"PICHARDO",Please See Page 16,"Diario Libre" Today,Monday,April,2nd.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Tax evasion moves and launders more money than the drug runners ever could, wherever...

Illicit liquors move and launders more money than....

You can pretty much fill in hundreds of things that are illegal and still move more cash and launder more than drugs ever could not only here in the DR, but elsewhere there's a profit to be made as well.

The evidence speaks to the contrary of what a many here just "assumed"...

The illegal flights carrying drugs to the DR have dropped to almost nothing since the Super Tucanos and radar went into place.

When ports started to use hi-tech detection in the cargo lines, drug exports dropped big time.

When they used dogs to sniff around airports and people at the airports and ports of entry, smuggling of drugs and even money kept falling in big numbers.

The events that big seizures are taking place is the result of LAW ENFORCEMENT and use of special units for that task alone.

Unlike a many still want to talk out of their rears here, drugs in the DR are harder to insert and move about nowadays.

People that used the RE sector to launder money have wised up since the many cases of property seizures carried out in the past years, to the tune of billions in USD$...

Drug purity went from 99.99% to less than 40% in recent years, with the latest tests revealing a lowering trend as drug shipments into the local market continue to drop.

The DR is quickly inserting the new impresoras fiscales to medium and big business on a fast track mode. This is enabling the DGI to identify front operations to launder cash in the country.

Next year a new auditing system will be introduced, which will link the major distributors, importers, industry and wholesalers to track their sales to merchants with the DGII...

When the Armada gets the new blue sea patrol boats, the final loophole will be shut down for major drug runners in the country.

The DR is neither Mexico nor Puerto Rico when it comes to drugs. We're very far away from that type of environment.

Here the problem lies with weak institutions and low paid Police. The Police is culturally corrupted and learned to complement their income with pay offs and gratuity.

To me the major problem we face is tax evasion in huge numbers. Numbers so big that you can say that if the informal economy is about twice or three times as big as the formal, so too is the tax evasion from that sector alone. Not to even go into the formal sector's tax evasion skills...

How bad is it? When was the last time you paid tax on over 60% of what you got in the country that you can even remember?

And that's YOU as a foreigner living in this country, imagine the ones that like us grew up on this system!

Drugs may be up in the Caribbean region, but in the DR they're surely in the retreat...

The task before government is to see users as sick people in need of medical attention instead of jail. We need to have medical facilities to get them off the drugs first. Second is that regardless of drugs being illegal, a tax stamp must be set for all drugs sold by whomever. When caught, the dealers would face tax evasion measures and their property and any involved in the drug operations confiscated 100% if the tax stamps are not present for each dose they sell.

That cash would more than pay for the cleanup program in medical facilities for addicts.

The other is to make legal the possession and sale of Marihuana in the country, but regulate the use and sale to licensed parlors alone. Make the use tandem with the age for smoking cigarettes and a partial of the taxes levied upon them used to educate and treat addicts as well.

As far as making hard drugs like cocaine or others legal? NOT a chance!

Tax them to kingdom come! Let's tax that cash cow until it pays little to have in circulation.

The idea would be to keep the Marihuana parlors away from the tourists and family centers, but not in seedy places.

And for crying out loud, get this alcohol control notion out of the legal and criminal system!

Let parents deal with their kids as it was back then and worked just fine!

Let's not copy failed policies that only create a more enticing environment for kids to seek that booze...

You just did!!!!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hi Chip,

Are you sure? I haven't read that anywhere. I always thought that the 'Taino' thing was just a ruse, and like 3% of the DNA was Taino?

According to this site: 15% of Dominicans have Ta?no DNA | Herencia

15% of Dominicans have Ta?no DNA
Wednesday, 14 de July de 2010

Santo Domingo (UCTP Ta?no News) ? A recently concluded DNA study indicates that 15% of Dominicans have indigenous Ta?no genes not found anywhere else. The research which began in 2006 also determined that another 15% conserve Euro-Asian genetic characteristics, whereas 70% of the population of the Dominican Republic has mitochondrial DNA of African origin.

What percentage of the DNA of the 15% of the population is Taino?
Of course some will argue that any percentage, no matter how miniscule makes you a "Taino".

As certain text books say we all came from Adam & Eve, we must all be Taino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pichardo,like all Dominicans,responds to ANY negative criticism of the DR,with a "It's worse somewhere,anywhere,else"!
Since he doesn't live here,and doesn't read dominican newspapers everyday,or watch Dominican "News Chanels" on TV,he doesn't know about the wave of "Narc State" activities that go on here.Or,more likely refuses to believe it.
To say that those "activities" are decreasing is just NOT compatable with our day-to-day reality here on the ground!
Any new "Mall Pictures" "Googled" off the net today?? No new "Merto" spin?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to this site: 15% of Dominicans have Ta?no DNA | Herencia

15% of Dominicans have Ta?no DNA
Wednesday, 14 de July de 2010

What percentage of the DNA of the 15% of the population is Taino?
Of course some will argue that any percentage, no matter how miniscule makes you a "Taino".

As certain text books say we all came from Adam & Eve, we must all be Taino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
That study was limited to mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from the mother. Once they do a Y-chromosome study, which is inherited from the father, the full picture will be revealed.

As for the Taino DNA, 15% is probably as high as its going to be, since I doubt there is as much much Taino Y-chromosomes. European origin most likely dominates that side with African being a close second.

In any case, they would have to also do an autosomal DNA study if they want to figure out what's the actual makeup of the average Dominican. So far, of the Dominicans that have voluntarily taken autosomal tests, European origin tends represent around 60% of the average Dominican genetic makeup, African averages 30% and Taino less than 10%. These percentages are not representatives of the sample tested, but rather the genetic makeup as the individual level.

The most ironic aspect in all of this is that a recent autosomal DNA study done in Brazil tends to mimics the Dominican samples, with most of the mulatto and those socially categorized as "blacks" (which in Brazil is very similar to the DR's classification) inherited most of their DNA from their European ancestors. (http://sociedad.elpais.com/sociedad/2011/02/18/actualidad/1297983616_850215.html) I suspect that as has been proven in the DR, the same situation exists in Brazil with most of the population inheriting European Y-chromosomes (paternal lineage) and African mitochondrial DNA (maternal lineage).

Very few Haitians have taken such tests, but so far they tend to average over 90% African, which is quite high but not shocking. Taino DNA is practically non-existent, at least in the Haitian samples that already exist.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
Pichardo,like all Dominicans,responds to ANY negative criticism of the DR,with a "It's worse somewhere,anywhere,else"!
Since he doesn't live here,and doesn't read dominican newspapers everyday,or watch Dominican "News Chanels" on TV,he doesn't know about the wave of "Narc State" activities that go on here.Or,more likely refuses to believe it.
To say that those "activities" are decreasing is just NOT compatable with our day-to-day reality here on the ground!
Any new "Mall Pictures" "Googled" off the net today?? No new "Merto" spin?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

It's good you point that out. With all the DR defending the dynamic duo (Pichardo and Nails) are always doing, you'd suspect they lived in the DR. I thought they did. Armchair defenders from the comfort of their homes in Florida right? Anyway, they haven't got a clue of how the DR is deteriorating day by day. You do.

Some may think I'm a pessimist but I'm not. It's just my realism only points to a reality which turns out to be pessimistic. I don't start out on a train of thought to be pessimistic. The DR is facing serious problems and those that can effect change like the politicians are clueless and more concerned with their own little petty and trivial matters.

Population, for example, continues to increase at rates which will only exacerbate the problems already facing the DR. The DR is a small country. Imagine extrapolating the population rate 20, 50 years into the future. Will the DR be better off? How much longer before the fresh water supply is seriously depleted to the point that the DR faces a Malthusian crash where the population exceeds the capacity of the natural resources to sustain it?

Is there anyone within the DR that is currently dealing with these problems? I don't know. Just like Pick and Nails, I live comfortably in Miami-Dade County unaffected by the crime and grime of the DR. I type these words in a nice residential community with beautiful blue skies and all the amenities that a 1ST world lifestyle affords one.

Only CC's words and those like him who live in the DR can speak of what is really going on in the DR. All other posers step off.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Warehouse for DRugs

The illegal flights carrying drugs to the DR have dropped to almost nothing since the Super Tucanos and radar went into place.
When ports started to use hi-tech detection in the cargo lines, drug exports dropped big time.
When they used dogs to sniff around airports and people at the airports and ports of entry, smuggling of drugs (...) kept falling in big numbers.
(...) drugs in the DR are harder to insert and move about nowadays.
(...) revealing a lowering trend as drug shipments into the local market continue to drop.
The DR is neither Mexico nor Puerto Rico when it comes to drugs. We're very far away from that type of environment.
Drugs may be up in the Caribbean region, but in the DR they're surely in the retreat...

You can only fool yourself, not us.

BTW, any new pictures of malls?

*Desde el 2000 el pa?s es almac?n de drogas - Hoy Digital

donP

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
That study was limited to mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from the mother. Once they do a Y-chromosome study, which is inherited from the father, the full picture will be revealed.

As for the Taino DNA, 15% is probably as high as its going to be, since I doubt there is as much much Taino Y-chromosomes. European origin most likely dominates that side with African being a close second.

In any case, they would have to also do an autosomal DNA study if they want to figure out what's the actual makeup of the average Dominican. So far, of the Dominicans that have voluntarily taken autosomal tests, European origin tends represent around 60% of the average Dominican genetic makeup, African averages 30% and Taino less than 10%. These percentages are not representatives of the sample tested, but rather the genetic makeup as the individual level.

The most ironic aspect in all of this is that a recent autosomal DNA study done in Brazil tends to mimics the Dominican samples, with most of the mulatto and those socially categorized as "blacks" (which in Brazil is very similar to the DR's classification) inherited most of their DNA from their European ancestors. (Sorpresa en Brasil: negros y mulatos son gen?ticamente hasta un 80% m?s europeos que africanos o indios | Sociedad | EL PA?S) I suspect that as has been proven in the DR, the same situation exists in Brazil with most of the population inheriting European Y-chromosomes (paternal lineage) and African mitochondrial DNA (maternal lineage).

Very few Haitians have taken such tests, but so far they tend to average over 90% African, which is quite high but not shocking. Taino DNA is practically non-existent, at least in the Haitian samples that already exist.

I dont know how this thread got onto this, but about a year ago I saw a presentation from a harvard trained geneticist who did a big study on taino mitochondrial DNA in the DR. He split the DR into 3 regions, South, East, and the Cibao. In the cibao there was more mtDNA from amerindian presence than there was european or african. Everywhere else it was much less, except in San Juan de la Maguana, where they found mtDNA groups from everywhere, including PR and Venezuela. Super interesting stuff, Ill try to find a link.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I dont know how this thread got onto this, but about a year ago I saw a presentation from a harvard trained geneticist who did a big study on taino mitochondrial DNA in the DR. He split the DR into 3 regions, South, East, and the Cibao. In the cibao there was more mtDNA from amerindian presence than there was european or african. Everywhere else it was much less, except in San Juan de la Maguana, where they found mtDNA groups from everywhere, including PR and Venezuela. Super interesting stuff, Ill try to find a link.

Please post the link when you find it.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have trained dogs to find drugs, and I can tell you...

The only thing the dogs at POP may be able to find is a hotdog, or hamburger stashed away...

Of course the people there are another matter...

I have to say, they try, they do their best, and I can only wish them great success, AND BETTER DOGS, to help them...

BelgianK