One Laptop Per Child

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
We have laptops in education in my neck of the woods. 65,000 to be exact. Test scores haven't gone up. Issue IMHO is informal learning is not encouraged, formal learning does not translate, gap between educator and learner in terms of how, why to use the machine.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lol....I had to get that out of the way before going back to the OLPC issue. Every time I see or hear this phrase "Protestant work ethic" or the oxymoronic "Judaeo-Christian" it gets under my skin.

All of the points being made here have a great deal of merit. But as someone who has taught students in both America and in India, I think that learning styles and environment is an overlooked variable in this discussion. The opponents of technology in the classroom would have us go back to a model that worked extremely well for a time and place that only exists in a few cases today. Those one room schools produced some of the greatest minds of America. But as the culture changed so did learning styles.

To teach a child you first have to be able to get their attention and keep their attention. Because of cultural and environmental factors the attention span of children can vary greatly. I found that those students who were exposed to a lot of technology had much shorter attention spans than those who were not exposed to any technology. However, I also found that those who were exposed to technology in moderation had longer attention spans and displayed an eagerness to explore beyond limits of the non-technology model. When a child's exposure to this technology is limited to observation without any interactivity, they find their non-technology learning environments boring.

I agree with the research which seems to indicate that too much exposure to this technology stunts our creativity and imagination. I see the results everyday, where not only my students, but even adults have difficulty conceptualizing abstract models or problems.

Most adults can't even sit through a 60 minute documentary. Most adults don't have the attention span and cognitive ability to grasp indepth news coverage from PBS News Hour. They turn to the 2 minute news snippets of the corporate networks.

We don't operate in a non-technology world, our children don't live in a non-technology world, why should we expect them to learn in a classroom devoid of this technology?

In our after school/weekend learning centers in the DR, we intend to utilize either these XO laptops that, as a policy of OLPC, must be freely-distributed to the children, or our own in-house desktop computers. The technology will supplement traditional instruction and tactile learning. It will not substitute for it. $189 would buy books or even a personal tutor for a few lessons, but we'll take our chances with a laptop, the hundred or so free open source learning software titles that are freely available, and a teacher that is trained in how to utilize them in conjunction with traditional classroom instruction.

I'll agree to disagree with you guys and focus my energy on getting the center up and running. You'll all be invited to come and visit when the doors open!

protestant work ethic - a value system that stresses the moral value of work, self-discipline, and individual responsibility as the means to improving one's economic well-being. This was based on Calvinist work ethics and was one of but not the only reasons why many country's economies suceeded.
The biggest issue with the computers is as Aminty states, training the trainers. Good luck with your project. I've found that children that are on computer's constantly find it hard to concentrate and follow something a teacher is doing on the blackboard- way to slow for them. Every little thing helps.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lol....I had to get that out of the way before going back to the OLPC issue. Every time I see or hear this phrase "Protestant work ethic" or the oxymoronic "Judaeo-Christian" it gets under my skin.

All of the points being made here have a great deal of merit. But as someone who has taught students in both America and in India, I think that learning styles and environment is an overlooked variable in this discussion. The opponents of technology in the classroom would have us go back to a model that worked extremely well for a time and place that only exists in a few cases today. Those one room schools produced some of the greatest minds of America. But as the culture changed so did learning styles.

To teach a child you first have to be able to get their attention and keep their attention. Because of cultural and environmental factors the attention span of children can vary greatly. I found that those students who were exposed to a lot of technology had much shorter attention spans than those who were not exposed to any technology. However, I also found that those who were exposed to technology in moderation had longer attention spans and displayed an eagerness to explore beyond limits of the non-technology model. When a child's exposure to this technology is limited to observation without any interactivity, they find their non-technology learning environments boring.

I agree with the research which seems to indicate that too much exposure to this technology stunts our creativity and imagination. I see the results everyday, where not only my students, but even adults have difficulty conceptualizing abstract models or problems.

Most adults can't even sit through a 60 minute documentary. Most adults don't have the attention span and cognitive ability to grasp indepth news coverage from PBS News Hour. They turn to the 2 minute news snippets of the corporate networks.

We don't operate in a non-technology world, our children don't live in a non-technology world, why should we expect them to learn in a classroom devoid of this technology?

In our after school/weekend learning centers in the DR, we intend to utilize either these XO laptops that, as a policy of OLPC, must be freely-distributed to the children, or our own in-house desktop computers. The technology will supplement traditional instruction and tactile learning. It will not substitute for it. $189 would buy books or even a personal tutor for a few lessons, but we'll take our chances with a laptop, the hundred or so free open source learning software titles that are freely available, and a teacher that is trained in how to utilize them in conjunction with traditional classroom instruction.

I'll agree to disagree with you guys and focus my energy on getting the center up and running. You'll all be invited to come and visit when the doors open!

protestant work ethic - a value system that stresses the moral value of work, self-discipline, and individual responsibility as the means to improving one's economic well-being. This was based on Calvinist work ethics and was one of but not the only reasons why many country's economies succeeded.
The fact that this gets under your skin indicates somewhat of a closed mind. I am non-religious but find value in what is taught by many religious denominations. My youngest son is a Buddhist and there is plenty to value in their beliefs also.
The biggest issue with the computers is as Amity states, training the trainers. Good luck with your project. I've found that children that are on computer's constantly find it hard to concentrate and follow something a teacher is doing on the blackboard- way to slow for them. Every little thing helps.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Proof that technology is not always the answer.

We have laptops in education in my neck of the woods. 65,000 to be exact. Test scores haven't gone up. Issue IMHO is informal learning is not encouraged, formal learning does not translate, gap between educator and learner in terms of how, why to use the machine.

What you are saying if proof that computers are not going to replace the teaching of core courses necessary to learn other material. Keep in mind that I have BSEE/MSEE degree in digital and computer systems design but did not have the opportunity to work on a computer until I worked on a small IBM mainframe during the 10th grade of high school.

It is interesting to note that the introduction of technology to very young children has actually created a generation of ADD (attention deficit disorder) children that cannot focus on more than a sound bite, a text message or the next video game battle. They are not able to concentrate on what a teacher writes on a blackboard and comprehend it because there minds are already racing to another topic. (I have a friend in the US with a daughter of his own and two step children that were all on Ritalin!!) Compound this short attention span with a lack of motivation to learn something that will provide them with a career later in life and it is a recipe for failure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What you are saying if proof that computers are not going to replace the teaching of core courses necessary to learn other material. Keep in mind that I have BSEE/MSEE degree in digital and computer systems design but did not have the opportunity to work on a computer until I worked on a small IBM mainframe during the 10th grade of high school.

It is interesting to note that the introduction of technology to very young children has actually created a generation of ADD (attention deficit disorder) children that cannot focus on more than a sound bite, a text message or the next video game battle. They are not able to concentrate on what a teacher writes on a blackboard and comprehend it because there minds are already racing to another topic. (I have a friend in the US with a daughter of his own and two step children that were all on Ritalin!!) Compound this short attention span with a lack of motivation to learn something that will provide them with a career later in life and it is a recipe for failure.

As someone whose oldest son was diagnosed as ADD and I made him suffer through Ritalin Hell, I would chose other methods to deal with ADD. There are many, but the combination of high speed graphics, and need for speed and excitement that movies, videos, and gaming provides,does in my opinion, cause children to get bored with normal old fashion teaching method. Certainly provides a challenge for teachers, one than many of them are not capable of.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
windeguy cautions

The wrath of Pichardo will rain down upon you!!

What did happen with this program?

nothing, as far as i know. it did allow for one more windbag session for Leo, then died the usual unceremonious death.