Private Schools

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
International School of Santo Domingo

Has anyone had experience with the International School of Santo Domingo? The address is Gaspar Polanco #3, Bella Vista Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and their website is http://www.intlschool.com.do/. Any info would be helpful

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
School in Juan Dolio

aegap, I tried your link to the Villas del Mar International School in Juan Dolio but it didn't work. Do you have any more info? I tried MSN and ask.com searches and came up with nothing. :ermm:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
What about the other type of Schools

So much information in this thread. It is great but has anyone heard of or belongs to a Warldorf community?

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Villas del Mar International School in Juan Dolio

Dirty Girl said:
aegap, I tried your link to the Villas del Mar International School in Juan Dolio but it didn't work. Do you have any more info? I tried MSN and ask.com searches and came up with nothing. :ermm:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52863 Juan Dolio
Villas del Mar International School

Villas del Mar International School offers quality education in the warm, friendly atmosphere. The purpose of this school is to give a solid academic foundation in the basic fundamentals of learning for the average and above average child.

Academic standards are high with added emphasis on humanism, patriotism and character training. Each student has a close, personal contact with well-qualified teachers who are prepared to give each student a thorough scholastics background.

The classrooms are properly equipped and air conditioned. Villas del Mar International School has provided an academic excellence in a caring environment since 1995.

FAQ

How does a student enrol?

Enrolment packets may be picked up at the school office at any time. A registration fee in non-refundable and non-transferable. This fee will hold the student's place until September payment is due. If there is no opening, the registration fee will hold a place on the waiting list and you will be notified when an opening becomes available.

When does the school begin?

PK to K5

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Grades 1 to 6

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Grades 7 to 12

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Is bus transportation offered?

Villas del Mar International School offers transportation for students from Juan Dolio area, Boca Chica and San Pedro de Macoris. While we do not promise house to house service, we do our best to come as close to the house as possible.

Do you have an extended day program?

Extended school day is available for students in all grades until 4:30 p.m. Help class, homework, English as a second language and special classes such as music and sports are available.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Thanx for that Carina, Does anyone have information on the International school of Sosua, such as its reputation etc

mmercado

Aug 9, 2006
private schools in santo domingo

Can someone tell me which are the best bilingual schools in santo domingo that is not Carol Morgan?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Probably 1) St George School, or 2) St Thomas School, or 3) New Horizons

OR, you can go here, and then click on the button at the left which says: "Resultados ranquados de Mayor a Menor" and goes from the highest ranked to the lowest ranked by their criteria. The three schools above are in their top 8, and Carol Morgan is rated as #12 in their listing.

Should you not live in Santo Domingo, then use the button below that says "resultados categorizacion por Distritos" and the schools they rank are listed by the school district throughout the DR.

http://www.see.gov.do/sitesee.net/consultas/ConsScopFormularios.aspx

Last edited:

mschuck

Apr 25, 2002
Colegio Jardin Verde in Bavaro

I am aware of the private school "Colegio Jardin Verde" which is an excelent private school.

City : Bavaro
School : private
Languages : Main Language Spanish, English and French is obligatory
Cost : At around RD$ 2500/month (excluding books, uniform) with several options for the mid-day meal and after school activities (computer, languages, etc.), transport with own school busses
Grades : from Kindergarten up to 12th grade
Reputation : Excelent (very good communication between parents and school)
URL: www.colegio-jardinverde.com

judith30

Jun 29, 2006
alic new world

Does anyone have contact details for Alic New World School ... the email, website, and telephone number? Thanks

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Centro Educativo Punta Cana.
allows kids certificates to study in the US.
teaching classes for all ages, including kindergarden.
all lessons are in spanish and in english, e.g. the maths the kiddies get teached in spanish in the morning lesson they get teached again in the afternoon by their english spoken maths teacher.
school offers pick up of the kids at home.
located right in front of the Punta Cana International Airport.
run and operated by Grupo Punta Cana.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

jventura

Aug 28, 2006
Hi i just had a question in regard of the school in santiago is the fee for the school year or monthly, We are located in tamboril is the Santiago christian school the nearest to us Iam looking for all english school for my childrens.
Thank you!

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
Hi i just had a question in regard of the school in santiago is the fee for the school year or monthly, We are located in tamboril is the Santiago christian school the nearest to us Iam looking for all english school for my childrens.
Thank you!

For Santiago Christian there is a one time admission fee that is between 22,575 RD and 52,675 depending on age (pre-k up to high school)
then there is an annual (once a year) registration fee between 24,952 RD and 33,820 RD
Finally the annual tuition is
62082 pre-k
86914 k-5th grade
104297 6th-8th
130371 high school

The tuition can be paid in 8 equal payments over the course of the year.
I do believe it is the closest school to tamboril. They are welcomed to visit for a day if they would like to try it.

morena21

Sep 3, 2006
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's a website/ email address for the Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana?

C

Chip00

Holy Trinity

Greetings fellow gringos. I send my daughter to Holy Trinity in Santiago and so far have been impressed as I've chatted with at least 5 or 6 teachers in English. They also say many students have left and went to high school or college and the US and have done fine. My daughter has already learned more in a month than she did in a year and a half in the Orange County public schools in Fl. They teach English as the main language early on and Spanish as a second language. The tuition is $3100RD monthly.

Chip

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Here in gazcue we enrolled my novia's 4 year old in:

Instituto Escuela
On calle deligne
3000 peso registration
3000 peso for materials
2,500 pesos per month

So far they seem pretty decent. . . .but she is 4 years old;-) They are teaching her in english and spanish and since I am also trying to teach her english it helps a ton. She knew how to count to 10 in english before spanish.

marielh

Dec 18, 2006
Hi all... I'm a teacher here in Santo Domingo and have worked here for the past 8 years at more than one school. I am a Canadian and currently work at one of the American accredited schools. I have read this thread several times and cannot stop myself from posting because I feel strongly that some of the information is not quite accurate.

First of all, many of the schools listed here as "bilingual" are not actually classified as bilingual, but rather as American schools. That being said, most schools are dual-language schools, meaning that most core subjects (language arts, social studies, math, science, etc.) are taught in English, but some subjects are taught in Spanish to fulfill the requirements of the Dominican Ministry of Education (like Spanish and sociales). Schools that fall in this category are St. Thomas, Dominico-Americano, St. Michael's, the American School, and many others. Students from these school graduate with both a US diploma and a Dominican diploma.

The only American school that doesn't require all of the Spanish classes is Carol Morgan, since it is the US Embassy school. Students there graduate with a US diploma, but not automatically with a Dominican diploma. They must elect to take the Spanish/Dominican stream if they want the Dominican diploma.

There are other schools that are truly classified as bilingual. In these schools, students take most classes in both languages. In other words, they take math in English and in Spanish, science in English and in Spanish, and so on. New Horizons is an example of a bilingual school.

I would also caution everyone strongly not to pay too much attention to the ratings of the Dominican government. I was working here when their survey of the schools took place. Much of the information they collected was not accurate and seemed to be politically motivated. For example, they said about the school where I work that our heads did not have any university degrees when, in fact, our heads each have at least one Master's degree each. They put other things in their report about our school such as that our receptionist had no desk, which was just laughable.

My overall advice is to do your own research and to do it in-depth. Go into the schools. Ask a lot of questions. The schools should be able to provide you with information about the teachers and their backgrounds (like where they are from and the degrees they have). I would recommend that you not be too swayed by outer appearances. As with everything here, some schools put a lot of stock into outer appearances and not much into real substance.

At the end of the day, I could give you my opinion about the schools, but it would be very biased and therefore ultimately not so useful. It really is best if people make up their minds for themselves. BTW, if you look in the yellow pages, you can find a pretty complete list of the English-language schools. Good luck to everyone searching!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks and welcome to DR1, marielh - your most informative post clarifies a lot of areas of confusion.