Post DR-CAFTA / Investment

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
our company put together a business plan for Free Trade of the Americas 3 or 4 years ago. FTAA fell through. plan b was cafta-dr after we saw it's development. we have a meeting next week to setup how the first few millions of investment will be arranged. obviously nothing will happen until all parties sign the accord.

we're in canada (and the usa), on the coat-tails of alot of the companies from the usa that are arranging ten times our numbers. so imagine the possibilities. don't be fooled. this is huge. this will change the dominican republic. this will create tons of jobs. why do you think the chinese were sniffing out the country months ago. to build textile mills. because the origin rules stipulate that the fabric will have to be produced in the dr. no problem. the chinese will build mills here. they'll own everything. workers will certainly be paid less than they are now. scary.

i have to laugh when i hear the democrats on the news who voted against it because of environmental protection issues. geezus friggin iman...you ever take the bus from samana to santo domingo after the bus stop other side of cotui? carumba! give me a friggin break! litter everywhere. falconbridge sees that and it's open season! and they do.

i deal daily with all the countries in this pact and i have to tell you that the dominicans are light years ahead of the other countries in my limited - but going back 5 years, daily - experience. it's a golden opportunity. look at a map. caucedo is perfectly situated to take over as the hub for latin america from miami. and if you have to fly a shpmt from caucedo then the las americas is literally 2 minutes away. why do you think Air Canada just bought all those flight options into santo domingo? for tourism? stupid. cargo.

i am so happy that hippolito made all this so clear to me. he's really a genius. and i think that we should all vote for him....just a joke kids. how does he still get in the newspaper??? friggin prd, get on the train from sanchez, man! it's coming back! sorry, i transgress but he really, how should i put it, "touched" everybody's life! awesome man!

ah, what do i know? i told you for years that we'd finally have an airport in samana. yeah, i'll believe it when it happens but just so happens we have about 2 different middlemen for different hoteliers coming weekly for an inspection of the land for sale in las galeras by my wife. so gfy.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Cafta

Campaign contributions
are tied to trade vote

Dear DR1 Dominican,

The August 2005 issue of The Progressive magazine has this article in their "No Comment" section, i.e. it is true news that requires no further comment:

From the Washington Post: "With the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) in serious trouble, a prominent business leader recently laid it on the line: Business groups are prepared to cut off campaign contributions to House members who oppose the pact. 'If you are going to vote against it, it's going to cost you,' said Thomas J. Donahue, president and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

So even though the U.S. has now narrowly passed CAFTA, Dominicas should be very cautious. Beware. Clearly business groups have now come right out and threatened monetary sanctions for all of our elected "representatives" if they fail to take heed.

What a way to run a "democracy." And King Geo. Bush wants to export this brand of "democracy" to all parts of the globe. I see little difference between the U.S. style of getting things done and the bribery and corruption that the U.S. always complains about in other countries.

I love the Dominican Republic, and its beautiful people, and it will be a cloudy day when the full effects of CAFTA fall on the Dominican?s shoulders