Obtaining & maintaining US permanent residency.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
You have simply been lucky to this point. The same mailing address and answering questions were of no use to my wife and step daughter keeping their green cards.

Sorry to hear that, but there is something about having territorial residency that helps too I'm sure. Mainland US doesn't pay as much attention to their territories as they should. But considering that I'm a native born American, and she's my wife, you would think that it shouldn't make much difference to them as long as we are married. I'm not hiding, filed income tax with the USVI for money earned in Anguilla. I have bank accounts in DR, US, USVI, and now Anguilla that I'm sure that they are aware of. She travels to US mainland and doesn't stay long either visiting family in Miami alone without issue. I dunno about lucky. As far as I'm concerned, we are not breaking any laws. I just work differently than most Americans do.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Heck Windy, We are going to the mainland US the last week of September because I have a managers meeting in Savanah. She's coming with me because I have to go to SC and renew my driver license. I haven't seen my home in 10 years. She's never seen it. Also, her last passport (DR) was issued by consulate general in Miami. It wasn't expired, she was out of pages. I know they know how much we move around. Especially this day and age.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sorry to hear that, but there is something about having territorial residency that helps too I'm sure. Mainland US doesn't pay as much attention to their territories as they should. But considering that I'm a native born American, and she's my wife, you would think that it shouldn't make much difference to them as long as we are married. I'm not hiding, filed income tax with the USVI for money earned in Anguilla. I have bank accounts in DR, US, USVI, and now Anguilla that I'm sure that they are aware of. She travels to US mainland and doesn't stay long either visiting family in Miami alone without issue. I dunno about lucky. As far as I'm concerned, we are not breaking any laws. I just work differently than most Americans do.

If your wife isn't living in the US (or a US territory) for the required period of time each year, then she is at risk. How you work and your being a natural born US citizen has nothing to do with it .

The amount of time out of the US and its territories should be easy for USCIS to identify based upon her entries and exits into and out of US territory. They may never care, or they may care the next time you enter US territory.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Heck Windy, We are going to the mainland US the last week of September because I have a managers meeting in Savanah. She's coming with me because I have to go to SC and renew my driver license. I haven't seen my home in 10 years. She's never seen it. Also, her last passport (DR) was issued by consulate general in Miami. It wasn't expired, she was out of pages. I know they know how much we move around. Especially this day and age.

"They" as in the USCIS, does not normally like that kind of "moving around". So far, so good for you.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
If your wife isn't living in the US (or a US territory) for the required period of time each year, then she is at risk. How you work and your being a natural born US citizen has nothing to do with it .

The amount of time out of the US and its territories should be easy for USCIS to identify based upon her entries and exits into and out of US territory. They may never care, or they may care the next time you enter US territory.

Well then its good for us that she will be naturalizing next year and will have her own US passport. We're you able to get your family's residency reinstated?