Overstay fee after receiving tourist visa extension?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If that is the best you can do I rest my case. Surrender Noted................
I agree with W2. My take is that if you are a serious person with significant assets in this country, it probably is good risk management to be legal. That said, a lone ranger type overstayer most likely will never cross anyone's radar unless he commits a felony. He can have a jeep and maybe even a house he purchased via a Dominican business corporation via services from Guzman Ariza. No one is looking for this guy.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Omg it's 2037 and the overstay thread is still alive!
How ironic that you're contributing to the issue with you unfunny and pointless quips ;)

The OP was
I have successfully applied for an extension of my tourist visa for up to 4 months.

Will I still have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon leaving the country?

You guys are confusing both.
The extension provides legal standing during the stay in the country only! If something was to happen to the person, her stay is 100% legal and binding to any rules.
The overstay fee, means just that, an overstay fee. It has zilch to do with the legal standing of the person in the DR. Paying the overstay fee on exit without having extended your visa-free time allowed, doesn’t provide legal standing during the stay if anything should happen or happened already by the time of the exit.
The extension is a means to being legally in the DR. That’s all!
I had to pay the fee only once, upon leavin at the airport. But I had to pay a doctor examination as well for the extension.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are many tourists staying in the US for 6 years and longer, too, and they don't have to pay anything when they leave. Good luck trying to come back though.
Most Dominicans that are illegal immigrants in the USA enter as tourists and simply didn't left when they were supposed to. They simply wait until their illegal situation is legalized and then they return to the DR. Stopping the illegals from entering may be a thing, but it's a moot point when the illegals enter legally.

Many other Dominicans have US residence (residencia) and spend most of their time in the DR. They tell you with no sugar coating they don't like the USA. They return to the US to comply with the bare minimum to not lose the US residence and once that is complied, they are on a one way flight back to the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Who wouldn't not like the US if you spent all your time living in the Bronx in Washington Heights?
For many people life is more stressful in the US due to many things among which are weather, a much more hurried lifestyle, working becomes the main purpose of life, different language than used to, having to follow every rule/law to the tee which for someone used to having greater liberties could feel as being in a cage, everyone appears to be offended by something so you are always walking on eggshells and being politically correct, people are more impersonal and you can spend a day where you are surrounded by people yet lonely (things as simple as saying hi to everyone when walking into a small store is simply not done in the USA), etc.

Due to the difference of lifestyle, certain Dominican traditions have to be modified. For example, in the DR the major meal happens around noon while in the US very often that same meal takes place in the late afternoon or early evening. That in itself is a difference that many don’t like, but due to work and the intensity of work, no one is home at noon so it has to be done later.

For non-white Dominicans and those considered white in the DR but not in the US, there is an extra stressor they might be subjected to in the US that they hardly if ever went through in the DR. Things such as a harder racism and in certain areas racial profiling can be a shock for someone that never lived through that.

There is much truth to the saying “Americans live to work, Europeans work to live.” Simply change Europeans with Dominicans.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most Dominicans that are illegal immigrants in the USA enter as tourists and simply didn't left when they were supposed to. They simply wait until their illegal situation is legalized and then they return to the DR. Stopping the illegals from entering may be a thing, but it's a moot point when the illegals enter legally.

Many other Dominicans have US residence (residencia) and spend most of their time in the DR. They tell you with no sugar coating they don't like the USA. They return to the US to comply with the bare minimum to not lose the US residence and once that is complied, they are on a one way flight back to the DR.
Maintaining USA Residence requires the person be in the US most of the time each year. No extended time out without "permission". If not, a judge will remove that residency in a hearing. I know this from first hand experience from 2 members in my immediate family. That bare minimum is not a few short trips back to the USA to "keep residency there". That used to work, but no longer. The best thing such people can do is tough it out until they become dual citizens, then there are no restrictions. That means being in the US for several years in most cases. One of my family members did that and remained in the USA and is a dual USA/DR citizen, the other did not and traded that green card for a 10 year renewable visitor's visa to the USA. I am not saying everyone playing this game of short trips to the USA will be caught, just that it is likely they will be caught.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As NALS stated, most Dominicans that are illegal in the USA got their on visitors visas. I know MANY people with that situation.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As NALS stated, most Dominicans that are illegal in the USA got their on visitors visas. I know MANY people with that situation.
Same here.
In the past I had hundreds of Dominicans who worked for me who got Visas for work and would make yearly trips just to "make sure they didn't lose it"

David B

Aug 31, 2017
You cannot post ONE relevant incident by ANYONE on this board that has had ANY problems because of staying here more than 30 days..................Go ahead.................
I've often wondered about my driver's license from the States. I've been pulled over many, many times in the DR, probably because of my pretty gringo complexion, but never during an overstay, and a US driver's license is supposedly only valid for the duration of one's visa. I decided long ago I wasn't going to pay DIGESETT any more extorsion money, well, except for the time a group of masked cops stopped me in Sosúa at 4 am during the curfew last year!