th largest in the world, and Mexico City on its own is the 30th largest). In fact, only three cities have such a huge impact on modern Hispanic culture and those are Madrid, Buenos Aires, and Mexico City.

Mexico may not be the richest or most developed, but it is a huge influence hard to avoid in all Spanish speaking countries.

However, I suspect that the reason why Hispanic television in the United States is highly Mexican oriented is because out of the 32 million Hispanics in the US, around 30 million are Mexicans. After that, the only other groups with significant numbers are Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans and most of these hug the Atlantic coast from top to bottom.

However, none of this justifies the attitude of Univision towards other cultures.

aztec1

May 21, 2005
Something to think about.

Jon S. said:
...been very biased. It's like apartheid, with 10% ruling the rest of the spectrum. There are many solutions out there to this issue, like getting rid of the idiot that hosts the show and replacing him with someone local from Puerto Rico. It just adds to the silly stereotypes that they keep using these blue-eyed girls in Mexico to broadcast their novelas every friggin' day on Univision. They should try doing 'El Premio Mayor' again, finally one that didn't have the poor maid that falls in love with the male lead actor in the novela. However, out of the 43 million people of Hispanic descent in the US, half of those are Mexican so it's kinda hard to see anything else when they are so widespread.

Honestly, I think we won't change anything until we start living in areas where there aren't too many of us. I mean, I see plenty of Latinos/as in Texas but are there alot in Cleveland or Seattle or Kansas City? I live in southern Virginia and over here the lack of diversity just kills me. However, because of that lack of diversity, I am determined to show others here a beautiful culture. They usually have a preconcieved notion of what a Hispanic person is and I try to dismantle all that stuff. It's a pretty broad issue to tackle but I have friends from all over so it's easier to explain it to them that if someone else were to do it.

Also, to that person that talked about Mexico being more developed than the rest of Latin America, explain why so many cross the border. Explain why people in Chile, since they're so "underdeveloped", why they choose to stay in that beautiful nation of theirs. Explain why countries with a smaller population are doing better for themselves than Mexico. Explain why people go to Costa Rica for eco-tourism and not Mexico when both countries have beautiful jungles in them. Explain all that......and explain why some of my Mexican friends don't ever want to live there and criticize their own people
worse than anything some other Dominicans on DR1 say about DR.[/QUOT

Answer:

The reason you don't have many people from South America Is because
In case you have not noticed It's a llitle far away.
The reason there are too many Mexicans is because that is the first under developed country next to the USA.
It would be the same if Chile or Argentina or Brazil were beside the USA.
For sure they would be majority.You are lucky don't have China to the south.
I'm sorry to all chinese friends, but you can't cover the sun with one finger.
Mexicans and Dominicans talk trash about their countries just the same as other nationalities do too, even Americans. You just have to turn to the news
and you'll see that even congressman talk trash about each other.
Talking trash is not about nations, It's about Human nature. Nobody is
satisfied.
I could go forever here, but it makes no sense. It's just very sad that
that guy said that Mexico was more develop than other countries, and I
really apologize for him He does not know what He is saying.

My respect to all.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Gee said:

I AGREE 100,0000000000000 % with you.

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Gee said:
Luis Miguel...HELLO!! Do you know who he is? A Puerto Rican who has become a Mexican citizen

Nope, Luis Miguel was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico of an Italian actress, Marcela Basteri and a Spanish singer, Luisito Rey, but was raised in Spain and M?xico. He is not Boricua. ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JDJones said:
I don't think Anais has anything to worry about. Win or lose on 'Objetivo Fama' , she is going to be a star.
Didn't she win a month or two ago?
JDJones said:
I didn't realize she was a Domincan Republican until much later in the program.
Are you sure shes's not a Domincan Democrat? ;)

May 31, 2005
Gee said:
Selena who would have become a bigger star than JLO because she could sing even went to Mexico and she was born in the US and spoke very little Spanish. Mexico is to Lat Am artists as LA and NY are to entertainers in the US.
Selena went to Mexico because when she started her genre was Tex Mex.