ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Building a luxury apartment using lots of marble, mahogany, and fancy light fixtures and then putting in a basic starter home kitchen behind an expensive mahogany door and an unfinished room for the live-in help. Contractor obviously thinking that someone buying such an expensive apartment will never set foot in the kitchen, and not wasting any money on the help.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Asking a Dominican friend what is his dog's name, and he replys "thats not important"

This is one of the funniest things Ive read in a looooong time!! ...and I can picture several of my Dominican friends saying the exact same thing without missing a beat...

I had an ODR moment today... had a flat fixed and the spare filled, all in about 10 minutes...for 50 pesos.

I once had a flat fixed in Florida, I think they charged $15 USD...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Get chicle or Halls as a substitute for pesitos!;)

The taxi I was in got stuck after picking me up from the airport because he had no gas...and we had to pull over and wait to get towed by 2 motoconchos!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Only in the DR; At 4:00 am people walking on the side of the road covered with a single towel, a toothbrush, toothpaste and a soap in the hand going to take a bath in river.
When I was delivering tourist from STI in those early JB flights this was the first Dominican impression my customer have on the to Cabarete or Sosua.

Yes this people do this in a daily basis before to go to work.

haha

JJ

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
-being able to walk with your dog into a supermercado, and instead of being asked to leave, being asked to give a demo right in the store...

-not being able to explain a "pastor belga" is completely different from a "pastor alleman" (damn... I hate those f*****g germans... lol)

-being afraid the local cow-herders would not appreciate your dogs herding their cows, and after a couple of days them calling to the dogs to help them...

-having a dog escaping the pen... and the local herders "herding" her back and refusing payment to do so...

- having a punctured tire and having it fixed on the road for 100 pesos (in Germany... 5000 pesos)

and the biggest difference... people being friendly... people loving life and family... people accepting mistakes... etc... in other words... NO STRESS...

and I almost forgot one thing... In europe you pay a tax (a couple of euro's) when you buy f.e. a microwave for recycling, and when it breaks down and you have to throw it away they ask for another couple of euro's to do so.... here they just ask a couple of euro's to fix it... makes sense... doesn't it????

Last edited:
E

engineerfg

some GREAT posts in this thread!

Here's what I observed today:

Dominican Friend: "it's great day for Sancocho".
Me: why is it a great day for Sanchocho?
Dominican Friend: "because it's cold and raining"
Me: uhm..it's 28 degrees Cecilius...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Going to the vet on a Thursday afternoon..... only to find out that Thursday afternoon is "people day" at the vet

Sosua.... Dr Bob..... true story

We got pushed up the queue... maybe two reasons...

We had an animal (one)
we were paying customers (two)

Maybe "inverso"

BTW this was Dr Bob the vet in Sosua... Not DR1 Bob :))

WW

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I saw this phenomena happens to me as well. I invited my co-workers and offered them the sun and the moon (as it is accustomed in the DR) and they were like blown away. You go to someones house here in the USA and you have to serve your beer yourself and find a spot to sit real fast before somebody else take it.

I grew up in the U.S. and have no idea what you're talking about LOL My family practices good old Southern hospitality. But then again, I guess it depends on where you come from. My mother's fam is from Tennessee and on top of that they're Indians. I feel sorry for the other American's who have to run for their own beer and seat LOL Whose house are you visiting anyway? I'll make sure never to visit there LOL :bunny:

?

? bient?t

And only in DR you have ex-pats thinking that only in DR folks do not flush toilet tissue.

rubia1

May 10, 2010
only in DR...

pick up a rental car that is in someone else's name

you can pass on a red light, be stopped by the police and get away with showing your health card instead of driving license

have a dent in your bumper fixed in a couple hours for $20

be invited for dinner by people you just met

go the wrong way on one-way street and not even get a second glance from the police standing by

spend new years dancing on the streets of Santo Domingo and feel safe doing so

get about 100 compliments and 10 marriage proposals per day

you can get 70% discount in gift stores if you ask

and of course, let's not forget, only in DR you have cabanas...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
only in DR...

pick up a rental car that is in someone else's name

you can pass on a red light, be stopped by the police and get away with showing your health card instead of driving license

have a dent in your bumper fixed in a couple hours for $20

be invited for dinner by people you just met

go the wrong way on one-way street and not even get a second glance from the police standing by

spend new years dancing on the streets of Santo Domingo and feel safe doing so

get about 100 compliments and 10 marriage proposals per day

you can get 70% discount in gift stores if you ask

and of course, let's not forget, only in DR you have cabanas...

Only in DR, a man can talk about his wife and kids in one sentence and tell you estoy enamorado de ti in the next one :D

I guess DR men could make a thread of their own

Feb 15, 2005
1. watch someone feed a dog fishbones and the dog loves it and is still living after 4 years.
In the states the dogs get fed Purina, Ukenoba etc etc and still one pays out the nose for a Vet visit.

2. Playing dominoes, the lights go out and someone gets their car , hooks up a light bulb and wire to the car's battery and sits down while someone pours him a plastic cup of Presidente without missing a turn.
In New York, the National Guard would have to come out and stand in every corner.

believer

Oct 12, 2005
Only in the DR

Only in the DR, where rum, pineapples and coconuts are from, does it cost $10 for a pina colada.

E

engineerfg

ODR - High Beams

Only in the Dominican Republic (ODR):

Flashing your car's high beams during the day is a way of telling other drivers - 'hey, get out of the way!'